Well it's certainly nice to have the link to the front page story also in the thread for historical reference so weeks and months from now one can view it when it's no longer a front page story. I appreciate them!

And Modern/Sp!re: the SLC security will get right on that. That's horribly annoying that random people are soliciting students. Most of the people that I know go there don't need any financial breaks in the form of coupons!

But you wouldn't need the link if the story was posted here... Its no different than having to go back through a thread trying to find a link.

I don't like making suggestions like that to the people who actually run the site. Seems like a very petty request.

Is it possible to just post stories into the thread instead of linking to another page? It's annoying coming into threads for updates only to find a link to somewhere else, especially from a phone. It's not like it's a different website that needs traffic diverted to it. I understand when its an article from The Globe, or The Star... but this is still UT we're talking about.

But you wouldn't need the link if the story was posted here... Its no different than having to go back through a thread trying to find a link.

Why not both? Post the article (and pictures) in the thread with a link to the article page.

I don't like making suggestions like that to the people who actually run the site. Seems like a very petty request.

We don't mind the requests.

It's mostly not done because of time constraints. There is always something else to do frankly; you wouldn't believe how many hours some of us put in, and there are always things backed up waiting to go up… so it's often a case of posting the notices and having to jump on something else right away.

I can add the video code in here though…

[video=youtube;mGa-mCmeI2o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGa-mCmeI2o[/video]

We don't mind the requests.

It's mostly not done because of time constraints. There is always something else to do frankly; you wouldn't believe how many hours some of us put in, and there are always things backed up waiting to go up… so it's often a case of posting the notices and having to jump on something else right away.

I can add the video code in here though…

Fair enough. Thought it would just be a matter of copying and pasting but I guess it's a bit more complicated than that.

Has anyone spent some time in the old Library Building since this thing opened? Im curious as to whether those spaces are still pretty well used, or if students are gravitating towards the SLC instead?

. . . . . . . . . . .
VF0Tfdx.jpg

Last edited:
Fair enough. Thought it would just be a matter of copying and pasting but I guess it's a bit more complicated than that.

Has anyone spent some time in the old Library Building since this thing opened? Im curious as to whether those spaces are still pretty well used, or if students are gravitating towards the SLC instead?

No, not yet!

The SlC is usually packed between 11-5, hard to find a empty seat anywhere. I either get there when it opens, grab a table and never leave, or go later in the night. There will be a shift back to equilibrium(I hope). I just wondered where all the students went before.

Anyone with any sense knew that it was going to be under-built. The SLC should have been at least 10 storeys with a 20 storey student residence above and with ample retail on the main floors.

Anyone with any sense knew that it was going to be under-built. The SLC should have been at least 10 storeys with a 20 storey student residence above and with ample retail on the main floors.

Nope, it's pretty sufficient for what it is, plus what you can build is dependent on how much funding you have and the amount of planning flack you'd get for proposing something significantly out of scale. Besides if you are going to stuff a public, presentable lobby plus one for a student residence you aren't going to have that much space left for retail, period. It isn't a huge site.

AoD

Last edited:

The building is packed with students, It's strange Rye High wouldn't maximize retail considering the location.

One could predict it would be packed, right? Plus the students love the upper floors anyway. You think that with a prime location on Yonge, coupled with students spending long hours here, that there would be a greater desire to have decent retail spaces. Wouldn't that reduce the need for funding by having extra income? Correct me if I'm wrong, AoD.

The food court at 10 Dundas is filled with students and often used as a meeting place for studying, and that's several floors up! I really must be missing something here. Please explain how this is sufficient when it could have been extra-special and extra useful with extra income with just a few extra floors (taking out my proposed residence above)...

I think Ryerson missed something here in their calculations.

So, let me get this straight: because they didn't cram the building full of retail on its lower levels, that is taken to mean that the site is underbuilt?

Ohh boy. Thank God Ryerson/Snohetta made this building happen (with a strong architectural concept at its core) and not a committee of UT-urban-planners.

Back