Vultur, you have done a lot of name calling and have made a lot of allegations. Unfortunately, you have yet to provide any evidence for anything you have said - not one verifiable fact for anything. Do us a favour: provide facts and evidence for your allegations, or don't bother making them. This board can do without baseless rumours and name calling.

Keep your eyes on your wallets people. I'd be careful with this clown. Caveat Emptor.

To those who believe that excavation=completion recent history has shown numerous instances to the contrary.

These statements are meaningless. They offer no information whatsoever.

I'd be careful with this clown. Caveat Emptor.

Goes the same for you vultur, no?

I had a more detailed look at this project over the weekend. I've changed my opinions of it and of the builder. I think he's going to leave quite a positive imprint on the area. My earlier opinions were very inaccurate.

This one will really come to life as I see it.

I had a more detailed look at this project over the weekend. I've changed my opinions of it and of the builder. I think he's going to leave quite a positive imprint on the area. My earlier opinions were very inaccurate.

This one will really come to life as I see it.

Where did the *real* Vultur go? Did Freed drop a bag of money on your doorstep or brainwash you with the all powerful Freed Ray?
What made you change your opinion?

Where did the *reral* Vultur go? Did Freed drop a bag of money on your doorstep or brainwash you with the all powerful Freed Ray?
What made you change your opinion?

I had a closer look at some of the projects. If you are a bona fide buyer, I think he's offering some really interesting product, albeit at a premium. I also really like the area.

.. photo from this week

75PortlandSt13.jpg

Do you honestly think that when it was built that they thought it would become a heritage building? Just like you and I, it was never meant to last forever.

Don't you think that's exactly what they said when they knocked down the Temple building? Or the Armoury? Or the Registry building? Is anything ever built to be a heritage building? Is our heritage only ever consciously constructed?

The building they tore down wasn't a stunner, but it was a legitimate part of that neighbourhood's fabric. If you remove those structures, what touchstones do you have to the area's past? And anyway...in 10 years time when YOO is old noos, which of the two facades would you prefer to look at? Some century-old weathered brick, or some slap-dash stucco? In 50 years?

We need to start protecting these marginal structures as they're certainly not being replaced with equally substantial architecture.

Don't you think that's exactly what they said when they knocked down the Temple building? Or the Armoury? Or the Registry building? Is anything ever built to be a heritage building? Is our heritage only ever consciously constructed?

The building they tore down wasn't a stunner, but it was a legitimate part of that neighbourhood's fabric. If you remove those structures, what touchstones do you have to the area's past? And anyway...in 10 years time when YOO is old noos, which of the two facades would you prefer to look at? Some century-old weathered brick, or some slap-dash stucco? In 50 years?

We need to start protecting these marginal structures as they're certainly not being replaced with equally substantial architecture.

500WellingtonStW1.jpg

500WellingtonStW2.jpg

500WellingtonStW3.jpg

This is also a legitimate part of that neighbourhood's fabric - do you wish to save this as well? Just because something is old is not reason enough to keep it forever. Would you preserve the south east corner of Yonge & Bloor just because it is old? Is there a cut-off date for being old?

As for the Temple Building and The Armoury, I recall that there was plenty of grumbling about their loss and to suggest otherwise is a tad revisionist and a diservice to the truth.

500WellingtonStW3.jpg

This is also a legitimate part of that neighbourhood's fabric - do you wish to save this as well? Just because something is old is not reason enough to keep it forever. Would you preserve the south east corner of Yonge & Bloor just because it is old? Is there a cut-off date for being old?

I would like to save it. It's got way nicer brickwork than most buildings constructed nowadays. It's small and well turned out and would make a lovely base for some larger building. Certainly more endearing than sheets of glass.

Is there a limit? Sure. The buildings on the immediate corner of Yonge/Bloor have been renovated into oblivion. Its probably safe to let them pass, but the building poking into the photo on the far right ought to be saved:
furnished_toronto_normal_yorkville_apr_29_2006_0256.jpg

As for the Temple Building and The Armoury, I recall that there was plenty of grumbling about their loss and to suggest otherwise is a tad revisionist and a diservice to the truth.

I didn't suggest anything of the sort. Both buildings came down, so obviously the people in charge felt they weren't worth saving.

Is there a limit? Sure. The buildings on the immediate corner of Yonge/Bloor have been renovated into oblivion. Its probably safe to let them pass, but the building poking into the photo on the far right ought to be saved:

The restoration crowd can do marvelous things these days - they could restore this little beauty back to it's original glory in no time.

There's a charming little strip mall at College and Augusta, also a legitimate part of the urban fabric. Perhaps you could start a group to save the endangered strip malls in the city. There are also quite a few McDonald's drive-thru establishments which are giving worried glances at the march of the condos

The restoration crowd can do marvelous things these days - they could restore this little beauty back to it's original glory in no time.

There's a charming little strip mall at College and Augusta, also a legitimate part of the urban fabric. Perhaps you could start a group to save the endangered strip malls in the city. There are also quite a few McDonald's drive-thru establishments which are giving worried glances at the march of the condos

I appreciate your condescending tone, how clever you are!

The two buildings that kicked this conversation off are hardly strip malls and McDonald's drive-throughs. If you don't want to seriously discuss something why not just ignore the thread?

You describe the buildings you champion as "marginal" .... which would surely place them in the same category as strip malls and McDonalds drive-thru, perhaps even a bit below that level of significance.

You describe the buildings you champion as "marginal" .... which would surely place them in the same category as strip malls and McDonalds drive-thru, perhaps even a bit below that level of significance.

Well, then maybe marginal's the wrong word - because I think even laypeople could see an inherent value in those two buildings, that's a lot harder to locate in most strip malls or the average McDonald's. I also don't preclude the possibility that some strip malls and some McDonald's might be worthy of saving.

But...why are we even talking about strip malls and McDonalds...is there either on this site? Does every discussion around saving a building have to include buildings from the other side of town?

Back