40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

UserNameToronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
Do you agree with the author's logic?

http://torontorealtyblog.com/2009/04/08/selling-the-un-sellable

"I drive by this “FOR SALE” sign every single day on my way to the office, and everyday I think, “Who would ever buy that house? That thing will never sell!”

Well, as of last week it seems there is somebody out there willing to prove me wrong!

This real estate story deals with the truly unique…"

Last edited:
To each their own, I guess.

Personally, I wouldn't live there bc of the reasons cited by the author ... 2 highway overpasses and the future construction.

One thing that strikes my curiosity though, ... which one of the 11 houses could it be on Percy?
In the photo shown, there are only 8 in a row, so presumably, the other 3 are on the same side as the plot of land.
Since I don't see a 'for sale/sold' sign infront of any of the 8 ... can I assume that it's one of the other 3?
If so, perhaps it's an investor hoping to flip it to Streetcar, or the developer themselves looking to aquire the entire strip?

I'm not quite sure I understand the point the author was trying to make. However what I got out of it was that there are sacrafices and concessions that every buyer is willing to make to own his or her own 'dream home' and every buyer is different. For the author the sense of boxed in nature of the street, the construction site (and future development), and the highway on ramp are all incentives not to buy here, and one would assume that they would be for the majority of buyers out there. However there are a few people out there that are willing to buy here (sanity check not withstanding). Keep in mind that at $300 000 this property is far from an entry level, low income home. This is being bought by someone who has some choice in where they want to live ($300k can still buy a decent home, just maybe not downtown) and for whatever reason they chose that property.

Now as long as they don't become NIMBY's complaining about the construction, Highway, etc that they should have been well aware of at the time of purchase. Then all power to them.

In the end it's all about what you're willing and unwilling to sacrafice when buying a home. Be that price, location, etc.

** Edit **

@ CDR

Looks like you are right.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.655438,-79.358003&spn=0.003446,0.006866&t=h&z=17

There appear to be 3 or 4 additional homes just past the building in the construction site. Maybe someone, as you said, is hoping to flip to the developer.

It looks like a really sad 'hood. Why not just put a park there rather than trying to shoehorn in some houses that are never going to be much.

Last edited:

Back