Roundhouse Park, Christie Pits and Lamport Stadium are not large enough to accommodate a stadium of that size.

Exhibition Place also may be too tight with all the heritage buildings.

A stadium with a max capacity of 40 - 42,000 and a smaller footprint would fit onto all of those locations. Roundhouse would likely be the tightest of all those locations but would require some sort of reconstruction and incorporation of the roundhouse building into the design. Perhaps Bremner is re-routed north if the Dome is vacated and demolished, thus giving Roundhouse more room. Christie Pits would consist of the entirety of the facilities, diamonds, ice rink and pool included. Lamport would require demolition of the buildings east of Jefferson Ave.

i think the existing location would be perfect. for that to happen, the team would have to play away for 1 or 2 seasons which risks the fanbase a bit.

for a reno, i think it would open right up if they were to buy the renaissance hotel, tear it down, and replace it with glass and windows (open air) and support beams for the roof. i'd also remove the 200 - 500 levels in the outfield. Obviously i'm not an engineer so I don't know how many support columns you'd need considering the whole lid rests on it when the roof is open, but that would make it way more enjoyable.

one can dream

From my understanding, the northern part of the Marriot hotel is tacked onto the Dome. The southern component of the hotel is the section that overlooks the field. You can see that from the construction photos in the article below:

The support pillars for the fixed portion of the roof basically run west to east along the outfield sections of the stadium, from top to bottom.

looking at those photos, it could also feel better if they removed the 200 - 500 levels AROUND the hotel and scoreboard and replaced it with a glass wall. I'm thinking sort of what Miller Park in Milwaukee looks like when their roof is snapped shut.

Why, though? Any type of renovation/rebuild doesn't make any financial sense. Higher attendance comes with better on-field product. Rogers Centre is far from being a dump. Remember it was selling out every game just a few years ago?
My point is, Rogers does not owe people a better stadium. The fact that some people think they deserve a new stadium just because other teams got one recently, doesn't mean Rogers must realize anything.

It was selling out games because the Blue Jays were putting good teams on the field worth making the trip to the stadium. The stadium isn't a draw in itself. Fans go in spite of it, not because of it. And once the Blue Jays stop winning, fans stay away, sometimes for years.

But what if fans had a reason to go to a game besides seeing a winning team? No, Rogers doesn't owe the fans a stadium or renovations, but the fans don't owe it to them to turn up, either.

It was selling out games because the Blue Jays were putting good teams on the field worth making the trip to the stadium. The stadium isn't a draw in itself. Fans go in spite of it, not because of it. And once the Blue Jays stop winning, fans stay away, sometimes for years.

But what if fans had a reason to go to a game besides seeing a winning team? No, Rogers doesn't owe the fans a stadium or renovations, but the fans don't owe it to them to turn up, either.
Don't kid yourself, people will not go to see a shiny new stadium if the team sucks. This isn't Cleveland, there's so much to do in our great city.

Regarding the roof, it needs to stay. I know we all like to think we'd enjoy going to games despite the weather, but baseball starts in April, and I recall the weather being fairly cold in April. I think you need to have a roof of some kind for those early months, and for when it rains.

Don't kid yourself, people will not go to see a shiny new stadium if the team sucks. This isn't Cleveland, there's so much to do in our great city.

And yet, I specifically said I'd go to a game if the stadium were better on the previous page. I only go to a game a year, mostly because of the price, mostly because the stadium itself great. I can't see myself going to a game this year. But a new stadium, or drastic renovation of the current one? Then I would.

Regarding the roof, it needs to stay. I know we all like to think we'd enjoy going to games despite the weather, but baseball starts in April, and I recall the weather being fairly cold in April. I think you need to have a roof of some kind for those early months, and for when it rains.

yea, a roof is mandatory. I think the Rogers Centre was built backwards. It was built as an indoor stadium that can be opened. It should be built as an outdoor stadium that can be closed.

And yet, I specifically said I'd go to a game if the stadium were better on the previous page. I only go to a game a year, mostly because of the price, mostly because the stadium itself great. I can't see myself going to a game this year. But a new stadium, or drastic renovation of the current one? Then I would.
I guess you and I have different definitions of the word 'entertainment'.

Cleveland doesn't support the team even when they're winning. It's a Browns town first and foremost. They haven't finished higher than 9th in attendance since 2002, despite 5 playoff appearances in that time.

A newer or better stadium doesn't guarantee more fans during the lean years, but it certainly will be better for the Jays overall than the current condition of the place.

I hate to agree but we even get snow in April for Christ's sake. May generally sucks for weather as well.

I hate to agree but we even get snow in April for Christ's sake. May generally sucks for weather as well.

I distinctly remember thinking back in April "This is why the Blue Jays need the dome", as I was wearing a coat and sweater and baseball was starting. And there's something to be said of having a stadium that ensures there will be no rainouts.

I think I've said this before, but T-Mobile Park seems like a good model to follow in the event we were to get a new stadium. It offers views of the city, while having a roof, giving you the outdoors experience and protection from the elements should you need it.

DDczl_gUQAAwgmz.jpg

A key difference, though, might be that their roof doesn't seal you in, so I don't know how good it is for when the weather turns colder.

IMO, I doubt the Jays are worth the extra investment it would take to move them, demolish the stadium, and build a new one in its place.

I think there are three levels of expectations:

1. Low- Cosmetic/internal renovations- The structure is more or less spatially similar to the way it is now, maybe with a new lounge and cladding
2. Medium-High- Structural renovation- Larger renovations to the building that involves some level of structural reconfiguration (i.e. reconstruction of the lower stands)- The Jays play elsewhere/in a temporary stadium for a few years
3. High- New stadium- might as well build a new stadium elsewhere in the city with the time it would take to build a fancy new stadium

From this picture though, I wonder if there's any opportunity to remove some of the concrete cladding + some of the less desirable upper stands + the hotel, in order to create a less-bunker-like environment while retaining the supports for the roof?

2016918-skydome-city-place.jpg

Last edited:
yea, a roof is mandatory. I think the Rogers Centre was built backwards. It was built as an indoor stadium that can be opened. It should be built as an outdoor stadium that can be closed.

Not mandatory. Detroit, Cleveland & Minneapolis don't have domes. Pretty similar climates, if not colder in the case of Minneapolis. Just means starting the first couple of weeks of the season on the road. From an investment perspective it could be worth it to build the retractable roof though.

You wan't an enclosed stadium with a retractable roof? well it will cost you a cool 1 billion US dollars..... https://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/ballparks/globe-life-field/

globe life stadium.PNG

Back