Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Lobbyist Registry tells us that the Kingston Road intensification, between Birchmount and Midland, that began w/'The Bluffs' is set to March eastward.

The only address is the one stated above, which is for a single retail unit.

However, that unit is part of a single legal parcel within a strip plaza, and I have highlighted that legal lot below:

1673481975167.png

The site, as I imagine it stretches to Ridgemont in the east, it may or may not also include the remainder of this strip westward to Leatherwood Gardens.

The Size of the highlighted area is ~4100m2 or about 1 acre. It could easily support a similar building or buildings to the Bluffs to the east; or they could certainly find room for a tower footprint here if they chose.

My guess, however would be 2 midrise form buildings with either a side street or mid-block pedestrian connection.

On Streetview, the plaza looks as such:

1673482240161.png

The legal address provided corresponds to the Pony Mart on the right hand side of the image.

The parking lot and apparent plaza does continue on to the west, though as discrete legal parcels:

1673482324973.png

On the right hand side of this image is 'The Bluff's condo for which we also have a thread here at UT.

Ah yes, this one.

They have been advertising all over Facebook to get 'regular people' to invest in the development. The architect is Icon Architects. Design needs work.

View attachment 450365
View attachment 450366

TY to @Midrise for the renders and details on this one, I have amended the title to reference ICON and I believe I count 12s here and have added that as well. If someone gets a different number do let me know!

I'm trying to ascertain what they imagine is happening at the west end of this site. They don't show any remaining plaza, nor do they show the street, is this just so much render fiction, or are they thinking a parkland dedication here? Hmmm

If hat bottom floor is meant to face a street or a parking, then a long blank wall is a non-starter.

I'm fine w/the overall height, but the balconies and the glazing don't work for me at all. Not particularly keen on the podium either, which I think should probably drop a level too (not impacting overall height.

TY to @Midrise for the renders and details on this one, I have amended the title to reference ICON and I believe I count 12s here and have added that as well. If someone gets a different number do let me know!

I'm trying to ascertain what they imagine is happening at the west end of this site. They don't show any remaining plaza, nor do they show the street, is this just so much render fiction, or are they thinking a parkland dedication here? Hmmm

If hat bottom floor is meant to face a street or a parking, then a long blank wall is a non-starter.

I'm fine w/the overall height, but the balconies and the glazing don't work for me at all. Not particularly keen on the podium either, which I think should probably drop a level too (not impacting overall height.
To my limited understanding Equiton owns up to the Pony Mart. The remaining parcels have not sold and will remain as-is. Cliffside Urban Design Guidelines call for some kind of Parkland component at that location.

1673633952121.png

I guess no development applications so far have been submitted to the city! I wonder how they get the rendering and have a website published for regular people to invest in when it has not been in the approval process?...

It is up.

Good digging @WislaHD; so odd that both I and @Art Tsai (who just loves to scoop me) both missed it, LOL

I think, in my case, it's because it went through the CoA; which I don't normally look through.

At any rate, let's see what those newly uncovered docs show:

Renders:

1678139758334.png

1678139824146.png

The other two are already shown above.

Site Plan:

1678139921164.png

1678139960754.png

1678139990126.png

1678140009347.png

1678140033118.png

Think I'll add the Block Context Plan here:

1678140146630.png

Last edited:
Unsure if this is the correct thread to comment, but with the block context plan and seemingly increasing density in the stretch between danforth/midland on Kingston. Do folks have an example of what that type of front looks like where 3 lanes exist on both sides of the median? The density is welcome but the pedestrian experience seems hard to imagine. As a local near the Scarborough Junction proposed development and this Kingston road intensification, it is very welcome but what types of changes can we expect with the intensification? Other parts of the Kingston road corridor are pedestrian friendly with slower traffic and on street parking and narrower road arteries.
Would love examples or thoughts (or perhaps the better place to pose this questioning).
Thanks in advance!

Unsure if this is the correct thread to comment, but with the block context plan and seemingly increasing density in the stretch between danforth/midland on Kingston. Do folks have an example of what that type of front looks like where 3 lanes exist on both sides of the median? The density is welcome but the pedestrian experience seems hard to imagine. As a local near the Scarborough Junction proposed development and this Kingston road intensification, it is very welcome but what types of changes can we expect with the intensification? Other parts of the Kingston road corridor are pedestrian friendly with slower traffic and on street parking and narrower road arteries.
Would love examples or thoughts (or perhaps the better place to pose this questioning).
Thanks in advance!

I will add to @Midrise 's comment above by noting that the City is tentantively set to propose cycle tracks on this section of Kingston Road which will buffer pedestrians somewhat from the car experience. A variety of small-scale, pro-pedestrian initiatives are proposed in concert with the above where Kingston Road is being reconstructed this year.

The renders for that should be out shortly.

Back