WislaHD

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
More density coming to Midtown area, this time in the form of townhouses:

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...4031889&isCofASearch=false&isTlabSearch=false

zj8gfQG.jpg

From the submission PDF:
"The site is comprised of a consolidation of seven properties fronting Roehampton Avenue, including 413, 417, 419, 423, 425, 429 and 431 Roehampton Avenue.

The proposal involves the demolition of the existing semi-detached houses on the site for the development of two 3-1/2-storey stacked townhouse blocks (north and south) comprised of 52 dwelling units. The proposed development will contain 5,884 square metres (63,338 square feet) of residential gross floor area resulting in a density of 1.86 times the area of the lot. A shared underground parking garage, which will include 65 parking spaces, will be provided with direct vehicular access from Roehampton Avenue.

The north townhouse block will front directly onto Roehampton Avenue and will be approximately 10.92 metres in height measured from established grade (14.03 metres to the top of the roof terrace access). It will contain a total of 28 units, 14 of which will face Roehampton Avenue and 14 of which will face an internal courtyard. All of the units will be 2-storey units.

The south townhouse block will be located at the rear of the site, parallel to the north block. It will be 9.06 metres in height measured from established grade (12.17 metres to the top of the roof stair enclosure). Given the elevation increase of approximately 3.5 metres at the south end of the site, the basement level and a small portion of the ground floor level will be located below established grade. It will contain a total of 24 units, 17 of which will face the internal courtyard and 7 of which will face the rear property line. The majority of the dwellings will be 2-storey units (13 units) located on levels 1-3, with the exception of 11 single storey units located on the basement and ground floor levels. All units will have front doors facing the internal courtyard.

A total of 52 stacked townhouse units are proposed, with a mix of 4 onebedroom units (8%), 42 two-bedroom units (81%) and 6 three-bedroom units (11%)."

How....this is crazy to see...but I can't be surprised I suppose. There'll be some disgruntled locals for sure (I myself am...okay with this, just barely however), though this kind of density progression can only be expected if we're going to see this area really become a new transit hub.

How....this is crazy to see...but I can't be surprised I suppose. There'll be some disgruntled locals for sure (I myself am...okay with this, just barely however), though this kind of density progression can only be expected if we're going to see this area really become a new transit hub.
This is just around the corner to me. I just learned about this prior to posting so I am still digesting the information myself.

At face value, townhouses should not be opposed in established neighbourhoods like this. They are a great way to add high density levels without changing the character of the neighbourhood, and without having to deal with new and tall towers.

If anything, when there is a real density creep of tall towers encroaching on the neighbourhood, townhouses are simply too much of a pain and hassle for a developer to assemble into a lot. Therefore, townhouses are a great way to safeguard a neighbourhood from 'condo creep'. (See 200 Soudan for example) Those NIMBYs should be encouraging townhouses, if anything.

This is just around the corner to me. I just learned about this prior to posting so I am still digesting the information myself.

At face value, townhouses should not be opposed in established neighbourhoods like this. They are a great way to add high density levels without changing the character of the neighbourhood, and without having to deal with new and tall towers.

If anything, when there is a real density creep of tall towers encroaching on the neighbourhood, townhouses are simply too much of a pain and hassle for a developer to assemble into a lot. Therefore, townhouses are a great way to safeguard a neighbourhood from 'condo creep'. (See 200 Soudan for example) Those NIMBYs should be encouraging townhouses, if anything.
I agree.

65 parking spots for 52 units? (Compared to 60 spots for bicycle parking).

More two car families, just what every transit hub needs.

no surprise there. Good luck to this developer - this is the sort of thing that really should be approved, but likely won't.

Also: Lol @ the sign in front of the development application! "Kids first, no tower!"

This is very, very far from a tower.

This project is the "missing middle" that is talked about so much these days. Awful that such a project would not be endorsed so close to the future Mt. Pleasant stop of the Eglinton Crosstown.

The City should be actively promoting this style of redevelopment in these types of locations.

I think there was a warning mentioned among Councillors earlier in the day at the TEYCC about us not Manhattanizing Toronto. Thank goodness they took a stand against that here!

Back