.. then how did Cincinnati manage it hmm

View attachment 416944

Also - they could always go open air for the next stadium and just build the new one around the Rogers Centre.
With what space exactly would we do that here in Toronto? There's no vacant land anywhere in sight around the Rogers Centre since the city didnt have the foresight to leave some land vacant around the stadium like many other cities do, but instead decided to sell out to Concord to build their trash around the Dome.

Team with Oxford to demolish the convention centre and the intercontinental hotel and deck over the tracks. Front Street entrances in the outfield, the skywalk extends over Lower Simcoe for a direct to Union entrance on the east side and on the west side, the stadium and its plaza are a nice terminus for the rail deck park. The skydome and surroundings are renovated to be the next convention center.

Also, it‘a kind of sad when you think that the dome is 40 years old and should be surrounded by a mature forest but all the trees are still little sticks.

Team with Oxford to demolish the convention centre and the intercontinental hotel and deck over the tracks. Front Street entrances in the outfield, the skywalk extends over Lower Simcoe for a direct to Union entrance on the east side and on the west side, the stadium and its plaza are a nice terminus for the rail deck park. The skydome and surroundings are renovated to be the next convention center.

Also, it‘a kind of sad when you think that the dome is 40 years old and should be surrounded by a mature forest but all the trees are still little sticks.

I thought the rail deck park was dead?

This is exciting and will make an impact. Great to see!! I just hope they allocate some of those funds to fixing up the exterior as well. It could use some sprucing up.

Affordable Exterior Solution (while we wait):

Since the Rogers Centre is located on the traditional territory of the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Anishnabeg, the Chippewa, the Haudenosaunee, and the Wendat peoples, how about indigenous (abstract?) murals covering some of the large concrete chunks around the stadium.

NOTE: there's likely a fundrai$ing overlay that could be included... and it would be fun to watch the transformation (maybe a national competition?). God knows Rogers still needs more good PR.
B1A9363.jpg

Link

Some of the commissions could include a couple of abstract “Blue Jays” logos… or better still, just abstract blue jays in flight, to appease the team and Rogers.

blue-jays

complex.com - Artists Casey Bannerman and Kory Parkin

Lots of potential canvas space:

maxresdefault.jpg

Link

Last edited:
If Rogers doesn’t own the Hotel at the stadium how much would it cost them to get rid of it, then u can actually make real significant changes to the toilet centre

Rogers doesn't own the hotel, Larco Hospitality is the current owner. They've owned it since 1999. Larco also owns own the W Hotel on Bloor.

A valuation is complicated because the hotel doesn't own the land it's on. IIRC, they pay an annual fee to the federal government independent of the Rogers stadium fee. So there are 2 entities to negotiate with.

That said, the hotel is 350 rooms with reasonably high occupancy and rates for downtown due to the larger than typical room size. Stadium view suites on game nights have a very high rate ($1400/night). 3x revenue, since we can't even guess at the profit margin, is going to be over $200M.

Brookfield paid $350M for the Sheraton Centre in 2017 (1200 rooms but lower nightly rates, also 5 years ago, another $100M in renovation since then); you can't do much with the land as any replacement building would be smaller than the Sheraton Centre.

Last edited:
If they are serious about the renovations turning it from a “stadium” to a “ballpark” they should change the name. Rogers Centre doesn’t cut it.

Rogers Field at SkyDome, Rogers Park, etc
Should Yankee stadium rebrand too? I thought people hated when we went from skydome to Rogers centre. Now just for the sake of it you think Rogers should rename again.

You have been the biggest advocate for a open air stadium in this thread. I’m sure you saw the announcement when it first dropped. You could have swayed this whole thread versus post after post of people liking it. Anyways maybe you’ll get your Toronto island open air stadium in 2040 which will have a skyline view of the city so that we have as good an atmosphere as Cleveland so that players choose to come play here, the third biggest city in North America but not quite world class, instead of choosing to play in Ohio.

I'm a little surprised by the "lipstick on a pig" takes, only because it already looks like there is going to be a ton of work done on the stadium. And this is only phase 1. I think some people aren't grasping the amount of work that's being done. This isn't a mere paint job, this is restructuring the stadium.

View%2003%20-%20RF%20Bullpen.1b528038.jpg

View%2005%20-%20Aerial.a4cb633f.jpg

One detail I hadn't noticed before is the fans sitting behind the right field fence. Really looking forward to seeing what else they have in store.

I'm a little surprised by the "lipstick on a pig" takes, only because it already looks like there is going to be a ton of work done on the stadium. And this is only phase 1. I think some people aren't grasping the amount of work that's being done. This isn't a mere paint job, this is restructuring the stadium.

View%2003%20-%20RF%20Bullpen.1b528038.jpg

View%2005%20-%20Aerial.a4cb633f.jpg

One detail I hadn't noticed before is the fans sitting behind the right field fence. Really looking forward to seeing what else they have in store.
300 million. Lots of lipstick

This is going to add a lot of intimacy. Fans are way closer to the game and there will never be a home run that skips into the dark concourse. The bullpens are so much more involved in the fan experience here. I know everyone wants camden yards, but this is a huge boost to the fan experience.

Back