PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto

1581181299129.png

Now under construction with occupancies expected in less than a year, Field House is the first Daniels community to boast the EcoUrban designation. The community features 24, three-storey townhomes, ranging in size from just over 1,319 square feet to just over 1,700 square feet.

Prices at Field House start at $1.1 million.

It is anticipated that these EcoUrban towns, once constructed and occupied, will use 52% less energy, emit 89% fewer greenhouse gases and reduce energy costs by 11% as compared to Daniels' traditional townhouse product. Furthermore, approximately 18% of the development's energy needs will be supplied by the integrated solar panel array.

These homes use all electric building systems, thereby enabling residents to live 'fossil fuel free.' They also benefit from low VOC paint, high efficiency heat pumps, triple glazed windows, low flow faucets, and single flush low consumption toilets. Suite hydro and water will be individually metered using 'Smart Meter" technologies.

Prices at Field House start at $1.1 million.
More like Eco-out-of-reach-for-the-general population?

These homes use all electric building systems, thereby enabling residents to live 'fossil fuel free.' They also benefit from low VOC paint, high efficiency heat pumps, triple glazed windows, low flow faucets, and single flush low consumption toilets. Suite hydro and water will be individually metered using 'Smart Meter" technologies.
Also, whatever happened to creating buildings that don't require tons of "smart tech" to make them sustainable? My opinion from another post:

Because society has become addicted to technological consumption and the belief that more = better.

Saving the environment has become more about gizmo-green (LEED! Windmills! Trees. On. Roofs!) than actual passive-green. The existing economic order is happy to accommodate the former, largely because it's progressive-looking, flashy, and results in more consumption while the underlying systems are unchanged.
[...]
And of course, when things go wrong, these machines prove to be incredibly delicate and in many cases, unrepairable. And another side effect are the increasing numbers of unexpected second and third-level effects that are the result of making things so complex (i.e. unrecyclability of the tech, destructive off-shored extraction for manufacturing, huge global supply chains, toxins in manufactured materials).

Also, did they downgrade from brick to stucco/EIFs? Design in the rendering looks nothing like the finished product.

Last edited:
Everything about the Regent Park redevelopment is SO geometric/90 degree angle. I realize most new structures are like this but the LEGO-like look of these structures stultifies the visual imagination. Eco is great. How about a bit of angular deviation from strict vertical/horizontal line

Pics taken May 23rd, 2021:

1621874154441.png

1621874174644.png

1621874190973.png

Overall, I think these have turned out quite sharp..........but there's something about the materiality on the canopies over the doors that I'm not crazy about.......colour is fine.

I don't know, I think it gives off a bit of cheap laminate vibe to me.

1621874250741.png

Back