Echoing the general sentiment so far. I applaud the increased spaces that will benefit children and families in need of such spaces in the long-term. But the opening iteration here comes off terribly sterile and unwelcoming.

Montgomery Sisam did design the current existing building, which albeit being rather basic and utilitarian, is still a reasonably amicable street form along McCaul IMO.

For some starting suggestions, they should go with red brick on the podium and the Henry Street midrise. And look towards solutions on the tower to have it as a more genial presence in the area.

The context was a bit different, but there's the 399 Yonge Street project. Which began originally as restoration and a 1 storey addition at the 401 Yonge Street building:

Or if you want to count this 3-storey building at the NW corner of Pape & Cosburn, which has since been expropriated to be part of the future Ontario Line Cosburn station:

I thought we had at least 1 or 2 more direct examples floating around somewhere in the city, but I can't quite recall what they are exactly. Or that might be it afterall.

Is this not severely wasteful to redevelop this already though? Especially for a charity? If I was a major donor to the present 240 McCaul building, I would probably be quite upset. How much did that building cost anyway?

Back