20230611_132553.jpg

Seeing this thing's sides straight-on vs. seeing it directly up from the bottom is quite a surprise in what it reveals about the building. Looking up from the base, it's immediately apparent how lovely the and well-done the geometric folding and outlines of the balconies have been done. That's a skilled pour and an urbane and pleasing touch that would have greatly benefitted the tower had the cladding engaged with it properly. Personally, I can't help but think how good it could have looked if they had used the balcony outlines as is to produce a closed volume.

This tower is a cautionary monument to expediency, speculation and ugly choices. If fate smiles on us, perhaps it will be up for a recladding in twenty years. In the meantime, it deserves every insult heaped on it.

Last edited:
No picture, but I passed by the other day and noticed that the patterned cladding had been extended to the parapet above the roofline. Again, all that effort and extra expense that could’ve been spent on better balcony glazing …

At least they continued he folds to the top.
Compare to Grosvenor Pacific in Vancouver, where they stopped short:
standard_vignette_1317-17_70007_sc_v2com.jpg
What works here is that the balcony glazing is opaque making the balcony shapes pop out at more angles. And the curtain wall is of a higher caliber materials making it far less distracting to the balcony style...

...I'm not saying I like this building, but it's much more pleasant to look at than the antiSocial here.

What works here is that the balcony glazing is opaque making the balcony shapes pop out at more angles. And the curtain wall is of a higher caliber materials making it far less distracting to the balcony style...

...I'm not saying I like this building, but it's much more pleasant to look at than the antiSocial here.
Yeah, it's carrera marble at the balcony slab edge which nicely defines the zigzags.
The dark glazing hides a lot of spandrel on that one too.

Back