Not to be off topic, but in all the excitement, I want to note that the project up near Jane/Finch is still unfunded (after they demolished the old townhomes no less); and there are so many other TCHC communities that would benefit from this type of exercise that aren't even getting planning money.

If this level of care and detail were applied to renewing Cataraqui Crescent (Warden north of Danforth); Chester Li (VP north of Finch); Jamestown up in the Albion area; the entire set of buildings around Kingston/Lawrence/Galloway, Godstone Manor and many more, significant new purpose-built rental, affordable ownership, some new RGI could all be added, along with creating much nicer buildings and communities for residents.

So much retail on Gerrard! And an actual streetwall! 😍 This might be the best revitalization project in Toronto yet! And 100% the best phase of the Regent Park redo.
I am hoping the retail isn’t professional offices like much of Dundas west of Sackville, but instead traffic heavier cafes and retail.

You can be excited about a new facility without denigrating the poor and mentally ill.
There’s nothing wrong with being poor. Including people of all incomes is one of the greatest things about the Regent Park redevelopment. And we all in RP and Cabbagetown deserve a library that’s as nice an experience for our children and families as that in Leaside or anywhere else in the city.

As for the mentally ill, I can’t say if the drunks screaming in my local library are mentally ill - not everyone is broken, some people are just sh#ts. Either way, this city and province has decided that deinstitutionalization and living in shelters and on the street is the best we can offer such people - that‘s the true denigration you speak of. That doesn’t fault users of libraries that want to enjoy the space without fear or violent disruptions. Perhaps when the new library is built the city can replace the old one with permanent supportive housing for the mentally ill and addicted.

In the meantime, I’m looking forward to visiting the new library and to enjoying a little bit of civility that so much of the city outside of downtown east gets to take for granted.

Last edited:
So much retail on Gerrard! And an actual streetwall! 😍 This might be the best revitalization project in Toronto yet! And 100% the best phase of the Regent Park redo.
100%. We used to live in one of the Phase 1 towns on Oak Street. Sold that home nearly 10 years ago but have always kept an eye on this last phase with a thought of returning. Those north-facing podium units, with Gerrard and Parliament streets on your doorstep, and views of Riverdale Park and the Don Valley in the distance framed by Cabbagetown rooftops in the foreground, are a dream. Will be interesting to watch for effects on the north side of Gerrard also. Several interesting ‘missing middle’ opportunities there.

Will be interesting to watch for effects on the north side of Gerrard also. Several interesting ‘missing middle’ opportunities there.
Me too. Pretty much the entirely from the NE corner of Gerrard and Parliament to the empty parking lot east of the thrift store is just calling out for low to mid rise redevelopment.

I hope we get a non-chain cafe or two along Gerrard. The retail facing Dundas is rather disappointing, but since that area already has a Tims, Wendys, Shoppers plus a length of nondescript offices and bank space, hopefully we’ll escape the same fate on Gerrard.

I also hope that Gerrard between River and Parliament gets separated bike lanes, just like Dundas. Reduce cars to one lane, add an advanced green signal to clear WB cars turning left to Parliament, so to keep the streetcar moving. I’d do the same on Parliament - scrap the onstreet parking, widen the sidewalks and added separated bike lanes. The shops on Parliament get most of their customers from walk ins, not drivers.

Last edited:
Is the rendering of all these buildings set in stone! Because I think it looks nice keeping the traditional brick precast look for the remaining buildings of phase 4-5. This is also a handful for Koops to render and have a flyby on lol!

Resubmission has been filed w/the City (early April '23)

From the Docs:

1683819734667.png

1683819772422.png

* snip*

1683819831505.png

1683819989174.png

1683820027067.png

1683820074766.png

Look who the architect of record is..........don't see this all that often:

1683820154419.png

1683820288462.png

1683820323842.png

1683820390677.png

No detailed renders of buildings at this stage.

However, the precedents cited in the Urban Design files will get many here excited.

Last edited:
The revitalization of this area has been hardly short of a miracle. The desolation that afflicted this entire part of the city seemed irremediable. I'm so proud (and sometimes amazed) that Toronto did this so well, so thoroughly, over such a length of time.
This area now has some of the sophisticated intermixing, busy-ness and sparkle that I loved seeing around the relatively new St. Lawrence area when I first came to the city. That sense of a meaningful public intervention, by a civil society, to create something of worth both urbanistically and for the people.
I had a friend up from New York who used to live around Sherbourne-Wellesley about eighteen years ago. We went by St. Jamestown and walked down through Regent Park. He was astonished. I had been beaking that Toronto should be doing so much more - but he stated flatly that compared to New York, which tends to focus on spectacular singular projects, Toronto was working wonders. "This city gets things done!", he said. I was a little surprised, but he could be right.
Anyway. Looking very much forward to this last, long part of the haul put into place. A streetwall on Gerrard. Retail. A pleasant walk from here to there. Who would have thought?

After an extensive international search and a Qualifications-Based Selection (QBS) process, TCHC has announced that architectsAlliance (a-A), in collaboration with Danish firm Cobe Architects, have been chosen to design the next building in the ongoing Regent Park revitalization project. This collaboration will bring the community’s vision for Phases 4 and 5 to life.

Working together, a—A and Cobe will design Building 1A on the 69-acre revitalization project. This 26-storey mixed-use residential building, located on Block 2 of Regent Park’s Phase 4 lands, will offer approximately 274 TCHC units, generous community spaces, and even a rooftop farm. The design will prioritize accessibility, exceeding the Ontario Building Code and meeting the standards set by the Responsible Personal Accessibility in Toronto Housing (R-PATH) Committee.

Building 1A holds significant importance as it will be the first site in the last phases of the Regent Park revitalization. It will also adhere to the City’s new Toronto Green Standards (Version 4, Tier 2), aiming to achieve a near-net zero carbon standard—a remarkable first for Regent Park and for a TCHC building of this scale.

The design collaboration, in close consultation with the Regent Park master plan consultant team and TCHC’s developer partner Tridel, seeks to elevate the overall design of the Regent Park community. It will draw inspiration from the beautiful and functional architectural features that have become a signature of the Regent Park revitalization. Moreover, the building will set the standard for future developments in Phases 4 and 5, aligned with the community vision set by the recent Regent Park rezoning approval.

TCHC has prior experience working with a—A on the first project of Phase 1 of the Regent Park revitalization. The Dundas-Sackville Apartments, certified with LEED Silver, set a high benchmark for architectural excellence in subsequent phases of the project. Demonstrating TCHC’s commitment to environmental sustainability and accessibility in all new developments and revitalized buildings.

Both a—A and Cobe share a reputation for designing quality multi-unit residential buildings. Recently, they joined forces to design apartment buildings in Toronto’s Canary District as part of the West Don Lands redevelopment project, which integrates affordable rental and market housing along with various amenities and services catering to citizens of all ages and life stages.

This one was approved, as noted above, a few months back; however, an 'H' was applied.

An Application has now been made to lift the holding provisions.

This can be done on a delegated basis by staff and does not require Council approval.

Back