Where are the customers going to come from?

There area a huge number of people moving into this area. Have you not been reading our stories?!

There area a huge number of people moving into this area. Have you not been reading our stories?!

I definitely grant that there are a lot of people moving into this area (Beyond the Sea, West Lake, Eau du Soleil, etc.), but even with those developments that stretch of road just seems so desolate. I can't imagine many condo dwellers stepping out of their lobbies then turning north on Park Lawn. Maybe I'm underestimating West Lake's presence on that stretch. It may also have something to do with the giant Christie's plant on the other side of the road, which will of course be redeveloped sooner or later.

edit: I just discovered the threads for 36 Park Lawn and 42 Park Lawn. It indeed looks like virtually the entire western side of Park Lawn south of the tracks will be redeveloped. I can't wait to see the results.

Last edited:
We still have no idea of when 42 will go ahead, but Key West at 36 is well ahead of what anyone thought.

It will take a while for Park Lawn to be a really attractive street to walk along in that area, and it will have a great deal to do with how the redevelopment of the Christie's plant goes. That plus a GO station should be added.

Anyway, I don't live far north of here, and if the izakaya is any good, I'm afraid I may spend more there than I should. The gelateria (which has tons of marble inside) will be a big draw for me too.

My Girlfriend and I come to this area a lot during summer evenings to walk from Parklawn to Sunnyside (We are coming from Bloor and Islington). We get a bit disappointed with the lack of bars, Ice Cream parlors, Restaurants, and coffee shops. So here’s hoping that these type of business will dominate these storefronts.

This neighborhood can go only two ways. Cityplace (ghost town with those dreaded businesses I mentioned in my previous post) or the next Port Credit.

This is why I am a little reluctant to purchase a condo in that area.

My Girlfriend and I come to this area a lot during summer evenings to walk from Parklawn to Sunnyside (We are coming from Bloor and Islington). We get a bit disappointed with the lack of bars, Ice Cream parlors, Restaurants, and coffee shops. So here’s hoping that these type of business will dominate these storefronts.

This neighborhood can go only two ways. Cityplace (ghost town with those dreaded businesses I mentioned in my previous post) or the next Port Credit.

This is why I am a little reluctant to purchase a condo in that area.

I completely agree. It's very frustrating and what I consider a failure of Toronto planning to not allow on-street parking on Lake Shore and Park Lawn. It is honestly the only way these businesses will survive. Take a look at the retail on Lake Shore (Beyond the Sea, Hearthstone by the Bay, Nautilus) and it is not leasing well. Most businesses say they are not interested in leasing as there is nowhere to park on the street for customers to make a quick stop. Marine Parade could end up fabulous, and from the new developments, it will be retail heavy with a focus on restaurants. I'm really excited to see who Ocean Club chooses for their massive 8k sqf restaurant.

What I think this area sorely needs is a good English/Irish styled pub. There is nowhere to drink there!

I completely agree. It's very frustrating and what I consider a failure of Toronto planning to not allow on-street parking on Lake Shore and Park Lawn. It is honestly the only way these businesses will survive. Take a look at the retail on Lake Shore (Beyond the Sea, Hearthstone by the Bay, Nautilus) and it is not leasing well. Most businesses say they are not interested in leasing as there is nowhere to park on the street for customers to make a quick stop. Marine Parade could end up fabulous, and from the new developments, it will be retail heavy with a focus on restaurants. I'm really excited to see who Ocean Club chooses for their massive 8k sqf restaurant.

What I think this area sorely needs is a good English/Irish styled pub. There is nowhere to drink there!

A good business plan would be to buy up whatever vacant land left in that area and turn it into a 5 Storey parking lot.
You can plaster large posters/advertisements on whatever sides of the parking lot facing the streets to give a more "downtown vibe".

Irish styled pub with a massive patio would be great. In fact it should be mandatory to have patios for all the future eat-in type businesses in that area. Build patios on top of patios. Rooftop patios would be a nice welcome in that area. Sunnyside has awful food but their patio is to die for.

There currently is no vacant land in the neighbourhood! (There's a plan at some stage or other for virtually every scrap of it.) Eau du Soleil will come with an above ground parking lot (nicely detailed on the exterior). Check out the dataBase listing for it.

Saturday March 23rd, 2013

8587042416_e91448d01e_b.jpg

Was by there today and they have removed the south entrance and converting it to a patio and sidewalk. You can see it in the above photo, but I have a better shot of it that needs to be fix and uploaded.

Still amassing that the cafe at the south end is still not completed yet. More equipment on site in boxes.

With traffic now using the main entrance/exit, wondering how long it will be before an accident take place there as well having traffic lights??

There is a stop sign exiting the complex, but no one stop for it and just barrel out onto the road without stopping unless there was traffic in the way. Cars were flying as they left the ramp with no thought about people walking.

Nice. Hopefully it would part of a nice stretch of retail/cafes/restaurant starting at Westlake.

The cafe was open on Sat when I was there, but only staff there with all the doors open.

The patio is a nice size and fence in.

Will post some photos later.

Back