8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

TO-apprentice

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm interested in getting started on a Flip type project but based on what I've been reading it might not be a good time for this. Can anyone please help me with where I should start my research or possibly provide any advice on the current TO real estate market?

Hello everyone, I'm interested in getting started on a Flip type project but based on what I've been reading it might not be a good time for this. Can anyone please help me with where I should start my research or possibly provide any advice on the current TO real estate market?

Don't even think of it. Not meaning to be negative. Unless you are very handy, know what you are doing, and can basically do alot of work to add value yourself, this worked great when house prices were increasing. House prices have dropped since May of this year by about 5-10%. (At least in Toronto). Kind of tough to make money with the market pulling against you. Not impossible but with a rising market, every person could make money just being in the market. The reverse holds true in a down market.

Don't even think of it. Not meaning to be negative. Unless you are very handy, know what you are doing, and can basically do alot of work to add value yourself, this worked great when house prices were increasing. House prices have dropped since May of this year by about 5-10%. (At least in Toronto). Kind of tough to make money with the market pulling against you. Not impossible but with a rising market, every person could make money just being in the market. The reverse holds true in a down market.

From where are you getting that figure of 5-10% drop in price since May? that's not true at all, but if you can show some examples that would be great

I'm not quite sure where "interested" gets his data. But, to TO-apprentice: the time for flipping, if there ever was one, was years ago. Sorry, you've missed it. You will also find that mortgage requirements are tighter now that before, as mortgage lenders don't want to be left on the hook when your investment goes under water.

Prices have dropped 5-10%. Not saying you're wrong, but this is news to me. Do you have any supporting documentation

From where are you getting that figure of 5-10% drop in price since May? that's not true at all, but if you can show some examples that would be great

I will have to look further for you but I believe in Toronto in May the average price was around $460K and now it is closer to $430K.
Perhaps someone has the stats.
There is the site that some quote that I can't remember now which shows sales, listings, price etc monthly.
Hopefully someone will bring it up.
Sorry Carturo. If I am wrong I apologize but I do not believe that my memory is failing me. However, it would not be the first nor am I sure the last mistake I will ever make,.

The price average in Toronto (416 area) was $491,157 in October. April was $479,340. For the GTA it was $443,729 in October and $437,600 in April

From Remaxcondosplus: They put out a very useful monhly report. I follow this and have found it useful for years now.Latest report:

October/November Market Report 2010
Posted on October 15, 2010 by admin
SALES COMMENTARY:

September sales on TREB were 6300 units – up slightly from August but down 23% from September a year ago. It appears that sales have reached a plateau at just over 6,000 units per month. Usually October sales are higher than September. This year, preliminary October numbers are tracking for a 5% increase, which confirms that market activity bottomed out in August. We would describe this as a ‘normal’ fall market.

Looking at the downtown condo market, sales were off by just 15% from September of last year, suggesting that the condo market is outperforming the overall market. While sales are steady, it is the oversupply of condo listings which has held prices down. While interest rates for fixed rate mortgages are being lowered, this will have little impact on the market. Looking forward, we do not see any significant drop in prices. Some buildings have experienced price corrections of as much as 10% and others have had no drop in prices from the peak of the market in April. (Ignore reported year over year average price changes which are irrelevant and which are technically meaningless). Overall, the condo market is down 5%. In terms of new condo developments, we believe that prices will not go much higher than $600 per sf. The problem is not with costs but with rental rates that are too low! In Chicago, for example, two bedroom units rent for $3000 versus $2100 in Toronto. You can buy condo units in Chicago at $350 per sf – down from $500 at the peak. While we have always maintained that condos don’t move across borders, investors do! The new condo market is now dominated by investors. Need we say more?

This month we looked at sales on the Etobicoke waterfront which has the lowest waterfront prices – yes lower than Port Credit and Oakville. The building we selected was Grenadier Landing, more than 8 years old with very reasonable condo fees – about 55 cents per sf per month which includes all utilities except cable. The three units we tracked all had lake views. The first unit was a one bedroom plus den with parking, locker, and large balcony. It sold in May of this year for $315,000 and in September of ’09 for $310,000. The second unit, also a one bedroom plus den with parking, locker and balcony sold in February of this year for $310,000 and a year earlier (at the bottom of the last price correction) for $272,000. Going from trough to price peak produced an annual increase of 14%. The third unit, slightly smaller, was a one bedroom with parking, locker, and balcony but classified as a Penthouse. It sold for $305,000 also in February of this year. These sales confirm an average price of $450 per sf (including parking) and that prices are basically unchanged in the last twelve months.

RENTAL COMMENTARY:

As expected, the number of rental units leased downtown was lower in September: 26 studios, 273 one bedroom units, 144 two bedroom units, and 6 three bedroom units. This is a 15% drop from August due to seasonality. At the same time, rental prices increased slightly. Studios moved to $1300; whereas one bedroom units ranged from $1400 without parking to $1650 with a den and parking. Two bedroom units ranged from $2000 to $2250 for a den and parking. Six three bedroom units were leased at an average of $4000 per month. The most telling sign that the rental market is tightening is the ‘days on market’ to lease. For studios, it was 11 days; for one and two bedroom units it was 15. In fact units without parking rent 5 days faster!

