Ah found the thread for this project. Past by this sign about a month back and was wondering why there was hardly any information for this project. I have walked around the corner of Highway 7 and Weston and find it rather pleasant (the area around Centro Square is particularly nice) so I really do not see too many problems with patrons walking to the Weston stop from the development. The bus service on Highway 7 can also be easily improved as all the hard infrastructure has been complete with only the service level needing to be brought up. And if YRT doesn't improve service, I would say that Brampton Transit will probably fill in the gaps. Quite excited for Vaughan's future skyline with the hopes that, one day, northern Ontarians will mistaken Vaughan for downtown Toronto.
IMG_20200329_151628.jpg

Ah found the thread for this project. Past by this sign about a month back and was wondering why there was hardly any information for this project. I have walked around the corner of Highway 7 and Weston and find it rather pleasant (the area around Centro Square is particularly nice) so I really do not see too many problems with patrons walking to the Weston stop from the development. The bus service on Highway 7 can also be easily improved as all the hard infrastructure has been complete with only the service level needing to be brought up. And if YRT doesn't improve service, I would say that Brampton Transit will probably fill in the gaps. Quite excited for Vaughan's future skyline with the hopes that, one day, northern Ontarians will mistaken Vaughan for downtown Toronto.View attachment 250442
Northern Ontarians: When did Downtown Toronto have such tall roller coasters?

Hmm, I think the driving part is a selling point not a hindrance. This is in Vaughan and right next to a major highway interchange after all, people buying into these condos will drive, as they will at VMC and along the Sheppard corridor and elsewhere. The important thing is that there is a BRT stop next door, so the mode share can in theory (and by intent) be split fairly between transit and driving depending on travel patterns of residents who choose to relocate here.

I understand that the VIVA bus routes are not super frequent yet, but I thought the whole point of building them as BRT rather than as regular bus routes was to induce development and increase frequency overtime as demand warrants it. In other words, there is excess capacity on this transit route to support a development like this. Residents at Centro Square opting to walk rather than take the BRT could be a function of (a) the VIVA route through this stretch only opening in the past year or so; (b) the lack of fare integration; and (c) lack of frequency on the route. All three concerns seem like they are solvable long-term.

I find it strange to hold this development site to different standards than elsewhere in the region. Elsewhere, we would applaud redevelopment proposals two bus stops (7 minutes according to Google Maps) away from a subway station. I mean, this development has a striking similarity to QuadReal's Cloverdale Mall redevelopment, which is a similar distance away from the subway station, and similar located next to a highway interchange and adjacent to some of the worst air quality in the entire region, and yet that development is moving forward without much criticism and significantly higher densities than this proposal.

I agree on both points that this is probably a long-term development scheme, and that this development as proposed is probably too dense. Still, I want to see new residential clusters pop up in the 905, and subsequent development at the Home Depot site and surrounding area might make this a viable future neighbourhood district independent of VMC. A lot can change in 20 years.
I realize this post is from back in January, but I thought I might be able to add to it. I've spent a fair amount of time walking in both the cloverdale area and near this development and I can tell you the difference is enormous. Walking along Dundas between the subway and Cloverdale could be nicer, the road is too wide and there is a lot of pavement but has some street level retail and decent sidewalks. It's suburban but people are walking around. Walking around 400 & 7 feels like an extreme sport. Sidewalks are inconsistent if you try and access the retail/offices and cars aren't expecting you. The scale is somehow different. It really does feel safer in a car there.

That being said, walkability won't improve without increased density and this is increased density. Most of the people in these condos will drive but not everyone. The ones who don't will be the increased ridership to justify the increased transit and other necessary infrastructure. It actually looks like complete streets are being built in front of centro. If those are expanded across the highway it will make a big difference in walker comfort.

Wayyyy too much density here. The walking distance to the subway is too far and unpleasant having to cross the 400 on either Highway 7 with that terrible median crossing or the tiny sidewalk on Portage Parkway.

A partially enclosed pedestrian bridge/cycle path from Block G to Apple Mill Road would improve it significantly; brings the distance down to about 1.2km and would make it much more weather friendly.

RioCan is not going to allow SmartCentres to have all the fun in Vaughan it looks like.

Thread made here for the potential redevelopment across Highway 7 of the RioCan owned lands. Needless to say, I am sure RioCan will be observing closely to how the SmartCentres site progresses through planning approvals, and eventually, sales.

Wooh! All those proposed skyscrapers in Vaughan! This is what happens when you put a couple of Subway stops by two major highways and arterial roads.

Walking distance from most of the parking spaces to the subway are probably greater than 500m. Claiming that a 600m walk to a BRT station is too far is a bit of a stretch.

Back