This looks very promising! I think it's the best phase of Regent Park's redevelopment. I have one major concern....

Each of the northern buildings has a 'private amenity' courtyard with no exterior links / pedestrian walkways between them. Could their enclosed and secluded nature be an enabler for crime?

We have to learn from the social housing projects of the past and the entire master-planned redevelopment aims to do that but I am concerned about the lack of circulation which could result in less natural surveillance.

Each of the northern buildings has a 'private amenity' courtyard with no exterior links / pedestrian walkways between them. Could their enclosed and secluded nature be an enabler for crime?

We have to learn from the social housing projects of the past and the entire master-planned redevelopment aims to do that but I am concerned about the lack of circulation which could result in less natural surveillance.

A fair question.

I think the answer would lie in understanding why there is an association historically with such spaces and crime.

1) They are out of general view

2) They aren't well frequented (by the general public/residents)

3) Limited police access if private property

4) People may be trapped (limited means of egress)

5) lack of proper lighting

Amongst other things.

What do we (probably) know is different here?

1) I think we're safe in assuming these spaces will be well lit, and likely have cameras

2) All of these spaces do open on to the public realm, the same public realm which is intended to be vital and should minimize issues of confusion or any maze-like quality.

3) The openings appear to be reasonably wide and unlikely to trap someone.

What's less clear?

1) What are the intentions around police access to these spaces?

2) What is being done to keep these spaces positively animated?

Any obvious potential problems?

1) Just one to me, the shapes of the buildings all show a 'hook' in the form, typically of an 11s building one of the southern extents of the northern buildings. That hook does create a single invisible corner in its L-shape.

All in all, I wouldn't be instantly worried by this conceptually, but the details are definitely worth examining in further detail.

Last edited:
As a Cabbagetowner I'm glad to see mid rise along Gerrard. I do hope that unlike the missed opportunity with Dundas, that the opportunity is taken to reconfigure Gerrard St. between River and Parliament with separated bike paths in both directions, ideally with keeping a right lane still for cars and a middle lane for streetcars.

Dundas is a mess because they added bike lanes after the fact, taking away a lane for cars, meaning that a single car can block the streetcars. Unless we're going to remove all private vehicles from Dundas or Gerrard, we need to make space for them so they don't cause transit delays. One thing that should be done now is to close the northbound DVP ramp at Dundas - that causes huge delays and puts WB cyclists and pedestrians at risk.

As it is, with just the 505 and 506 streetcars and the 65 bus I don't see how all these new condo/apartment dwellers are going to get around. During rush hour I can often walk from College Station to my place near Sumach and Carlton and arrive at Parliament St. before a 506 streetcar.

Public Meeting tonight, City Slides...

1654820921118.png

1654820945516.png

1654820965236.png

1654820986622.png

1654821004415.png

1654821021890.png

1654821038845.png

Public Meeting tonight, TCHC / Tridel Slides...

1654821091174.png

1654821107288.png

1654821124846.png

1654821146135.png

1654821167462.png

1654821232539.png

I'm disappointed they are no longer planning on repurposing one of the existing buildings, but otherwise, this is coming along just great.

Not to keen on that idea myself - so I am not missing it one bit (plus doing it probably would have reduced the overall density as well).

AoD

I'm disappointed they are no longer planning on repurposing one of the existing buildings, but otherwise, this is coming along just great.
It think it will be better for everyone that the buildings will be gone lol, I have extended family who lived across the street and they cannot wait for these buildings to be demo'd

It is incredibly dumb that they are not incorporating the library into one of the taller buildings and then building a taller building there. Otherwise, this is working for me.

As a Cabbagetowner I'm glad to see mid rise along Gerrard. I do hope that unlike the missed opportunity with Dundas, that the opportunity is taken to reconfigure Gerrard St. between River and Parliament with separated bike paths in both directions, ideally with keeping a right lane still for cars and a middle lane for streetcars.

Dundas is a mess because they added bike lanes after the fact, taking away a lane for cars, meaning that a single car can block the streetcars. Unless we're going to remove all private vehicles from Dundas or Gerrard, we need to make space for them so they don't cause transit delays. One thing that should be done now is to close the northbound DVP ramp at Dundas - that causes huge delays and puts WB cyclists and pedestrians at risk.

As it is, with just the 505 and 506 streetcars and the 65 bus I don't see how all these new condo/apartment dwellers are going to get around. During rush hour I can often walk from College Station to my place near Sumach and Carlton and arrive at Parliament St. before a 506 streetcar.
To me, the problem with keeping a lane for cars with streetcars in the middle is that a certain percentage of drivers in this city are inconsiderate, dangerous and have a bad habit of driving past streetcars with the doors open, because what's bouncing a few pedestrians off your hood gonna matter when you're in a 3 tonne SUV anyway? Now that could be solved if we were just allowed to use the cameras on streetcars to fine anyone who doesn't stop for a streetcar with the doors open, but that would make way too much sense.

Back