Well, it'll be nice to see the dynamic duo on stage...
mr_peabody_and_sherman.JPG

Mr. Peabody & Sherman
2003_7_libpay.jpg

Ms. Peabody & Sherman

They should have let Libeskind do the signage. It would have made for great consistency (Wright would have insisted on it, if it was his building).

Ranking

WikiPedia reports that the ROM is the fifth largest museum in N.A.

How will the addition affect this ranking?

Well, if there's any reason to despise the addition, it's nothing to do with the architecture or anything; it's that David Foster's gotten himself musically wrapped up in the opening festivities. *Now*, it's Satanic.

Dropped by the ROM this morning to pick up a few extra copies of the new magazine. Noticed that a few small sections of the cladding on the east side of the Crystal had been removed. Thorsell happened to walk past, so I congratulated him on how the building looks ( bit my tongue about the tonal differences in the cladding! ) and asked about the missing sections. They're doing some electrical stuff, he said. The building is about to be "born" he said and hurried off.

I prefer that version - looks like an orbiting space station under construction. The unfinished nature of it holds more mystery than the finished version we got, tonally-mismatched cladding and all. There's something to be said for resisting the quest-for-perfection trap.

Getting there is sometimes more than half the fun.

The travails that took place during the construction of FCP - removing much of the marble on the upper floors because it was too dark, and replacing it - is matched by the patchwork delight of today's much slower recladding process.

Are you talking about our Crystal's tonal variations, or the marble on the upper floors of FCP that looked at how grungy it had become, and decided to start removing itself?

FCP.

Marble on, and marble off, and marble on again in 1975 ( or whenever it was ), compared to the present fiasco.

It was so much easier to reclad the top third of the building in those days when there were no occupants. This spotty reno is taking years and years to complete.

Back