It's an ocean liner – no, it's a message
The Crystal opening launches a massive street party and mixed reviews
VAL ROSS

From Monday's Globe and Mail

June 4, 2007 at 4:05 AM EDT

The prow of an icebreaker. The iceberg it smashed. An alien warship. Whatever the $135-million Michael Lee-Chin Crystal addition to the Royal Ontario Museum reminds you of, it officially landed on Toronto's Bloor Street Saturday night, jutting into a street party for thousands of people, a light show, a noisy concert of rap artists, Celtic fiddlers, an aboriginal women's rock ensemble and fireworks.

Now Toronto must accept that the Crystal is not just a shape, it's a message. Named for a Chinese Jamaican immigrant (lead donor Michael Lee-Chin), bankrolled in part by immigrant entrepreneurs from Asia and Europe, and officially welcomed by a francophone Haitian (Governor-General Michaelle Jean), it is an elbow into Toronto's self-image, insisting on acknowledgment of change.

Torontonians are ready. The crowds on Bloor Street, people in halter tops and hijabs, on canes and pushing strollers, applauded approvingly when Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty pronounced the Crystal "refreshingly bold" and Heritage Minister Bev Oda described it as "a true celebration of possibilities ... a sign that this is a great international city."

But they saved their roars for the anti-politicians, such as scientist David Suzuki, who quoted Al Gore and declared that the great museum could educate the young to save the planet.

And they stamped and cheered for Lee-Chin himself, who said, "Thank you very much, my mother, my father, my fellow Torontonians ... You don't choose the colour of your skin. You choose your future. Isn't it wonderful we live in a country where choices abound?"

The Lee-Chin story is so perfect a story line, it could have been scripted: How a boy who once caddied for billionaire Galen Weston on a Jamaican golf course came to Canada in 1970 to study civil engineering, worked in the mutual fund industry, acquired the Ontario-based investment firm AIC Ltd; how its assets grew to $9-billion; how in 2003 Hilary Weston, wife of Galen and chair of the ROM's fundraising arm, convinced Lee-Chin to help fund the ROM by reminding him of what an example his story would be to other immigrants.

Especially for Jamaicans: That country's Prime Minister, Portia Simpson-Miller, sent her congratulations to be read at the Saturday night opening.

What is there left to say about the Crystal itself? As a feat of sheer engineering innovation, it's something for Canada to be proud of. So is the effort we the people put into funding the thing ($262-million raised so far, but the full price of ROM reconstruction is now $270-million including financing, and could rise as high as $300-million before everything is complete). The building is now radically reoriented from its original address, the calm and institutional Queen's Park, and is anchored on commercial Bloor Street. A lot of the new ROM interior is devoted to retail and dining, a declaration that this museum is no longer only about scholarship but packaging, profit-making and pleasuring consumers.

On Saturday night, when the blue June twilight faded into indigo, lights of purple, green and pink began to play across the vast planes of its mighty face, and Toronto learned that the Crystal was also a thing of beauty. Yet public opinion is still divided on our new architectural icon.

"It might be appropriate on a free-standing site, such as the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain, but it has no business pissing on the venerable old ROM building," declared Don Kerr, an architect from the Turks and Caicos Islands. "Manners! Wherefore art thou?"

Susan Mall of San Francisco disagreed. "I think it's absolutely fantastic. It's truly going to be a mecca for people coming to Toronto."

Mall was sitting on bleachers erected on the blocked-to-traffic Bloor Street with a group from the Contemporary Jewish Museum of San Francisco, who had come to see this latest work by architect Daniel Libeskind. Her museum is using Libeskind on its own current $47-million building project. The museum's director, Connie Wolf, said, "San Francisco is a very conservative town. But for Daniel there's no such thing as neutral space."

Hiroshi Sugimoto, the first artist-curator to use one of the Crystal's angular spaces, complained about that very issue to Libeskind himself in a playful but challenging panel discussion on Thursday night. The occasion was the opening of Sugimoto's show, History of History, in the Crystal's fourth-floor gallery, the Institute for Contemporary Culture.

Said Sugimoto: "This is Daniel Libeskind's Crystal. I was having a hard time understanding this plan. I was scared."

