Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 1S1

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 325098 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 13, 2011

Project: Other Other(BA)

Description: Proposal to construct an above grade and below grade connection over City-owned O'Keefe laneway from the the Ryserson Student Centre (See active BLD 11 309981) and existing Ryerson Library (See active BLD 11 314367)

Canadian Architect magazine gave the Student Learning Centre design a national Award of Excellence for its state-of-the-art space and iconic, bold presence on Yonge Street.

http://www.canadianarchitect.com/Awards/RyersonUniversity.aspx
http://ryerson.ca/news/news/General_Public/20120109_slc.html

"The SLC design was one of only eight to earn the award – there were 211 submissions from across the country."

Here are some pictures of the blueprints

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-07--CONTEXT-PLAN.png

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-08--SITE-PLAN.png

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-09--BASEMENT-LEVEL-PLAN.png

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-10--GROUND-LEVEL-PLAN.png

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-11--LEVEL-01-PLAN---VALLEY.png

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-12--LEVEL-02-PLAN---BRIDGE.png

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-13--LEVEL-03-PLAN---BLUFF.png

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-14--LEVEL-04-PLAN---GARDEN.png

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-15--LEVEL-05-PLAN---SUN.png

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-16--LEVEL-06-PLAN---BEACH.png

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-18--LEVEL-08-PLAN---SKY.png

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-21--NORTH-SOUTH-SECTION.png

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-22--WEST-EAST-SECTION.png

The back of the building that was always hidden by the renders
RyersonUniversity.aspx

More Pics
****The back of building that was always hidden by the renders
Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-23---NORTH-ELEVATON.png

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-25---SOUTH-ELEVATION.png

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-26--EAST-ELEVATION.png

lifes a beach in this room
Ryerson_Beach_colored.png

Sky Lounge
Ryerson_Skylounge.png

I 'love' how Snøhetta's generous ground-level cantilever and the ensconcing urban gesture it creates are nearly negated by the fact that we have to put handrails every three feet or so for fear of lawsuits from clumsy pedestrians. Go OBC.

Ryerson-Student-Learning-Centre-25---SOUTH-ELEVATION.png

That "beach" room seems moronic to me. Why would I possibly want to sit on the floor or some oddly shaped concrete? There's a reason the chair is so popular.

I understand your point, but I'm a student at Ryerson and I've noticed students resorting to sitting on floors of buildings with minimal seating and/or spaces that are crowded (especially during examination periods). At the same time there are groups, that for some reason, enjoy sitting on the floors of hallways to stretch their legs especially on elevated sections like a staircase similar to the beach's steps. These people will certainly enjoy the concept of the "beach". Also, during peak exam times when chairs and study space become limited, this room will provide a easy alternative to those who are comfortable sitting on the floor. Not to mention it's nice to have a architecturally unique space to relax and study in. It's a pretty cool concept if you ask me :)

Also pretty sure it's wood not concrete from the pictures.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 1S1

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 114727 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jan 31, 2012

Project: Other Shoring

Description: Stand alone shoring permit for tunnel connection from new student centre building at 341 Yonge St, UNDER O'KEEF LANE, and connecting to Current Ryerson Building at 350 / 380 Victoria.

I 'love' how Snøhetta's generous ground-level cantilever and the ensconcing urban gesture it creates are nearly negated by the fact that we have to put handrails every three feet or so for fear of lawsuits from clumsy pedestrians.

Actually, from what I understand, handrails are spaced like this in part to help with accessibility.

Back