There are quite a few decent rooftop patios scattered about on our older, shorter buildings, but we could definitely use some more high up in the skyscrapers.

Workers tending to the glass panels this afternoon

4477069363_b512b46412_o.jpg

Thanks for the photo ^^^
It really emphasizes how transparent the glass is.. will it look that ugly (with the steel visible right through) when its complete! The glass is soooo clear... it looks a little ugly with the steel behind it.. maybe when they install more glass on the other sides it'll look nicer! :D

Relax Steveve
The steel you see is a tempoary scaffold to instal the panels which will be removed in due time.

okay... good... cause the steel looks damn ugly! Can't wait till they put up the Ritz logo! Hopefully it isn't overpowered by RBC next door :p

Sadly the restaurant and bar will be located on the lobby level, Talk about a missed opportunity I'm surprised there isn't more top floor restaurants in the city when you look at how successful Canoe is at top the TD Bank Tower

The upper levels of this building are high end condos. I'm certain the developer wasn't interested in dedicating one elevator shaft to bypass these levels just to get people to the top. Especially considering the ultimate in top floor restaurants is located a few blocks away at the CN Tower.

Great photo nicetommy!! I hadn't realised they were so far up with the cladding!! can't wait for the Ritz to be completed!

okay... good... cause the steel looks damn ugly! Can't wait till they put up the Ritz logo! Hopefully it isn't overpowered by RBC next door :p

The heavier steel structure will remain behind the panels of course, so if that's what you're not liking, get used to it!

I think it's amazing that they decided to go with a totally windowed mechanical penthouse: we'll have another lantern up top to compliment RBC Dexia, many CityPlace towers, and presumably the Festival Tower as well. I certainly like what the lanterns bring to the nighttime skyline.

Here, it remains to be seen what the slanted roof itself will impart to the finished look. I'm suddenly hoping for all glass, but I doubt they want a hothouse up there! Mind you, Daniels' Limelight project in Mississauga is going to feature a rooftop greenhouse, so I have some license to dream...

I think it's amazing that they decided to go with a totally windowed mechanical penthouse: we'll have another lantern up top to compliment RBC Dexia, many CityPlace towers, and presumably the Festival Tower as well. I certainly like what the lanterns bring to the nighttime skyline.

I'm pretty surprised by this as well. Will be interesting to see it lit up at night.

Sadly the restaurant and bar will be located on the lobby level, Talk about a missed opportunity :( I'm surprised there isn't more top floor restaurants in the city when you look at how successful Canoe is at top the TD Bank Tower

Yeah... we don't get enough of it... I mean, the experience would be awesome if we had more restaurants up in the sky! The views from Canoe are extraordinary! It really feels awesome when you're up there... I mean, NYC's got a couple of restaurants high above ground and they're pretty awesome... (One got destroyed on 9/11 :()

I don't think the CN Tower restaurant (360) is that special (but it is for Toronto)... I would rather be in a restaurant atop the Ritz than go around in circles for an hour in the restaurant... And the food is overpriced (like it is at most restaurants high above ground),.. Plus the CN tower is quite busy, its hard to get up there when its quiet.

Maybe next time :p

Going east on the 501 from Queen & Duncan Sts. and from my POV

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

March 31 2010 update

Click to Enlarge

Back