Excellent proposal. The design needs a few tweaks, however this is a wonder full proposal. Excellent location for an aquarium.

OT: re - Metro Convention Centre

It is such a horrendous mess, you'd almost want them to tear it all down and start over again. I can't think of any nice way whereby you can link up the North and South buildings and still produce a coherent architectural package (without multiple escalator/elevator transfers).

I wish they can actually seriously look into creating a precinct plan for the area and think about how buildings relate to local traffic routes and to each other.

AoD

this is a good proposal.

even with all of the development off york and bremner, this area, as it stands, is sterile, drab, and empty. the cn tower and the skydome are far too disconnected from the rest of the city. the new aquarium and retail would bring this area to life. toronto needs and deserves an aquarium.

now, i admit that both proposed buildings need some modifications, aesthetically. this can, and probably will change. i also agree that an aquarium by the lake would be more ideal. however, the waterfront is getting its own facelift and doesn't really need any help.

let's rejoice!

this is a good proposal.

even with all of the development off york and bremner, this area, as it stands, is sterile, drab, and empty. the cn tower and the skydome are far too disconnected from the rest of the city. the new aquarium and retail would bring this area to life. toronto needs and deserves an aquarium.

now, i admit that both proposed buildings need some modifications, aesthetically. this can, and probably will change. i also agree that an aquarium by the lake would be more ideal. however, the waterfront is getting its own facelift and doesn't really need any help.

let's rejoice!

The waterfront does need something. It needs a few major attractions, if we want it to become a great tourist area, as well as an attraction for Torontonians. (besides just walking along the boardwalk) An aquarium would be a great start towards that, so it's too bad it's not going there.

The waterfront does need something. It needs a few major attractions, if we want it to become a great tourist area, as well as an attraction for Torontonians. (besides just walking along the boardwalk) An aquarium would be a great start towards that, so it's too bad it's not going there.

The only real boardwalks that i know of in Toronto are around Sunnyside and the Beaches.:confused: unless you mean those tacky wavedecks down there.

I remember a few years back there was discussion about an aquarium being built at Ontario Place. They did not choose that location because they felt it was to far away from the Downtown core. They outlined two ideal locations for the aquarium, the base of the CN Tower, and Yonge Dundas Square, these locations have a lot of people.

For the waterfront I would love to see a Toronto Museum or a cultural venue.

The only real boardwalks that i know of in Toronto are around Sunnyside and the Beaches.:confused: unless you mean those tacky wavedecks down there.

actually all of the toronto waterfront now for exception of the eastern waterfront, has a boardwalk all the way along the water's edge, it is a floating boardwalk. It was one of the prerequisits for the improvement of the waterfront.

I remember a few years back there was discussion about an aquarium being built at Ontario Place. They did not choose that location because they felt it was to far away from the Downtown core. They outlined two ideal locations for the aquarium, the base of the CN Tower, and Yonge Dundas Square, these locations have a lot of people.

For the waterfront I would love to see a Toronto Museum or a cultural venue.

Maybe we should hold off on an Aquarium until we have a lakefront location and the foot traffic to support it. I think anywhere near Harbourfront Place would be good because there's always tons of people there in the summer.

The Base of the CN Tower is a good location for the aquarium. This is a very exciting plan.

Build a cultural venue for the waterfront, a Toronto Museum to tell the World the story of Toronto.

Harbourfront also has boardwalks along the waterfront. The whole waterfront will soon be lined with the boardwalks. (East Bayfront) The Toronto Museum will most likely go in to Old City Hall in the next few years. I would put 4 things on the downtown waterfront, an aquarium, a resort style swimming pool, a museum of modern art and a large outdoor amphitheatre with a huge floating barge for a stage.

Last edited:
A Museum of Modern art would be amazing on the waterfront.

The aquarium is good at the CN Tower location, it has the best chance of actually getting built at that location.

IMHO, an aquarium is what Toronto needs least. I predict it will be a white elephant.

I doubt it. Between school trips and tourists, it will be well used... especially if it is built next to the CN Tower.

Didn't people say that about Olympic Spirit? (besides the CN Tower part)

If it's not a first rate attraction, word will spread fast and I don't think it will be successful. Look what happened to Olympic Spirit. It got bad reviews from the beginning and word of mouth got around that it wasn't worth the high price of admission. I was planning to go see it, until friends of mine told me it was a rip off. I stayed away after I heard what it was about (a second rate attraction, at best) and obviously, so did the rest of Toronto.

Build it, and they will come, just doesn't work in this day and age. The net spreads info quicker than it ever has, so if it gets bad reviews from the man on the street, people will not pay big bucks to see crap. They will wait until they travel somewhere else to see an aquarium. Class trips alone can not keep this thing profitable.

I wonder if the Zoo might be a better location for an aquarium. Even if they just doubled their current capacity while upgrading what they already have we'd end up with a decent attraction. It would benefit from the branding and marketing that already exists, and would give people another reason to make the trek out to Scarborough.

If, ten years after a new Zoo aquarium opens up, there still seems to be this huge pool of latent demand for more fish, then a new aquarium could be built downtown as a satellite location of the Zoo (further strengthening the brand, and providing exposure to an attraction that's a bit off the beaten path).

Back