That seems like way too much retail.

I'm inclined to that view myself.

But assuming that number is accurate, I will reserve judgement until I see what's proposed.

From UT's front page story..............

Here: https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2020/12/tridel-wins-bid-build-phases-4-5-regent-park-revitalization

This caught my attention:

The blocks would also feature a combined 37,296 m² of retail space.

That's over 400,000ft2

Equivalent to a mid-sized mall, or about 10 healthy sized supermarkets!
Honestly it looks like they mixed up sf and sm. It also says there is 2,000,000 sm of residential, across about 2,000 units! That's about 10,000 square feet per unit.

Honestly it looks like they mixed up sf and sm. It also says there is 2,000,000 sm of residential, across about 2,000 units! That's about 10,000 square feet per unit.

Good catch.

Looking at this graphic; from this report, I don't see m2 or f2 specified; but only f2 would seem to make sense.

1608127622652.png

from here: https://www.torontohousing.ca/event... - Public Attachment 2 - Block Statistics.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for catching that everyone! I have corrected the article. I suppose we have become too used to seeing m² for most projects now, especially public sector ones, that we didn't think through the numbers when reporting them.

Tridel just got themselves a lobbyist for this.

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32155​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

Regent Park Revitalization Phases 4 & 5 - masterplanning and design

Of note.......the lobbyist isn't local......

KARAKUSEVIC CARSON ARCHITECTS - London, UK

Architect's site:

Nice, understated. Seem to have a track record in UK social housing?

AoD

Wow, that is super interesting -- they've long been a favourite of mine, in a long list of very good UK-based firms I'd like to see get work in Toronto (Alison Brooks is another, so hopefully Dream wins the Quayside bid). This will be another good test to see if Tridel can not muck up the work of a good designer.

1628173456986.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 10.23.55 AM.png

1628173509523.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 10.25.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 10.26.15 AM.png

All pics are theirs.

News on this from a report to the September 2nd meeting of the Building Investment, Finance and Audit Committee of TCHC.

Advance tease: More Masterplanning costs...........as more density incoming.

From the Report:

1631912444704.png

1631912473849.png

Underlying info:

1631912530990.png

* note, the new public library mentioned will almost certainly be a re-lo of the existing Gerrard-Parliament location, but with a significant expansion.

Rezoning Submission targeted for December 2021

Final Approval from the City targeted for 2023

I think there's value in retaining an existing regent park building. Like it or not the old Regent Park is a key part of the area's history and I think it's important to have something to highlight that. They aren't beautiful buildings but they hold important historical context.

Ideally it would have been one of the larger buildings that used to exist along Dundas, but I understand there were practical reasons those buildings couldn't be retained.

I think there's value in retaining an existing regent park building. Like it or not the old Regent Park is a key part of the area's history and I think it's important to have something to highlight that. They aren't beautiful buildings but they hold important historical context.

Ideally it would have been one of the larger buildings that used to exist along Dundas, but I understand there were practical reasons those buildings couldn't be retained.

I'd rather save one of those old Dickinson slabs than these nondescript, functionally obsolete buildings for the sake of memory.

AoD

Back