Tim MacDonald

Member Bio
Reaction score
Driving home up Erin Mills parkway I saw a development application sign for two 15s residential buildings to be built on existing parking lots - one at the northwest corner and another at the southeast. I didn't see the application on the Mississauga development application websites. Currently looking through my aerial collection for a photo.

Photo from April 9th.
1692483995385.jpeg

The parking lot is big enough to support a building without encroaching on the mall structure itself. It's also possible there might be some demolition of parts of the mall as well.

I know I have some better shots of the mall but I have to find them. I've been really good at shooting a lot of images lately, but a total failure when it comes to filing them.

620 units and 713 parking spaces. Mississauga in a nutshell.
I'm not sure what people are expecting in this area.

Are there wide sidewalks everywhere? Protected bike lanes? Permeable street grid? Frequent BRT? Midrise and multiplex density? Amenity rich locale?

Yes, all of those can be put in place. But it'll take a long time and most won't be ready by the time this is built.

In the meantime, if we want denser housing, that's what it'll look like here.

I'm not sure what people are expecting in this area.

Are there wide sidewalks everywhere? Protected bike lanes? Permeable street grid? Frequent BRT? Midrise and multiplex density? Amenity rich locale?

Yes, all of those can be put in place. But it'll take a long time and most won't be ready by the time this is built.

In the meantime, if we want denser housing, that's what it'll look like here.
i know the area well and it's underserved by transit. i grew up around there. my school lunch times consisted of going to Music World and then heading to the foodcourt and having a smoke. I get why it needs parking. it's just a sad state of affairs in Mississauga. for a city that big, they're so far behind. it's going to take a long time, if ever, to correct it. atleast things are looking up along the Hurontario corridor.

i know the area well and it's underserved by transit. i grew up around there. my school lunch times consisted of going to Music World and then heading to the foodcourt and having a smoke. I get why it needs parking. it's just a sad state of affairs in Mississauga. for a city that big, they're so far behind. it's going to take a long time, if ever, to correct it. atleast things are looking up along the Hurontario corridor.
We’re reverse engineering city building. This is part of the result. But let’s not kid ourselves. 30 years ago Toronto’s population was bigger than Mississauga is now and guess what there was plenty of surface parking lots right downtown Toronto. People drive in Toronto too. Let’s not act like it’s just Mississauga. That’s plain silly. This is far away from either MCC or port credit. Of course these people will want and need parking.

Development application available here.

Phase 1, Building G1, 15 storeys, 371 dwelling units
1692988419927.png

Located in front of the Sheridan Centre Bus Terminal at the southwest corner of Fowler Drive and North Sheridan Way.

Phase 2, Building A1, 15 storeys, 249 dwelling units
1692988409929.png

Located on the KFC/Taco Bell outparcel at the southeast corner of Erin Mills Parkway and Lincoln Green Way.

The masterplan consists of 5 phases with 10 blocks. The tallest buildings proposed would be two 29 storey towers located across from Roche Court.

1692989625169.jpeg

1692989585056.png

Attachments

• 1692988459695.png
    1692988459695.png
    731.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
A master project has been created for the master plan of Sheridan Mall Redevelopment and a sub-project has been created to reflect this joint-submission of Buildings A & G. Both projects will share this thread for now until future phases are submitted, at which point we may decide to break up the threads.

The development master plan, prepared by BrookMcIlroy, contains additional information, stats and maps for the master plan, I will attach 2 below:
93f98a4e6e3d6f5edcfcc7f605540a1a_Sheridan_Development_Master_Plan-54.jpg

93f98a4e6e3d6f5edcfcc7f605540a1a_Sheridan_Development_Master_Plan-50.jpg

Attachments

• 93f98a4e6e3d6f5edcfcc7f605540a1a_Sheridan_Development_Master_Plan-49.jpg
    93f98a4e6e3d6f5edcfcc7f605540a1a_Sheridan_Development_Master_Plan-49.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 28
A master project has been created for the master plan of Sheridan Mall Redevelopment and a sub-project has been created to reflect this joint-submission of Buildings A & G. Both projects will share this thread for now until future phases are submitted, at which point we may decide to break up the threads.

The development master plan, prepared by BrookMcIlroy, contains additional information, stats and maps for the master plan, I will attach 2 below:
View attachment 502298
View attachment 502300
Am I wrong, or should the ground floor retail either be facing Erin Mills Parkway or be on Erin Mills as well? (as in, both spots)

The area isn't very walkable but I think retail facing the main road adds more to walkability than facing the remaining mall

Actually, I think it should all be mixed use, but what do I know

Tower in the park is just vertical suburban sprawl

Meh, I doubt it. Merely having retail face a major suburban street does little to improve its walkability. You need other design changes like narrower/fewer car lanes, good public transit, wide sidewalks, traffic calming and so forth. It's more realistic to try and make the courtyard a little more animated/vibrant.

Also, the hate for towers in the park is way overblown. They provide decent density: about 25-35,000 people per square kilometre.

If the surrounding space is nicely landscaped and has some weather protection, it's fine. When done well, it's actually much better than having barren concrete and towers right next to each other.

It also makes no sense singling out towers in the park as vertical suburban sprawl when most suburban point towers also have high parking ratios and poor transit access.

Am I wrong, or should the ground floor retail either be facing Erin Mills Parkway or be on Erin Mills as well? (as in, both spots)

The area isn't very walkable but I think retail facing the main road adds more to walkability than facing the remaining mall

Actually, I think it should all be mixed use, but what do I know

Tower in the park is just vertical suburban sprawl
Keep in mind the real function of Erin Mills Parkway ----- it is a true arterial meant to move traffic through an area to somewhere else. None of the houses front EMP and the area was designed as, and is completely needed as, a true North-South thoroughfare. Putting the retail inward, in my mind, was the right decision since this was never designed as, nor should it be, a promenade area.

Instead, make it a neighbourhood within a neighbourhood by creating an internal streetscape

Back