Oh man you're weird. You must be a dreamer, because you're always in la la land.

It's nowhere near a "shanty town". It's surrounded by the entertainment district and office buildings.

It's interesting how this luxury hotel is so close to a shanty town--Wellington and Bathurst. I don't think I'd pay $$$$$ to live here.

Haha, you think Bathurst and Wellington is a shanty town? Don't you live up near the Junction? That place is far closer to being a shanty town than Bathurst/Wellington.

I lived at Bathurst and Wellington for many years. It is a shantytown west of Bathurst. Ever walked the alleyways? Seen the characters roaming the area? I am not talking about lofts and condos here, I'm talking about the residents of old Victorian era buildings.

The Ritz Carleton Junction? No. The RC area is very sterile and boring, I've spent many weekend mornings in the area recently. It is most definitely not Ritzy. Is it close to drab bay street types? Yes. Glamourous? Hell no.

Shot from Telus at York St., April 12. From this angle it looks as if RC and the Bank of America are one building.

DSC_5600BW1000h.jpg

It's interesting how this luxury hotel is so close to a shanty town--Wellington and Bathurst. I don't think I'd pay $$$$$ to live here.

Sort of like all those big homes in Rosedale and most of Yorkville is equildistant to St. Jamestown right? Who'd want to live there?

You should be asking Peter Freed about why he set up the Thompson Hotel right in what you refer to as a "shanty town."

here we go again....

Urbandreamer making another ridiculous remark about something that doesn't make sense. The condos are nowhere near Bathurst and Wellington. With this thinking, why would anyone in their right mind buy a place downtown knowing that somewhere within a couple of miles is a sketchy neighborhood. Right? Truly ignorant thinking here.

Actually, he's got a point. It really isn't a ritzy neighbourhood at the moment. That might start to change once the Lightbox opens, 300 Front takes out that parking lot, and Theatre Park gets approved. Oh, and the RTH expansion would help (looking at a loading dock when you go out the front door doesn't exactly inspire thoughts of glamour).

I'm not saying it's a bad neighbourhood, and I like many of the businesses and restaurants in the area, but you do have to sort of wonder what they were thinking when they picked this particular location

The area isn't that great to live in, I'll admit that. However, the area is going to change a lot. When buildings like this come along, so does the business.

The roof portion of this tower is taking now quite some time to complete. I was hoping to see it wrapped up by the end of the month.....but im not sure now.

Actually, he's got a point. It really isn't a ritzy neighbourhood at the moment. That might start to change once the Lightbox opens, 300 Front takes out that parking lot, and Theatre Park gets approved. Oh, and the RTH expansion would help (looking at a loading dock when you go out the front door doesn't exactly inspire thoughts of glamour).

I'm not saying it's a bad neighbourhood, and I like many of the businesses and restaurants in the area, but you do have to sort of wonder what they were thinking when they picked this particular location

He doesn't have a point, but you seem to be scrambling to create one for him. It's just another nonsensical ramble from the navel-gazing jester.

What were they thinking when they picked the location? I don't know...maybe that its walking distance to most of the best shopping, restaurants, clubs etc in the city? Not to mention being exceptionally close to Skydome and the ACC, the financial district, St. Lawrence market, a few decent concert halls and theatres, etc. But yeah, they should have put this at Hwy 7 and Yonge.

On another note, the shape of this building is quite apparent and, dare I say it, stunning, on the view coming in from the west (on the Gardner).

Back