I'm more comfortable with comparisons to Montreal or New York one-way streets than I am with Hamilton!! Toronto, and Montreal have similarly highly walked sidewalks, lined with retail. Just make sure cars aren't speeding by at 100 km/h and Yonge and Bay as a one way pair could work just fine.

I was thinking about the Yonge/Bay dynamic if we were to make them one-way. It would be logical to have Yonge going north and Bay going south, but that would take away the awesome Old City Hall vista you get going north on Bay street.

You'd still get it as a pedestrian, but it's a shame you don't see the Adelaide vista to the west and it would be the same with Bay at Queen.

I was thinking about the Yonge/Bay dynamic if we were to make them one-way. It would be logical to have Yonge going north and Bay going south, but that would take away the awesome Old City Hall vista you get going north on Bay street.

I agree, it would be a shame to lose that vista driving, but if Bay was ever to become one-way, it would only make sense to do so as Southbound. Instead of Yonge going Northbound, I think Church Street is a better choice with Yonge going pedestrian.

You'd still get it as a pedestrian, but it's a shame you don't see the Adelaide vista to the west and it would be the same with Bay at Queen.

Now we have to consider the view for the drivers. WoW. Cars ARE the king here.
Hardly any drivers care about the view. Actually they shouldn't as it might be dangerous.

Hamilton probably doesn't fare well with their two way streets either?
Comparing Hamilton to Toronto doesn't give us any reasonable insights about city planning.

The article clearly shows the benefits of conversion to two way streets. Hamilton is not the only city that would agree.

+1

12245401886_a9a2052164_z.jpg

Is this part of the Yonge Street Planning Framework? Does anyone know what's going on with that? I haven't seen anything in a while.

The article clearly shows the benefits of conversion to two way streets. Hamilton is not the only city that would agree.

It's not the only city that would agree, but the article is too simplistic. The article touts the benefits, but it doesn't prove its argument, it merely takes every speaker at their word.

The article talks about one ways a method to move more traffic through the city, whereas we are looking at one ways to move more pedestrians along these streets. The amount of pavement dedicated to cars would decrease. The timing of lights can ensure that one-way roads move no more quickly than the traffic did before on two-way configuration.

Last edited:
Is this part of the Yonge Street Planning Framework? Does anyone know what's going on with that? I haven't seen anything in a while.

It's not part of the planning framework. I found this here.

It's not the only city that would agree, but the article is too simplistic. The article touts the benefits, but it doesn't prove its argument, it merely takes every speaker at their word.

The article talks about one ways a method to move more traffic through the city, whereas we are looking at one ways to move more pedestrians along these streets. The amount of pavement dedicated to cars would decrease. The timing of lights can ensure that one-way roads move no more quickly than the traffic did before on two-way configuration.

I suppose one way could work as long as cars don't go too fast, although I rarely see successful examples of it (outside of NY). I remember DMW proposed converting Yonge and Bay streets to one way, and he got some criticism for it.

Ste-Catherine in Montreal works very well from what I have seen. Certainly better than its opposite number, de Maisonneuve. To my eye the difference is the popular, fine grained retail on Ste-Catherine, whereas de Maisonneuve feels more like Bay, fronting larger buildings, little on street retail. Yonge could work similarly well, Bay might take more intervention to calm it.

Friday:
IMG_3525.jpg

IMG_3526.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3525.jpg
    IMG_3525.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 789
  • IMG_3526.jpg
    IMG_3526.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 763
  • IMG_3527.jpg
    IMG_3527.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG_3529.jpg
    IMG_3529.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 786
  • IMG_3530.jpg
    IMG_3530.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_3531.jpg
    IMG_3531.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_3532.jpg
    IMG_3532.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 772
  • IMG_3542.jpg
    IMG_3542.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_3543.jpg
    IMG_3543.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 763
Its interesting, I found the initial renderings made this whole building seem larger then it turned out to be, I really don't find it that imposing on this stretch.

I think the reason being there are no visible floors in the tradtional sense (which you see on just about all types of developments) which makes it hard to judge scale, particularly in renderings at odd angles.

Back