Who knows, maybe this is a behind-the-scenes issue at the moment.

I wonder if the place comes with Tarion coverage? ;)

I can't wait till the grand opening. Drove by a couple times today and there are sooo many lights. It's going to look great all lit up. I hope they install some exterior lighting after everything is done. Something really soft so that the windows still take prominence but lets the metal shine.

I love the place. Looks much better in person too. They were cleaning the windows yesterday and hand washing the exterior. When the sun hits the building in the right direction it's quite impressive.

JG

Meteorites are kinda rare on earth, and apparently the ROM folks did not like the price of going out into space to save on material costs. That would have made the building out-of-this-world class, dammit!

Excuses as usual. That's all we ever get in Toronto, where we manage to cheap out on every project.

More seriously... I really do like the mismatched cladding. It adds a very different texture to the building than the one-colour scheme ever could. To steal SeanTrans's pictures:

ROM1.jpg

ROM3.jpg

Looks very nice.

They've certainly done a better job of mismatching it in some areas than others. In those two shots it does look good. Other areas... not so much.

I see in that first photo that a lot of those little bits of cladding - where Thorsell told me there is "electrical" stuff inside - have been flipped open.

are these a preview of the lightshow this weekend? posted by phunky at SSC, from flickr....

521236659_2cf37a76b9_b.jpg

519275992_a1169b7e5f_b.jpg

519228226_34dd1d7b86_b.jpg

Hmm- from this perspective the tonal variations do actually look quite good. Was this deliberate?

ROM3.jpg

Much as I love the ROM, much as I admire the spectacular starchitecture that Libeskind has created for them using his unique design language, much as I'm convinced it'll do the trick and boost attendance and interest in the ROM's wonderful collections ... whenever I pass by and look at the cladding I can't help but be reminded of the little corrugated iron garage that sat at the end of our garden when I was a small child.

That night pic above is spectacular. Clearly this new building will be to Toronto what the Sydney Opera House is there.

Hmm. Cute, but problematic? I hope not! At least we didn't fire our architect.

Libeskind's design language is distinctive. He's cornered the market on spiky, just as Gehry has cornered the market on curvy. So, if there's a vacancy for just one more world-class-iconic-building-that-captures-everyone's-imagination-and-gets-reproduced-everywhere ... and he applies for it ... he may just land the job. Especially if spiky turns out to be just what is needed.

But if what is needed turns out to be blobby, not spiky, we're shit out of luck.

Much as I love the ROM, much as I admire the spectacular starchitecture that Libeskind has created for them using his unique design language, much as I'm convinced it'll do the trick and boost attendance and interest in the ROM's wonderful collections ... whenever I pass by and look at the cladding I can't help but be reminded of the little corrugated iron garage that sat at the end of our garden when I was a small child.

You are unfortunately right on all points. The cladding is the only weakness (and I do not mind the fact that there are different colour tones to the metal...I just do not like the way it resembles cheap siding).

I do not think this will be our Sydney Opera House either. I think the CN does that trick (as an iconic structure). I think this work is too similar to Denver and other projects to be totally unique to our city. His condo project though, may become a surprise iconic structure.

But I am loving the excitement and debate that the structure is generating. For all the dismissive musings about 'starchitecture' and wild buildings such as this (by Diamond and many many others), it is clear that architecture such as this is welcomed by many and adds much to the cultural and aesthetic landscape that makes up a great city.

Looks very snazzy in those night pics. I like the windows and black striations, it kind of reminds me of De Stijl gone all ascew. They just need to replace a few of those panels with some primary colours :)

Back