In that he had much in common with the ROM's contractors and engineers, who over the four years of construction fell 18 months behind the original schedule in order to make all the necessary structural adaptations; indeed, on Thursday night at the opening of History of History, smells of glue and drywall dust hung in the air, and the noise of drilling continued amid the chatter of gallery-goers.

"I first heard of Daniel Libeskind at the Venice Biennale in 1985, when you were known as an 'unbuilt architect,' " Sugimoto added playfully. "I wish you had kept to that." Libeskind grinned: "Many artists wish that! Many people would prefer to live in a banal environment, and just look at images of beautiful architecture."

There's no doubt that Libeskind's sloping walls and diagonal lines present difficult interiors for exhibition designers to deal with. But the dazzling Sugimoto show, incorporating fossils, photographs and ancient Japanese artifacts, proves that Libeskind's spaces can work beautifully for three-dimensional objects; far better, in fact, than for the display of flat art, as designers at Libeskind's new Denver Art Gallery are discovering.

"I've seen Denver and Daniel's other buildings," said architect Bruce Kuwabara after a visit to the ROM's fourth floor gallery. "I think this, the Crystal, is his best."

I visited late Saturday night/early Sunday morning at about 3:30 a.m. It was very interesting to have crowds of people, most of whom were still intoxicated having just left bars/clubs wandering through in amazement. The sheer amount of photos taken and all the various comments I heard were mostly very very positive. For those that haven't been following the progress of the building and even among those that have this is an incredibly unique space.

My comments would be rather then being called the 'cystal' it should be the nooks & crannies building - I was amazed by all the little spaces that one could climb or crawl into that would reveal stunning views of the city or into other rooms - this truely is a building to be explored. Every turn reveals and opening or small hole with an incredible view.

My only negative thoughts were that there is still a lot of work to be done. In many places the structure was incomplete and dirty - once fully opening it is going to be very difficult to keep clean given all the nooks & crannies and large open spaces with angled walls.

I'm also very interested to see how the new structure is lit up on a regular night vs the grand opening.

I saw these photos on Flickr - sort of demonstrates the 'Nooks and Crannies' thoughts I was having on the Crystal - there is a lot of fun to be had with the expansion - kids are going to love it.

529696148_92f4f7b50f.jpg

529899866_ac0dccb7f0.jpg

Excellent point. Let's think for a moment...the ROM as all other museums have to attract kids. It's close to impossible educating adults these days, so we at least can hope for smarter future generations. So if kids love the new ROM, then it's really doesn't matter what we think about it. The building is primarily for them (well..and tourists, but they'll love it anyway) and my wild guess is that it's impossible for a kid not to love the place.
A verdict has been reached: The place is magnificent!

It's really interesting to see how people were exploring and using the space (both in the photo's posted and in my visit).

So if kids love the new ROM, then it's really doesn't matter what we think about it.

I think both kids and adults can appreciate the playful aspects of the addition - I didn't see any kids when I was there at 3am, but there were a lot of adults 'playing' while they explored.

I can see all those little alcoves being a nightmare for teachers with school groups trying to keep tabs on the children (in a fit of juvenile immaturity, I managed to conceal myself from my girlfriend for a solid 3 minutes when we were there for the opening party).

Yeah, it was altogether too much fun. I fully expect that all of those nooks will be plexiglassed off come the real opening. You could lose a five-year-old in one of those thing.

You're likely right SNF - the place is a litigator's wet dream. I had a minor run-in with a nook (or maybe a cranny), and the nook won. (Slightly dented head now more dented.)

I'm sure we'll be kept from having that kind of fun once the galleries are installed.

You're likely right SNF - the place is a litigator's wet dream. I had a minor run-in with a nook (or maybe a cranny), and the nook won. (Slightly dented head now more dented.)

I'm sure we'll be kept from having that kind of fun once the galleries are installed.

holy shit, will that really work? it would no doubt be the person's fault as the building is standing still and somebody walks into it hahaha...could be possible if something fell on someone, but this situation?? lol fucking bereaucracy!!!!

Well, I am glad for one that there is both opposition and awe over the ROM Crystal. No iconic building - anywhere - has had people on only one side. This is a good sign that the ROM will go down as another Toronto Icon.

CN Tower
SkyDome
City Hall
ROM Crystal

Back