Somebody had to brand the strip. Southcore doesn't sound that bad at all, and it sure beats talking about "that new high-rise district forming along Bremner." It wouldn't surprise me if it catches on.

Somebody had to brand the strip. Southcore doesn't sound that bad at all, and it sure beats talking about "that new high-rise district forming along Bremner." It wouldn't surprise me if it catches on.

It's a lot better than something like "Toronto Life Square" ugh.

I actually quite like the area name that's been chosen. (By the developer, I assume.) As long as people don't start referring to the financial district north of the tracks as Northcore...

We could call them Hardcore and and Softcore perhaps. To be honest, I also think Southcore is appropriate for a complex at this location. I imagine, however, that it's a working name, and like "Union Tower", may disappear later on.

Tewder, I appreciate your sentiment but I never suspected Bremner or for that matter any new waterfront streetscape to be particularly engaging at street level. The reason is that form and intriguing form solutions in buildings flow from ownership or responsiblity divisions. Some blank slate projects work out but rarely. I believe this is not a cultural but a universal phenomenon. The space between Union and the waterfront will soon be filled in with structures and land-uses that will provide a mediocre but improved connection between the city and the lake. Outside of bustling summer weekends it will never be one of the more engaging or vibrant districts in our city.

Yes, you're probably right... but I still get to bitch about it! :)

That said, for new developing areas shouldn't the city be zoning some development requirements?, i.e. no podiums, or buildings must meet the property line in a certain way, or so much street-level footage must accommodate retail/commercial, etc... Is this too communist? or too French? Bremner offers a lot to developers in terms of its emerging potential as one of the most important streets in the new zone so maybe they'd be a bit more willing to adapt to any city zoning here as a trade-off? I don't know, at the end of the day, haven't we learned anything about urbanism? Are the older parts of Toronto that work well simply happy accidents? It looks that way.

^ That is the part of these web sites I find distasteful. The avarice and greed associated with all developments, especially condos. I know money is to be had by all those so inclined, but having taken a vow of poverty many years ago, it curdles my soul to read such sentiments.

I prefer the altruistic side to architecture. For the art of it. For the enjoyment and betterment of society as a whole. As if the city were a lump of clay that bit by bit we are remolding to a great work of art. That's why I never read the Real Estate threads. I would expect that kind of comment there.

Anyway...

I thought this area was dubbed "Lowertown" many years ago on some of these web sites. When some of the first proposals started popping up, I remember it being referred to in that way.. Many cities have an area designated as 'Lower Town' and it doesn't necessarily refer to the socioeconomic situation of its inhabitants. In Toronto's case there is an Uptown and a Downtown and below that is Lowertown.
Oh well, I guess who ever builds the most down here gets to christen it whatever they choose.

Last edited:
I've never heard of this area being called "Lowertown". I'm not saying it hasn't been called that by some, I've just never read those websites. This area has also been called the Railway Lands, with this particular section Railway Land East. The Railway Lands East Secondary Plan is bounded by John/Rees, Front, Yonge, and Lake Shore.

How about dubbing the area 'The Rails'. 500 Years from now when the railway tracks are completely gone and forgotten it'll be a quirky name that will leave people wondering where the devil it came from...

^^ hard to imagine what toronto will look like in 500 years! the railway tracks are such a seperation, it'd be nice if they'd bury them, along with the gardiner, that'd be pretty sweet

LOL! The rails sounds like a quasi Red Light District, yet less glamorous.. More Jarvis, less Bloor.

Some blank slate projects work out but rarely. I believe this is not a cultural but a universal phenomenon.

I believe this is strictly a Toronto phenomenon. Lots of money trading hands down here with barely a thought for building attractive architecture or urban streetscape. Huge lost opportunity.

'Southcore' gets my vote....I like it....good marketing, imo....

Back