Nice. This looks like it addresses some of the legitimate concerns some people have had about the retail context along Yonge.

I think the design hasn't changed - just that this particular view has never been presented in any of the renderings.

Personally, I wonder if it wasn't presented because it hadn't been finalized. But in either case, it's certainly welcome -- and it would appear to quell some of the criticism levelled at this development.

Love it, build it already! Those two empty corners at Yonge & Gould make me sad whenever I walk by them.

Does anyone know a timeframe associated with this project ? As others have mentioned I can't wait for this one to get going. It seems the rush to hastily demolish and effectively boot out a bunch of tenants was for nothing, particular if this won't start for years.

Does anyone know a timeframe associated with this project ? As others have mentioned I can't wait for this one to get going. It seems the rush to hastily demolish and effectively boot out a bunch of tenants was for nothing, particular if this won't start for years.

It could be an issue of fundraising. They are probably looking for a $25m+ gift to name the learning centre and are in the process of finalizing details.

From the status section of the link posted above:

September 2011 Work on the construction documents has reached the 90% completion milestone. The application for the excavation and shoring permit is scheduled to be submitted in October. Our application for rezoning will be presented to city council on November 30th. The building permit application is tentatively set for November 2011

AoD

Love it, build it already! Those two empty corners at Yonge & Gould make me sad whenever I walk by them.

Ditto. Though I would rather Sam's and the old hotel to still be there, I'd rather this than empty lots!

(I still think the old hotel should be rebuilt brick for brick, paid for by the former owners/probable arsonists (kidding, if I'm not allowed to say that :p)..

Last edited:
from today's Daily Commercial News, posted with the usual caveat......looks like this one may be underway by January...

STUDENT CENTRE Const manager Proj: 9077536-16
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON TENDERS DUE

Ryerson University, Student Learning Centre, 341, 347 and 349 Yonge St, Gould St, M5B 2K3 Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:00
OP-RFP-18-2011 $70,000,000 est extn
Start: January, 2012 Complete: January, 2013
Note: PROPOSALS will be received by Owner.

The purpose of this Request for Proposal (RFP) is to solicit proposals from qualified constructors to provide pre-construction, tendering, construction services and post construction for the new Student Learning Centre to be constructed on the north east corner of Yonge and Gould Streets, Toronto. It is Ryerson's intent that the successful contractor will enter into a CCDC 3, 1998, with amendments, utilizing the Guaranteed Maximum Price option. Once all the tender packages have been finalized the contract will be converted into a guaranteed maximum price. Contractors must have the required qualifications to competently co-ordinate and successfully complete this project as the designated constructor. Joint ventures will not be considered for this RFP. Contractors who intend to submit their proposals for this project are invited to complete and submit the required forms and other requirements included in this RFP. A briefing session will be held on Monday October 3rd, 2011 at 10:00. All particulars are within the call document. More info can be obtained by calling 1-800-964-6379 .
The Architects are working in Joint-venture on this project.

PROPOSALS due time and date has been extended from Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:00.
Plans and specs on display at: Hamilton Const Assn, HHCA-11-1039

Project: concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, fuel fired heating system, steam/hot water heating system, 05520; tempered glass, proposed construction of a student learning centre in the former Sam the Record Man building. The project will include construction of 10 storey, 160,000 sq ft learning centre that will be connected at grade to the existing library building. The project will include 2,000 study spaces, a grand staircase and lobby and different forms of study spaces on each floor; some open and some cloistered. The project will also include two floors of retail space. The building will be connected to the Dundas Subway Station. The project will be registered under the Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) Green building rating system with a Silver rating.

Scope: 160,000 square feet; 10 storeys; 1 storey below grade; 2000 units
Development: New
Category: Educational bldgs; Commercial offices

http://thetorontoblog.com/2011/11/0...tys-student-learning-centre-development-plan/

Public meeting tomorrow for Ryerson University’s Student Learning Centre development plan

01 Nov 2011

Ryerson ready to roll: Construction of the new Ryerson University Student Learning Centre could begin within weeks if the development plan gets approval, as is widely expected, during two key meetings at Toronto City Hall this month.

City planners have recommended approval for the municipal zoning bylaw amendments that would be required to permit the project to proceed. In an October 12 2011 staff report, they wrote that the new Student Learning Centre will provide “a unique architectural contribution to Yonge Street, and a gateway to Ryerson University, increasing its presence and visibility on Yonge Street. It will revitalize a section of Yonge Street currently the site of a vacant lot, provide necessary student space to a growing student population, add minimal new shadow to Yonge Street and provide retail space in accordance with Official Plan Policies.”

The university has already applied for shoring and excavation permits, and expects them to be approved in December. Construction could then quickly commence on the 9-storey, 155,464 square foot building, which will rise on the northeast corner of Yonge and Gould Streets (the official municipal address is 341-355 Yonge Street). The university hopes will be completed and ready for occupancy during the winter of 2014. Designed by Toronto’s Zeidler Partnership Architects and Snøhetta of Oslo and New York City, the facility will cost an estimated $112 million. The Ontario government is providing $45 million, while the university is kicking in another $45 million itself. Fundraising will seek to top up the $22 million balance.

Back