Concerts at MLG:

March 25, 1985: U2
April 12, 1989: REM
Feb 11, 1990: Tears for Fears w Oleta Adams (Deborah Harry as opener)

And I saw the Harlem Globetrotters there once.

And the Leafs a couple times. I think they played there.

nostalgic 42

I think this is a fantastic idea. When do we start the mandatory international design competition?

More recently, Loblaws has taken quite the financial hit. One of the complaints is that, for the merchandise that is available, the stores are too big and the products are too expensive.

Apparently they are now assessing whether it is necessary to shrink the stores somewhat (the Superstore format), offering space to other retailers. One can only wonder if such thinking is being applied to the MLG site.

In Today's Star:

Loblaw unveils Gardens plan

Struggling supermarket chain says 22-month redevelopment of vacant hockey shrine will begin this summer with a cleanup

Feb 21, 2007 04:30 AM

Dana Flavelle
business reporter

Three years after Loblaw Cos. Ltd. won a hard-fought battle to get its hands on Maple Leaf Gardens, the beleaguered supermarket chain says it is ready to begin redeveloping the hockey shrine.

Details of the company's plans for the storied former arena, which has played host to Stanley Cup victories as well as rock stars and royalty, remained sketchy yesterday.

But the company said it has received all the necessary permits and approvals and is ready to begin the interior cleanup this summer, which could be followed by 22 months of construction.

In the meantime, Loblaw said, it planned to get the ball rolling with a "symbolic gesture" by hosting its annual analyst meeting today in the historic rink.

"It's a nice nod to the future. (Loblaw executive chair) Galen (G. Weston) has always said it's a great combination of two Canadian icons," company spokesperson Elizabeth Margles said of the decision to hold the meeting in the College St. arena.

Under the heading "Making Loblaw Great Again," the 34-year-old heir to the Weston fortune is expected to explain in more detail his new management team's plans for restoring the business to its former glory.

Analysts said they were expecting few surprises.

In a recent report to investors, Perry Caicco of CIBC World Markets said investors hoping the company will do something dramatic to boost its stock price would be disappointed.

Caicco ruled out aggressive moves such as selling the company's financial-services business, the trucking fleet or real estate.

Loblaw's share price has fallen 35 per cent in the past two years as its efforts to compete with lower-cost rivals, such as Wal-Mart Canada Corp., hit some major stumbling blocks. The grocer has been opening larger stores that also carry non-food merchandise while closing less-efficient warehouses and opening new ones.

"They didn't execute that well, and, while they were doing so, they took their eye off the ball," said Gavin Graham, chief investment officer at Toronto-based Guardian Group of Funds Ltd., which holds shares of Loblaw's parent company, George Weston Ltd.

At the same time, Loblaw's rivals Metro, Sobeys and Safeway Inc. were "revitalizing" stores, improving fresh produce and service and developing their own store-brand lines of products, Graham said.

Loblaw's new executive team has already hinted at some of the company's future plans, including focusing more sharply on its customers and the in-store experience.

The company recently began re-emphasizing its PC Blue Menu brand, a line of "healthier for you" products available only in Loblaw-owned stores, with additional in-store signage, TV advertising and its quarterly flyer, the Insider's Report.

Such proprietary brands of-ten are more profitable for retailers.

The company operates 1,000 stores across Canada under a variety of names, including No Frills, Fortinos, Loblaws, Real Canadian SuperStore, and in Quebec, Maxi and Provigo.

Since taking over as head of the firm last fall, the younger Weston has announced plans to cut up to 20 per cent of head-office jobs, and taken massive writedowns on unsold merchandise and its struggling Provigo chain in Quebec, leading to its first annual loss in two decades.

Loblaw's biggest challenge is Wal-Mart, said Karl Moore, a professor at McGill University's Desautels Faculty of Management.

"Loblaw is trying reduce their internal costs to be more competitive, while stressing their Presidents' Choice brands and other things that differentiate them in a way that Canadians respond to," Moore said. "I don't think they've done a bad job. Clearly, there's some things they need to clean up."

But they're going to lose some ground to the newest entrant into Canada's grocery market, Moore said.

"It's just a fact of life."

Anyone know what happened to the plans for the Loblaws at Bathurst and Lakeshore?

Just one concert for me

The Tragically Hip - I think it was the Day for Night tour, my first concert.

I did get to see a bunch of leafs games, a Rock game, and even a Raptors game.

22 months of construction, and plans aren't even in place yet. Looks like MLG will be out of commission for a lonnnnnng time. Too bad.

22 months is a long time, earliest opening would be around end of 2009/early 2010, who knows how long "cleaning" will take, 6-12 months?

In 2-3 years we can all have a DT grocery store we can all be proud of..? Well useful to those in the area anyway.

just wondering, any word on loblaws and the building on front and lakeshore?

You asked that five posts after another one asked that.

Anyway, wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the ones "on hold" due the company's present crises. (And Galen Jr + Alexandra might as well use it for Spoke Club megabashes in the meantime...)

The store won't really be all that useful to area residents, and I don't think it's locals that the store is targetted at in the first place. There's already a grocery glut in the area (I'm within easy walking distance of two Dominions, a Sobey's, Cumbrae's, Reither's, Pusateri's, the ever reliable Super Fresh Mart, a No Frills, and a Food Basics), and if they were catering to locals they wouldn't need two floors of parking.

In honesty, the best use of the building (in terms of value to the neighbourhood) would be as a major event venue, either as an arena or a convention centre or concert venue, or something of the sort. There isn't really a need or a demand for big box retail on that scale. If it has to be big box retail then something like a Home Depot or a Rona would seem much more sensible to me.

Back