Note the following: He believes Prices will not go down much but cannot increase beyond the $600/sq. ft. price level. I believe his point about investors must be taken very seriously. If prices will not increase, therefore expect no price appreciation, and investors can get better yield in Chicago, the international investor will consider this in his decision. Back to fundamentals

Regarding the rentals: the rental tightening is good for investors as evidenced by shorter time on the market and slight increase in price. However, we are expecting alot more product to hit now as condos are finished and that I believe will put pressure on rents.

I guess I have to defer to Condo George and accept that things are not deteriorating as fast as I feared, at least not so far but based on the lack of price increase in this report I don't know how there are any but very few select projects that would make economic sense at these levels. I have long maintained that at $400/sq. ft makes sense and at $500 condo investing is marginal at best (even questionable). I just don't get $600/sq. ft. as an investor.
Last edited by interested; 2010-Oct-16 at 12:30. Reason: further point

This is not the article I was looking for however it points to the same thing.
Carturo, I need to find the web site which shows sales. The point is the R/E organizations put out whatever stat supports their cause.
Prices were continuing to increase until about April this year. The year on year prices are decreasing because the prices got higher towards the end of the year. They peaked around April this year. Yes, Oct 09 compared to Oct 2010 is up 5% or whatever. But if you compare April or May 2010 to Oct and you need to compare Median prices not averages because there was a pickup apparently in higher priced sales which distorts averages, prices are off their peak.
I will continue to look for that web site.
In the mean time, Jamie Johnson who works for REmax Plus in Downtown TO (the market I am talking about) states prices are down 5%.
I will look for the web site and the data to support this further.
Please be patient.

Last edited:
I found the site. CN Tower refers to it. It is called guava
http://guava.ca/indicators.html
If you look at this, I was misremembering but Toronto Median Price is down and even the average is down somewhat from May 2010.
I believe this is true data and you can draw your own interpretation.

I would recommend you look at post 1779 from CN Tower on the Baby have we got a bubble thread.

Last edited:
The usual real estate spin on the data.
I would look at the data on guava.
It is raw data. Clearly the median price is dropping.
Comparing to last year when prices continued to increase until April is convenient because it hides the obvious trend looking at what is happening on a month by month basis.
As well, classically, there has been a slight drop in November and December and last year was the same.

I believe the proper interpretation of the data would be that prices essentially continued to rise in December 2009 until May 2010 and then started to fall though recently are back up slightly. Since condos make up so much of the market, and the sweet spot in the condo market sales (new product) according to "the experts" has been the mid-upper level condo market from 600-950/sq.ft., the product mix in sales is also at a higher price point thereby pulling up the average price if not the median price as well.

I'm not quite sure where "interested" gets his data. But, to TO-apprentice: the time for flipping, if there ever was one, was years ago. Sorry, you've missed it. You will also find that mortgage requirements are tighter now that before, as mortgage lenders don't want to be left on the hook when your investment goes under water

Guava.ca

Interested gets his info here:

As you can clearly see, the median price for Toronto housing peaked in May 2010. If your focus is a broad assessment of the Toronto housing market that's it. Ignore all other data, it is simply broker/industry spin. On the new condo front, I have read in Urbanation's report that Q3 was either the 2nd or 3rd worst quarter for new condo sales since 2005, indicative of a softening in that market as well. While it appears to be a seasonal trend that prices peak in the spring, the drop off looks more dramatic this year. I agree with Interested that the market peak is firmly behind us.

Last edited:
Wow, awesome info. That was exactly the kind of discussion I was hoping this thread might strike up, lots of good links too!

This all pretty much confirms what I've been reading elsewhere, that prices have dropped since this time last year. What I'm wondering though is, since prices have dropped wouldn't it be better to get into the market at a lower price or is that a bad idea because we don't know how much prices will continue to fall or how long it will take for them to rebound?

Wow, awesome info. That was exactly the kind of discussion I was hoping this thread might strike up, lots of good links too!

This all pretty much confirms what I've been reading elsewhere, that prices have dropped since this time last year. What I'm wondering though is, since prices have dropped wouldn't it be better to get into the market at a lower price or is that a bad idea because we don't know how much prices will continue to fall or how long it will take for them to rebound?

A bit like trying to catch a falling knife.
I would not do anything until I saw a clear trend of increasing prices again. You can never pick the bottom nor the top. All you can do is wait until things are clearer and rather pay a few percent more but have good indications that the market is again rising.
That said, I still believe that prices will continue to drop over the next year (but slowly).

Interested gets his info here:

As you can clearly see, the median price for Toronto housing peaked in May 2010. If your focus is a broad assessment of the Toronto housing market that's it. Ignore all other data, it is simply broker/industry spin. On the new condo front, I have read in Urbanation's report that Q3 was either the 2nd or 3rd worst quarter for new condo sales since 2005, indicative of a softening in that market as well. While it appears to be a seasonal trend that prices peak in the spring, the drop off looks more dramatic this year. I agree with Interested that the market peak is firmly behind us.

CN Tower, Thanks for clarifying guava. I actually found it in one of your previous posts. Great site. I assume the data is correct.

I had to laugh. Simplycondos website says that Charles Haynes is pleased that there is a slowdown in product coming to the market and that the developers have learned from the wild overbuilding in 1989. That part may be true but he still feels that it is a good time to buy "in the right projects". Another self promoting spin and to sign up with him.

How about saying: Developers have figured out that prices have peeked and to live in over an extended 5 year period makes sense. To invest a these prices anywhere, very little sense. Don't think we will read this however.

Back