Finance related definitely.

Deloitte was my first my first thought as they could definitely use a higher profile space in the CBD, but I'd think that PwC would have something to say about a direct competitor moving into Southcore.

To recap Filip's hints.

-Foreign.
-Finance-related, but not a bank, and not an accounting firm.
-Consolidating offices from around the core, but must be expanding, too, because they can't have that much spread around.
-"I have seldom heard of this company before even though they're quite a juggernaut in their industry."

Some options a bit of Google-fu has put together... I know at least some of the below have Canadian offices in Toronto, but can't speak for all.

Big international insurers, although many aren't exactly flush with cash these days in light of the economic downturn:
-Axa
-AIG
-Allianz
-Aviva
-MetLife
-Prudential
-Standard Life

Insurance brokerages
-Aon
-Marsh & McLennan
-Willis

Other big asset managers
-BlackRock
-Fidelity
-Franklin Templeton

Of course, a real skyscraper geek would be quite familiar with names like Aon, Willis and MetLife in light of their American head offices, so perhaps we can strike those off the list :)

Another question: Why are the large banks shopping for space ? We know it can't be RBC. There is quite a bit of space in the TD complex and Commerce Court. So you'd imagine TD and CIBC could just grow internally in their current buildings, which must be a lot cheaper !

Or is it the environmental factor / are rental rates less in the newer buildings ?

It's on the list you put together. That's all I'm saying. It'll be public soon anyway.

And, with a bit more Googling, can pretty much rule most of the below laundry list out
-Axa - sold their Canadian subsidiary to Intact in 2011
-AIG - sold their Canadian subsidiary to BMO in 2009
-Allianz - sold most of their Canadian subsidiary to ING in 2004
-Aviva - based out in Scarborough
-MetLife -sold their Canadian subsidiary to Unity Life in 2009
-Prudential - sold their Canadian subsidiary to London Life in 1997
-Standard Life - Canadian head office is in Montreal

Insurance brokerages
-Aon - Canadian head office is at Waterpark Place, at least two other locations across core
-Marsh & McLennan - Two downtown Toronto offices
-Willis - Canadian head office is at 145 King West

Other big asset managers
-BlackRock - One Toronto office
-Fidelity - Canadian head office at Bell Trinity Square
-Franklin Templeton - Canadian head office at North York City Centre

I'm wondering if it's AON /HEWITT. You have them at Waterpark Place, 225 King Street W, 145 Wellington Street W and at 2 Sheppard Ave E in NYCC.

Aon regional headquarters is actually in Markham ...
600 Alden road, on Warden just south of Hi-way 7.

Well of some division anyway, they have so many it seems.
The only reason I commented was I occasionally see this building (it has a Aon signage on the roof) when I drive back home :) From the suburbs where most large technology / software firms are unfortunately located.

Good job, Platform 27, on identifying the likely lead tenant for this Bremner building! :)

As for the two banks that are shopping for large space, my guess would be BMO and Scotiabank. I'm so glad they're staying in the core (i.e. the required new space will be in downtown and not the 905).

I wonder if BMO would be a potential lead tenant at either the Ice office tower or Richmond-Adelaide III and Scotiabank the lead tenant at Bay-Adelaide II?

Good job, Platform 27, on identifying the likely lead tenant for this Bremner building! :)

As for the two banks that are shopping for large space, my guess would be BMO and Scotiabank. I'm so glad they're staying in the core (i.e. the required new space will be in downtown and not the 905).

I wonder if BMO would be a potential lead tenant at either the Ice office tower or Richmond-Adelaide III and Scotiabank the lead tenant at Bay-Adelaide II?

BMO has major presences in FCP, Manulife Centre, 250 Yonge, and Yonge Sheppard Centre, a minor presence in 160 Bloor East. BMO has also just opened a new building in Meadowvale. The likely candidates (my opinion) for relocation may be the Yonge and Sheppard facility - buildings are dated (definitely not up to current OBC) and they have a new owner in RioCan - and the 160 Bloor East space, due to its relatively small footprint - all told this would not be a great amount of space - unless the Manulife Centre space were also to be consolidated downtown.

On the other hand, TD is continuing to grow, and my suspicion is that the Mississauga Creekside facility has not been as effective a location as originally envisioned. Subsequent to the four existing Creekside buildings being opened, I am not aware of any further space being added by TD in that area, while there has been additional space absorbed downtown - albeit much of that associated with the TD - Canada Trust merger. As the twentieth anniversary of the Creekside occupancy will be coming up in a few years, I wonder if that might be a candidate for at least partial consolidation back downtown.

If you jump back to page 37, you'll realize that BMO was for a while the assumed anchor tenant for the Bremner Tower on the basis of a logo on a tower render in an InvestTO brochure. IIRC, shortly thereafter (not in this thread, somewhere else maybe?), someone with insider knowledge of BMO said they had cooled on the need to expand their downtown office footprint for now, which contributed to the several months of capped-or-not-capped debate on this building. The fact that the lead tenant is now emerging as someone else seems to validate this.

The BA2 Supertall!!1!eleventy thread has speculation that Scotia might want to move whole-hog out of their current digs and into a newer, bigger tower.

Safe to assume from their 2-going-on-3 downtown sites RBC is obviously done expanding for the near term, and I guess the going assumption is TD has plenty between their original Mieseplex and the Canada Trust pickup. CIBC seems not to come up much in the new office space discussion, and I'm a little curious why not.

Back