Well played. The thing about a Brampton though, is that despite exponential growth, it holds on to it's suburban look. One wouldn't have to drive (their pickup truck...sorry I had to) more than 15 minutes to find themselves passing farmers fields. I was never trying to say that Main Street itself is rural - more like the retention of the name is a representation of its (up until the mid 20th century) rural image - not that they should change it - just stating the impression it gives to someone like me - granted I see Brampton a couple times a year passing by on the highway - I'm still an outsider to that area. "Downtown Brampton" (and I use that term lightly) is certainly not rural - but rural is minutes away.

Well played. The thing about a Brampton though, is that despite exponential growth, it holds on to it's suburban look. One wouldn't have to drive (their pickup truck...sorry I had to) more than 15 minutes to find themselves passing farmers fields. I was never trying to say that Main Street itself is rural - more like the retention of the name is a representation of its (up until the mid 20th century) rural image - not that they should change it - just stating the impression it gives to someone like me - granted I see Brampton a couple times a year passing by on the highway - I'm still an outsider to that area. "Downtown Brampton" (and I use that term lightly) is certainly not rural - but rural is minutes away.

Fair enough....but I think there are lot of places, with far more urban "images" that you could say "rural is minutes away".

I guess what irked me about your post that got us going on this was that what you said does not really line up very well with this clarifying post.

While you now say that the use of "Main Street" as a name is a representation of a rural image that, by your own description, ended 50+ years ago (I don't think it was that long, actually)....your original post said you "know" Brampton is rural because of the street name.

Like I said, I see nothing wrong with names reflecting on history of places (I think it is a long time since the west end of London England was, actually, battered by the sea) but to suggest that the name proves some sort of ruralism....is a bit irksome.

Actually I think it's Main Street there.

Yup. A short, easy-to-say name in an area built before the car. No excuse to use the highway number here. :)
Seriously though, I wonder why it's called "Main" rather than Hurontario. That would give the street more of a mystique. After all, it's called Hurontario in Collingwood. Kind of the way Yonge St. keeps it's name through Thornhill, Richmond Hill, Aurora, Newmarket, and Holland Landing.

Last edited:
how sad, they just built new curbs along steeles avenue last week, then today there was a crane smashing up the curb again, what a waste of money and time

Fair enough....but I think there are lot of places, with far more urban "images" that you could say "rural is minutes away".

I guess what irked me about your post that got us going on this was that what you said does not really line up very well with this clarifying post.

While you now say that the use of "Main Street" as a name is a representation of a rural image that, by your own description, ended 50+ years ago (I don't think it was that long, actually)....your original post said you "know" Brampton is rural because of the street name.

Like I said, I see nothing wrong with names reflecting on history of places (I think it is a long time since the west end of London England was, actually, battered by the sea) but to suggest that the name proves some sort of ruralism....is a bit irksome.

There used to be a Main Street in the Town of Weston (incorporated in 1881 as a village, and in 1914 as a town). It has been renamed Weston Road, which had that name outside of the town.

Last edited:

Battersea was actually an island ('Badrices ieg' = Badric's island) at the confluence of the Thames and another river that is now underground, but your point stands.

Vaughan Metropolitan Centre irks me to no end. The rest of the station names are logical and satisfactory.

Vaughan Metropolitan Centre irks me to no end. The rest of the station names are logical and satisfactory.

Agreed. It just seems like such an over-the-top macho thing to do. Here's a hint: if you feel the need to include 'Metropolitan' in your station name, you probably actually aren't.

Will probably end up getting shortened to VMC, Just like NYCC, MCC, STC, etc.

That's fine as a name for the area, but the TTC has a pretty well established naming convention for stations like that. Scarborough Centre Station, North York Centre Station, etc. They don't add the extra descriptor in there.

Back