Take it with the appropriate grain of salt but newly-elected Ward 10 dude James Pasternak wrote on his Facebook page that:
"Extending the subway from Downsview Station to Yonge Street - along Sheppard Avenue - is now on the radar screen...Mayor is in favour and so is the local councillor. Now, lets get the province to help pay and lets start digging!"
And:
"I'm hoping for an economic statement of some sort before the end of the year. Clearly the province has to agree to convert LRT money into subway money. You may recall that Mel Lastman tried to promote this subway extension years ago. Its the natural link between the University-Spadina and Yonge lines."

Take it with the appropriate grain of salt but newly-elected Ward 10 dude James Pasternak wrote on his Facebook page that:
"Extending the subway from Downsview Station to Yonge Street - along Sheppard Avenue - is now on the radar screen...Mayor is in favour and so is the local councillor. Now, lets get the province to help pay and lets start digging!"
And:
"I'm hoping for an economic statement of some sort before the end of the year. Clearly the province has to agree to convert LRT money into subway money. You may recall that Mel Lastman tried to promote this subway extension years ago. Its the natural link between the University-Spadina and Yonge lines."

Good news that extending Sheppard to Downsview (soon-to-be again Sheppard West) is on their radar. That's one direction. Now let's finish the other direction too. Although I think this news should be in a Sheppard thread.

A while ago, when I was at York U, I noticed this new road in the bus terminal, connecting one side to the other. I assumed it was part of the subway project, but in the diagrams it doesn't show up anywhere! Does anyone know what this is for, and if it will stay after the subway is built?

Looking south from the north side of the York U Bus terminal. The future York U station would be in the field just to the left of the road.

attachment.php

A while ago, when I was at York U, I noticed this new road in the bus terminal, connecting one side to the other. I assumed it was part of the subway project, but in the diagrams it doesn't show up anywhere! Does anyone know what this is for, and if it will stay after the subway is built?

Looking south from the north side of the York U Bus terminal. The future York U station would be in the field just to the left of the road.

attachment.php

I'm guessing it's just a temporary road to store construction vehicles and equipment during station construction? Or it could just be an interim by-pass lane for buses....

Parts of York Blvd. and Ian MacDonald Blvd. are to shut down at various points of the station construction. That link will allow buses to access both sides of the Common.

Considering that York U has stated in no uncertain terms that they wish to have NO bus service on their property upon the completion of the subway, I would assume that the link will be removed shortly after the subway opening.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Look again at http://www3.ttc.ca/PDF/About_the_TT...ty_Station_Open-House_Presentation_Boards.pdf at pages 48, 54, 55, and 56 and you can see this road called "The Common Diversion" and the reasons why they had to build it.

Maybe someone can fill me in here, but the story says Aecon and its partners will only tunnel from Downsview to Finch. Is the tunneling contract being split into sections? Doesn't make sense to me to do so.

Contracts are being kept under $300M so that companies other than PCL can bid. If the entire thing was served up as a single contract, there is only one company that could afford to make a bid on it due to insurance and other obligations. Proof is that Aecon needed to form a partnership to make this bid because they didn't have the resources by themselves.

Also, this isn't just the tunnel, it includes at least one station. I think both Sheppard West (new Downsview) and Finch stations are included.

Last edited:
Contracts are being kept under $300M so that companies other than PCL can bid.

Total BS. Calgary recently tendered a billion dollar rapid transit contract and had 3 bidders. No need to do this piecemeal contracting other than keeping more bureaucrats employed.

Total BS. Calgary recently tendered a billion dollar rapid transit contract and had 3 bidders. No need to do this piecemeal contracting other than keeping more bureaucrats employed.

So you're saying they should tender the whole $2B thing in one shot to save money on bureaucrat overhead?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/aecon-wins-279-million-ttc-subway-deal/article1805705/

Maybe someone can fill me in here, but the story says Aecon and its partners will only tunnel from Downsview to Finch. Is the tunneling contract being split into sections? Doesn't make sense to me to do so.

Be prepared for cost overruns and delays as Aecon does not have a good track record in doing so in the first place.

Yes it been split into various contracts as it is not putting all your eggs in one basket.

I'm going to have to disagree on this sentiment. First of all with a single contractor if there are cost overruns the government has greater obligation to pay more because the cost of getting another company up to speed is too great. Secondly there are many good constructors that constantly under bid the big players on smaller value contracts that simply can't afford to bid on a $2B contract. Thirdly, why is an Engineer that works for the TTC a bureaucrat, but an Engineer that works for Aecon something "better"?

Back