Why are the tower geeks not screaming about a lack of height here??? Isn't Yonge Dundas Square supposed to be Toronto's Times Square? Shouldn't any version of a Times Square have towers around it, where possible?

What I like about the "tooth" massing is how it works with the building immediately to the east (a building whose name I forget just now); the new structure lends the existing structure dignity, but more than that, some context. I think this is a winner in more ways than one.

I love height, especially around Y-D Square, but I'd take a genuine landmark building by a world-renowned architect over some bland highrise anyday. A landmark is exactly what this has the potential to be; the kind of building you see in books, postcards and tourist pamplets. If Ryerson were just slapping up some 8-storey low-buget schlock, I'd be all in favour of throwing 30 floors of office space on top of it.

Now a skyscraper that is also a legitimate architectural landmark... one can only dream.

Student Learning Centre Design Open House and Celebration
The Student Learning Centre will be an outstanding resource for Ryerson students, faculty and staff, and an iconic landmark that will be the face of the university on Yonge Street.

President Sheldon Levy will unveil the exciting design followed by a presentation by internationally acclaimed co-architects Craig Dykers of Snøhetta and Tarek El-Khatib of Zeidler Partnership Architects.

The Open House takes place April 6 from 2 p.m. to 2:50 p.m. in ENG-103. Following the Open House, join in the celebration with fellow students, faculty and staff from 3 to 4 p.m. in The Atrium, George Vari Engineering and Computing Centre, 3rd Floor.

Please contact Angela Wong at ext. 4680 if you have any accessibility requirements.

WHAT: Student Learning Centre Design Open House and Celebration
WHEN: Start date/time: Wednesday , April 6 at 2:00 PM
End date/time: Wednesday , April 6 at 4:00 PM
WHERE: ENG-103, George Vari Engineering and Computing Centre, 245 Church Street,

http://www.ryerson.ca/news/events/General_Public/20110406_slc.html

1zeiatw.jpg

An artist's rendering of Ryerson University Student Learning Centre, to be built at the intersection of Yonge and Gould Sts.
The $112 million structure was designed by Snohetta Architects of Oslo and New York, and the Zeidler Partnership, Toronto.

2zgal91.gif

Hume: Ryerson's glass vision a dazzler for Yonge and Gould

You don’t have to go to school to see that education isn’t what it used to be.

Pretty soon, that will be clear to anyone wandering past the corner of Yonge and Gould where Ryerson University
is constructing its new Student Learning Centre, the most exciting building to appear in this neighbourhood in decades...

...Construction of the $112 million building will begin in January, and be finished in 2015. The province has committed $45 million; the rest must still be raised.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/969462--hume-ryerson-s-glass-vision-a-dazzler-for-yonge-and-gould?bn=1

Last edited:
That looks awesome.

Hume makes a really nice connection in his article that this building (opens up, is glass) will provide a nice contrast with the library next door (closed off, is concrete).

Wow. That's a lovely, airy building, and really marks this edge of Ryerson. If the school were smart, they'd buy up the lot across the street to the south to let them put a similarly distinctive building there and create a fabulous gateway to the school on Gould.

My only real reservation about the design is that the open area is undoubtedly going to attract less that savoury activities, somewhat isolated from the street.

WOW. It's gorgeous. And I love the pattern used on the glass. :D

I just hope that it's set back enough... the sidewalk there is quite a squeeze for something with this height and such blocky massing.

My reaction to this is that it's too good to be true. (Sorry, maybe this morning I have a touch of apprehensive pessimism).

I love this thing, especially because it is something that will look good in summer and winter.

It is bound to challenge some of the local thinkers. I await comments such as "out of context", "grandstanding", etc.

I think it brings something to Yonge that is sorely needed, something to set the soul free. And--it flirts!!!! What a contrast to the straitlaced Diamond/Schmitt project further along Gould (which is really nice, but so so so square).

Bring it on!!!

Edit: I wonder how Hume got the scoop. Also, isn't this project supposed to contain the old record store marquis? I can't find it anywhere.

Last edited:
It is bound to challenge some of the local thinkers. I await comments such as "out of context", "grandstanding", etc.

I think it brings something to Yonge that is sorely needed, something to set the soul free. And--it flirts!!!! What a contrast to the straitlaced Diamond/Schmitt project further along Gould (which is really nice, but so so so square).

I don't have an issue with 'grandstanding' but I do have a concern about context. As beautiful as it appears to be will it be yet another block buster at Yonge and Dundas?

I like it - wasn't sure what to expect going in but this definitely beats my expectation. Parts of the interior look VERY industrial (exposed concrete ceiling) - almost OCAD Sharp Centre like, and we'll have to see whether Snohetta can pull that one off well. The other concern I have is the afterthought given to the Yonge Street facade at ground level - it look like a potential dead retail space if handled incorrectly.

As beautiful as it appears to be will it be yet another block buster at Yonge and Dundas?

The block is already busted - there isn't much context left other than isolated architectural gems admist a sea of crap.

Should have more to report on later from the presentation/event. Stay tuned!

AoD

A pretty nice design. My only concern is whether or not it'll seem too hemmed in by the surrounding buildings, especially if the Empress Hotel site gets developed.

Back