A blank 42 storey north-facing wall? That is extremely dissapointing.

Just because there are no windows on a wall does not mean it will be blank. From the renderings in the video, it looks as though the north side of the tower will still be covered in glass.

Anyone hear anything about percetage sold?

Just because there are no windows on a wall does not mean it will be blank. From the renderings in the video, it looks as though the north side of the tower will still be covered in glass.

indeed Ramako ... the north wall will have no window openings, but will be covered in spandrel glass ~

The rezoning was approved (as noted above) back in October, 2009. No word on site plan approval yet however.

Construction Imminent?

Last call at Royal Canadian Military Institute
Club to move to temporary location before returning as part of a condominium project

Liam Casey, June18 2010

Drinks flowed from the taps of the long bar at the Royal Canadian Military Institute for the final time Friday before the 100-year-old building is torn down for a highrise condominium.

But the club will rise again.

In two years, once the building is complete near the corner of University Ave. and Dundas St. W., the military institute will return to occupy six floors, more than double its current space, while 36 floors of condo units will rise above that. Friday was a time for looking both forward and back.

“I used to come down here every morning and smoke a cigar, have lunch and go back to work,†said Bill Heath, 81, “and I use that term loosely.â€

Heath has been a member since the early 1950s. His friend, Gerry Jackson, 80, became a member of the club in 1958.

“My commanding officer brought me here in 1958,†said Jackson. “We were informed that we would join.â€

Paul Cowley has been a member, along with his wife Brenda, since 1974. The couple enjoyed the club’s regular history nights, and one featured a talk from a German naval submariner from the Second World War.

“It makes you realize the conditions were the same for both sides,†said Brenda Cowley. “They all had the same concerns, same worries, same fears, and same hopes. It humanized it.â€

The club also celebrates Canada’s rich war history. One of its prizes sits upstairs: the pilot seat that Manfred von Richthofen, Germany’s famed Red Baron, died in.

The new space will replicate the old one as much as possible, right down to the long bar, where patrons were downing $1 drinks Friday afternoon. “Until the taps run dry,†said Lieut.-Col. James Breithaupt, the club’s president.

Two cannons, which usually sit outside the club, have already been removed and the 20,000-volume library collection is awaiting packing.

In the interim two years, members will have a temporary home at the Albany Club.

Membership is open to the public now and the current crew is hopeful their upstairs neighbours will join in two years.

“The problem with a club like this . . . is the old wartime guys are all in their eighties now,†said Paul Cowley. “And let’s face it, they are all dying off.â€

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/825886--last-call-at-royal-canadian-military-institute

I spoke to a planner at the John Street meeting last week who indicated that she thought construction would be starting soon as sales had went very well.

Weren't a lot of you "experts" out there predicting this building would never sell because it had no parking? There's been lots of wrong predictions in the last few years. "Trump will never get built". lol

Weren't a lot of you "experts" out there predicting this building would never sell because it had no parking? There's been lots of wrong predictions in the last few years. "Trump will never get built". lol

No kidding..they are still predicting the big crash. Yeah, if you look back its the same doom and gloom guys.

Personally, I was suggesting that this building represents a bad precedence for future development should it prove successful. People do drive but most residential developers rather not build parking.

Toronto "benefitted" from the wordwhile real estate crisis. The correction is still coming and the more severe it will be the longer things drag on. You honestly believe some crap condo selling for $600 a square foot will be worth $800 a square in a few years? Locals can't even afford the $600 a square foot.

Back