Meh. It looks like Denver clad theirs in first-generation PowerBook G4s. Everyone knows that extruded aluminum MacBooks look better on a crystal.

Hmmm, I dunno... there's something powerful about that titanium cladding. But there probably isn't a clear winner... and it's nice that they're not carbon copies of each other. It would be interesting to do a Denver vs. Toronto poll.

Certainly not exact copies... which is good. Personally I much prefer ROM, largely because of the context.

the denver design wouldn't fit the rest of our museum...libeskind did a decent job, not MUCH to complain about certainly.

We are getting a museum expansion, scarberiankhatru, in the high fashion Libeskind style. There will be plenty of new space for the collections to go on display, as well as new non-exhibition space for the public to enjoy.

I would say that the issue, in my opinion, is that given x amount of dollars for expansion, how much money per square metre should be spent? At one extreme, we have the Libeskind approach -- very high visibility architecture, but relatively little actual extra floor space, relative to total cost. On the other would be the 'Four Seasons Centre' approach, with a lot of extra floorspace, but unimpressive from the street.

(I am aware that fundraising is easier with a Libeskind-level proposal -- a warehouse might have cost less, but also less money would probably have been raised)

On the other hand, there is such a thing as having too-impressive architecture. I was in a few Spanish museums that were converted Medieval or Renaissance palaces, which completely overshadowed the collections housed within. More of the visitors were looking at the architecture than were looking at the paintings.

The Libeskind extension increased exhibit space by what, 30 percent? It was, however, about the most expensive possible project, on a per-square-metre basis. I personally think that even if the ROM was only able to raise three-quarters of the amount of money they did, for a less spectacular but more economical design, they could have increased floor space by much more, maybe 50 or 60 percent. Since I am mainly interested in the exhibits themselves, that would have been a good trade to me.

Others may have different priorities, of course.

Bill

we need our daily fix....these photos posted by phunky over at SSC, but originally by 'evidence' at flickr....

502572161_6ee43b44ce_o.jpg

502572071_4081710c1f_o.jpg

502534322_ac78e84963_o.jpg

502534258_c00c112363_o.jpg

502534126_e74553d5f9_o.jpg

502571191_573755faa2_o.jpg

502533610_538881c6a6_o.jpg

This is by far the most incredible interior space in Toronto... no competition.

WoW!:eek:

That lobby/atrium is going to be a place of awe.

Back