That's really a bit of a stretch. Yes, the scenery is an advantage of taking a surface route, but it's not that the Bloor-Danforth line in particular is dull in comparison with the surface -- it's that underground travel in general is dull in comparison with the surface. It's exactly the same view of stations and tunnels every time (mostly tunnels!). I really doubt that Spadina line commuters find their ride stimulating and exciting because of the varied architecture while B-D commuters find their ride boring -- I'd say it's equally boring for both.

I actually find traveling on Spadina, and even Sheppard more enjoyable than B-D because of the station designs. The older stations feel boring, and claustrophobic compared to the larger, and nicer looking stations on the Spadina, and Sheppard lines.

Whenever I use Montreal's metro, I am always blown away by the amazing design of their stations. Hell, Paris' metro has numerous sites and books devoted to their metro. Contrary to belief, people do find enjoyment in a well-designed, and great looking transit station.

Last edited:
I actually find traveling on Spadina, and even Sheppard more enjoyable than B-D because of the station designs. The older stations feel boring, and claustrophobic compared to the larger, and nicer looking stations on the Spadina, and Sheppard lines.

signed,

toronto resident and committed, comprehensive subway user of 15 years. anyone that doesn't think it makes a difference is tripping.

signed,

toronto resident and committed, comprehensive subway user of 15 years. anyone that doesn't think it makes a difference is tripping.

To be clear, I was responding to junctionist's particular comment that the view out the train windows makes people dislike travelling on the Bloor-Danforth line more than other lines. Of course I agree that the B-D stations are often cramped, claustrophobic, and boring places to walk through, and that the Spadina and Sheppard stations are much more pleasant and desirable spaces to be in, and that it's certainly worthwhile for new stations to be beautiful. But once you're on the train itself, are these things actually noticeable anymore? If it's crowded you can barely see out the windows at all, and even when you can see out, you usually just see a small square of the platform wall, which is going to be boring regardless of how beautiful the station building itself is -- and on the new trains, the darkly tinted windows obscure most of the view anyway.

To be clear, I was responding to junctionist's particular comment that the view out the train windows makes people dislike travelling on the Bloor-Danforth line more than other lines. Of course I agree that the B-D stations are often cramped, claustrophobic, and boring places to walk through, and that the Spadina and Sheppard stations are much more pleasant and desirable spaces to be in, and that it's certainly worthwhile for new stations to be beautiful. But once you're on the train itself, are these things actually noticeable anymore? If it's crowded you can barely see out the windows at all, and even when you can see out, you usually just see a small square of the platform wall, which is going to be boring regardless of how beautiful the station building itself is -- and on the new trains, the darkly tinted windows obscure most of the view anyway.

I disagree. One of the things I like doing is when the train I'm on enters a station, looking at the art and the design of the station. Obviously the Spadina line is tops in this regard (although a lot of the stations look pretty retro now). With Bloor-Danforth though, the only thing you have to look at is "oh, what colour are the walls at this station?". It becomes very repetitive very quickly, and quite honestly it makes the trip seem longer, because you feel like you're seeing the same thing over and over again.

It doesn't even have to be a full station redesign, even doing something as simple as asking the community around the station to make a few art installations for it. I'm sure the Annex would love to have something at Spadina and Bathurst stations that really show off the neighbourhood. To me personally the best art installation of the TTC is at Leslie Station, with all of the different writings of "Sheppard & Leslie" on each tile. Not an overly complicated art installation in terms of design, but it adds a great touch. It also isn't very period artsy, so it's not going to look horribly dated in 20 years like a lot of the Spadina stations (which are still interesting, but let's face it, they scream 70s).

The good news is though the Spadina extension stations look very interesting, both outside and at platform level.

I disagree. One of the things I like doing is when the train I'm on enters a station, looking at the art and the design of the station. Obviously the Spadina line is tops in this regard (although a lot of the stations look pretty retro now). With Bloor-Danforth though, the only thing you have to look at is "oh, what colour are the walls at this station?". It becomes very repetitive very quickly, and quite honestly it makes the trip seem longer, because you feel like you're seeing the same thing over and over again.

It doesn't even have to be a full station redesign, even doing something as simple as asking the community around the station to make a few art installations for it. I'm sure the Annex would love to have something at Spadina and Bathurst stations that really show off the neighbourhood. To me personally the best art installation of the TTC is at Leslie Station, with all of the different writings of "Sheppard & Leslie" on each tile. Not an overly complicated art installation in terms of design, but it adds a great touch. It also isn't very period artsy, so it's not going to look horribly dated in 20 years like a lot of the Spadina stations (which are still interesting, but let's face it, they scream 70s).

The good news is though the Spadina extension stations look very interesting, both outside and at platform level.

First time I've ever heard anyone say they liked Leslie Station. To me it looks like a low-rent mausoleum; the tiles repeat themselves and at least one of those repeating tiles has "Sheppard" spelled wrong.

My favourite art on that line is the Yonge Street mosaic on the Sheppard level of Sheppard-Yonge Station.

To me it looks like a low-rent mausoleum; the tiles repeat themselves and at least one of those repeating tiles has "Sheppard" spelled wrong.

Do you understand the concept behind the artwork at the station? It appears from your comments that you don't, or at least you underestimate it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I sure like it better than any of the BD bathroom stations. Though the Leslie street exit seems rather cheap, give the concrete floors.

Exposed concrete seems to be a theme on the Sheppard line, given that the outside walls at platform level are nothing but exposed concrete.

Exposed concrete seems to be a theme on the Sheppard line, given that the outside walls at platform level are nothing but exposed concrete.
If done artistically - like in Montreal that's fine. Sheppard line just looks like it was done to save money - which is the case.

Do you understand the concept behind the artwork at the station? It appears from your comments that you don't, or at least you underestimate it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

You can often be awfully harsh with your comments, Dan. Of course I understand it. I just don't like it. It's "art" - of course people are supposed to have different opinions.

How often does anyone who regularly commutes on the Spadina line really notice Museum station anymore?

I notice it anew every morning, but that's mostly because I hate it. Every time I see it I get pissed off all over again at how badly done it is.

I don't mind Museum at all. It's thematic and it's easy for tourists to find their way around.

Back