Oh no.. this is really unfortunate. I agree with you - this area of the city really needs another grocery store, and this would have been a great location.

I wonder what the cause for the revision was? I suppose the decision is also somewhat final, or at least with little to no chance of being reverted, huh?
I assume this means that they were unable to attract a grocery retailer to the development. I live in a neighbourhood which also failed to find a major supermarket willing to take space in a new development—it happens.

In this case, there are plans for a supermarket on the second floor of home: Power and Adelaide a few blocks to the south (I don't know who is aiming to fill that space), and rumours of a mid-sized grocery retailer at Canary Commons a few more blocks south on Front, although that'll be less helpful to Regent Parkers.

Do you know if that is the application or it's already been approved? I wonder if there is any opportunity for neighbourhood residents to provide their input regarding this change.
No idea, but it seems like a done deal as it's now reflected in the updated archetectual plans. the discovery was suprising as all indications pointed to a grocery store there. So, perhaps as quickly as things change, they could change back?

It would be wise to add a grocery store on the east end of RP. In the next 3 years, there will be 4 new market condos, 3 new tchc buildings, plus the handful of new development east of river st. (defries street and labatt ave). That Freshco would not be able to accomodate this huge increase in residents.

I believe there will be a request for proposal (phase 4 and 5) meeting with residents in the summer months.. perhaps some input could be shared there? Otherwise, I am not sure what other avenues there are to provide input to Daniels.

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 9.36.16 AM.png

Two cranes up and forming moving along. Couldn't stop for a photo, but if anyone is in the area, please shoot!

Globe & Mail: "Daniels partners with charity to create assisted-living apartment in Regent Park"

(...without paywall)

Back