Because they get an upgraded track (that's actually an oval) and the same amount of open space, not to mention a school for the neighbourhood teenagers that is not falling apart, and even has a significant sized green roof, you know, to battle that pesky global warming thing.

how does the eglinton subway platform have anything to do with a development 3 blocks away? The field is bigger and better than before, the auditorium will be state of the art (in highschool terms) - which will be used for various functions within the area, and the development itself will increase property values and the general aura for the surrounding neighborhood, as well as making the area that much nicer. Sure tridel will make a buck or two, but the overall plan is better than leaving that old building as it is, or settling for a cheaper building funded by the government... Get over it already!

Because they get an upgraded track (that's actually an oval) and the same amount of open space, not to mention a school for the neighbourhood teenagers that is not falling apart, and even has a significant sized green roof, you know, to battle that pesky global warming thing.

how does the eglinton subway platform have anything to do with a development 3 blocks away? The field is bigger and better than before, the auditorium will be state of the art (in highschool terms) - which will be used for various functions within the area, and the development itself will increase property values and the general aura for the surrounding neighborhood, as well as making the area that much nicer. Sure tridel will make a buck or two, but the overall plan is better than leaving that old building as it is, or settling for a cheaper building funded by the government... Get over it already!

Wow, brains is right, the community is getting screwed!!

So, Brains, you're calling Mike and Walt 'hired guns', yet your moniker is 'mybriansyourmoney'? At least anyone hiring the other two would know that their money would be well spent on people who deal in facts and have deep knowledge of the industry, as opposed to going to someone who spouts opinions that have been formed through uninformed speculation.

And another thing...

before taking pot shots at other members here, you can quickly check to see how many posts others have here, and you see their join date, and you can even click on a link that will take you back through their older posts. A little research in that regard might have shown you that both Mike In TO and Observer Walt are long-time, knowledgeable, respected members here...

So, right now you sort of resemble a pirate who has sailed into our little harbour just to in time to scuttle your own ship. Before you do sink, you might want to rethink your tactics and take advantage of all you can learn from some of the more respected members here.

Smart. Brains.

chillydog.jpg

Until construction commenced the neighborhood enjoyed open, public and free use of a park-like setting; something badly needed in this area.

It appears that once complete the new facility will function more like a stadium than a community amenity. I would expect additional security coming from the new relatively high end buyers. Also, the streetscape will change dramatically on what was a nice tranquil transition off Yonge Street. The strip off Broadway is going to become significantly more conjested after the completion of this development.

In my opinion the improvement of the school seems very secondary here to the priority of a big money high density 2 tower condominium project. It might have been better if TDCB was just given fair market value cash for the property and started over elsewhere. This blending of uses feels awkward to me. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Until construction commenced the neighborhood enjoyed open, public and free use of a park-like setting; something badly needed in this area.

What leads you to believe that the new facility will not be available to the public as all other schools (including this one) are?

It appears that once complete the new facility will function more like a stadium than a community amenity.

Again, what leads you to believe this? What evidence do you have besides a few renders and site plans? I don't believe the new field has a seating component, so what makes it a stadium?

I would expect additional security coming from the new relatively high end buyers.

Security for the buildings is inevitable, yes, but why would they also police the school (the facility is being 'handed over' to the TSB)?

Also, the streetscape will change dramatically on what was a nice tranquil transition off Yonge Street. The strip off Broadway is going to become significantly more conjested after the completion of this development.

I expect that Tridel was required to do the same traffic analysis studies that all developments must produce as part of their application.

In my opinion the improvement of the school seems very secondary here to the priority of a big money high density 2 tower condominium project.

Except that Tridel is now footing a large part of the bill.

It might have been better if TDCB was just given fair market value cash for the property and started over elsewhere. This blending of uses feels awkward to me. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Fine, the TSB sells the land and starts anew elsewhere. Is Tridel still required to chip in? Whose on the hook for the new land? Fundamentally, how would removing a school from the community help anyone?

mybrainsyourmoney, no offence, but you have polluted this thread with your fantasy notions of development, your baseless opinions and made up facts and your constant repeating of dislike for this project. We get it already. Its just too bad we have had to suffer your ignorance for this many pages.

(rant over)

Slightly off topic, but it flows into the previous discussion.

Former Toronto City Manager Shirley Hoy has been the CEO of the Toronto Lands Corporation (Created by the Toronto District School Board to sell surplus properties and work with both private sector and public sector stakeholders... yes this is all legit). This venture is based on the tremendous success of the Republic / North Toronto site for all stakeholders involved in the process.

The TDSB has identified 97 non-operating school sites and approved the sale of 16 of the sites. Public sector partners have shown interest in 7 of the sites. The Toronto Lands Corp is reviewing options for a site at 1710 Ellesmere Road (Harold Lawson property) is currently looking to find a development partner for residential and office space.

If people are interested in more info on the specific sites or the Board of Directors (all top end and highly respected people - so there is no need to continue the previous discussion) I could start a new thread.

^ Already being discussed under "Toronto Issues".

It's very good to see that they are finally trying to capitalize on their large amount of surplus real estate.

July 9

I have said for years that schools, daycare, library etc must become part of projects like this as it will make better use of the land as well be able to use them 7/24. Where school are part of a project like this, there must be land for playing fields not just for track, football or soccer since not everyone want to do these sports.

This is in that right step and needs to look at after it done to see what can be improve on for other locations.

Schools (k-8) don't have to as large as they are today and can be smaller the meet the areas needs better as well making a shorter walk to school to stop ppl driving their kids there in the first place.
IMG_july-09-09-0001.jpg

IMG_july-09-09-0002.jpg

IMG_july-09-09-0003.jpg

IMG_july-09-09-0004.jpg

Precast..........................................ugh!!
IMG_july-09-09-0005.jpg

IMG_july-09-09-0011.jpg

Couple of cement trucks pull up as about to shoot a better shot location for this side.
IMG_july-09-09-0016.jpg

IMG_july-09-09-0021.jpg

great update drum118 ! thanks for the pics ~

judging from what's built so far, 25 Broadway @ Republic is turning to be a little pale / plain don't you think? off-white precast with white spandrels ... :( ... I didn't realise this detail when I first saw the rendering

buildings_400.jpg

The towers are designed by Burka, but the school element is being handled by CS&P Architects who specialize in educational facilities. There is one excellent, high-res render on their site (Render 4).

Link to CS&P Website

P.s. If someone has time, can they transport that high-res render into the thread? Thanks in advance!

Back