I think it makes a lot of sense to add more uses while keeping the existing retail and/or office components, based on the site.

I think it makes a lot of sense to add more uses while keeping the existing retail and/or office components, based on the site.
I just think employee lands is a bit of a strange way to describe some of these places. For instance in the other site near Erindale GO station is a Tim hortons or McDonald’s worthy of employment lands? How about a few auto shops. Or somewhere to get a massage? The auto shop could be anywhere. It definitely doesn’t need to be by a go station and fast food can be in the podium of a building.

I think with site 1, it is almost entirely retail. Residents nearby are concerned that the retail component won't be replaced to the same degree.

I think with site 1, it is almost entirely retail. Residents nearby are concerned that the retail component won't be replaced to the same degree.
You can put it in the bottom of the condominium. But suburb people like to drive to their plazas so the likelyhood is they will just drive somewhere else. One day though when all surface parking is gone at plazas and malls people are going to have to figure it out.

You can put it in the bottom of the condominium. But suburb people like to drive to their plazas so the likelyhood is they will just drive somewhere else. One day though when all surface parking is gone at plazas and malls people are going to have to figure it out.
I think it's more a matter of replacing grocery stores and Walmart with dollar stores and pharmacies wouldn't meet the community's needs. I expect the new large format retail would have underground parking.

The video has a representative from SmartCentres saying that there would be no overall loss of retail or employment square footage, from what I recall.

Back