I'd like to see another hotel here. This corner is right in the middle of the action.

i wanna see a Mandarin Oriental Hotel in toronto sometime in the future.

Something like the Chicago vision of a Mandarin oriental kind of thing. though this does look similar to the Ritz.

MandarinOrientalTower-001.gif

Or maybe a large office tower like this. though it seems there are so many on hold office proposals in the city (Bay adelaide complex, richmond adelaide, 16 york, etc.)

Or a 3WTC type of tower (but shorter of course):

5270_0050_1_w.jpg

20110212126.jpg

So, JazonZed posted this lovely photo over in the Shangri-La thread.

But I have a Ritz question: Does the balcony we see here belong to the penthouse unit? Also, what (aside from mechanical) is under the sloped glass skylight? Will it ever be accessible for functions, or anything? Or merely a private paradise for the janitor?

According to the Ritz page on Facebook, some of the residence have already moved in. Anyone on UT that owns a unit at the Ritz please please get us some pics of the Sky Lobby!!

I was up there yesterday and the sky lobby is still unfinished, however further ahead than they were two weeks ago. The spa, pool, gym, and other amenities on the 5th floor are complete and look spectacular.
The angled glass from the south is noticeable from inside the unit and looks great. Never thought the difference between 9ft and 10ft ceiling heights would make a big difference but they do. The windows are much larger than I originally thought....they are huge pieces of glass. The only disapointing finish was the elevator that takes you to the sky lobby....very small and looked cheap. The lifts to the residences were bigger and looked nicer.

That balcony does indeed belong to the penthouse unit.

(Yeahhh first post! I've been creeping for so long it was about damn time I registered)

ritzpenthouse.jpg

Actually there are three balconies for this unit, or terraces - whatever you want to call them.

[I have a Ritz question: Does the balcony we see here belong to the penthouse unit? Also, what (aside from mechanical) is under the sloped glass skylight? Will it ever be accessible for functions, or anything? Or merely a private paradise for the janitor?

As the others have mentioned, yes that balcony, along with smaller ones facing east and west, are all part of the penthouse.

The sloped-glazed area above the penthouse is a mechanical room-with-a-view. Maybe they grow some dracenas in there.

Maybe it's a giant grow-op. It's a perfect location. Who would ever suspect the Ritz? Think of the financial gain of a greenhouse that size with a cash crop like pot. We're talking millions in street value.

I still think it was a missed opportunity to not place solar panels on that roof. There is new technology that increases the output five or six times and with the square footage they could mitigate their tenant's hydro bill significantly. Or at least light all the hallways and public access stairwells with free electricity.

Last edited:
As the others have mentioned, yes that balcony, along with smaller ones facing east and west, are all part of the penthouse.

The sloped-glazed area above the penthouse is a mechanical room-with-a-view. Maybe they grow some dracenas in there.

Does anyone know if the area under the sloped glass will incorparate a lighting feature of some sort? Also, are there any other lighting features planned for this building?

damn it. i have school. good reason to skip though :D!

OMFG. what's the square footage on the Ritz penthouse! wow. and what's funny is, the penthouse floor is bigger than any floor in the building (due to it's angled shape), pretty crazy if you ask me.

where are the emergency stairs though??? and if so, does that mean people can just climb up the stairs to your floor, knock on the door and GTFO?? that would suck.

Back