I love that signage in NYC would love if we used it here. So much better. Don't know why we didn't steal that idea.

I love that signage in NYC would love if we used it here. So much better. Don't know why we didn't steal that idea.

The same reason we stuck with tokens while they've been using Metrocards since the early 1990s?

What's the last "cutting edge" or "best practice" or "innovative" thing TTC has done? I know and empathize with their financial situation etc. but there was a time other systems borrowed our ideas. I hadn't even really thought about how dumb the new signs are (they do look cool!) when it comes to effectively being non-upgradeable. Those subway cars are brand new. Surely having LED signs, like the New York ones, could have been done.

The complaints about the TR's maps are getting a little ridiculous. They're not updatable in the same way that practically every other sign on the TTC is non-updatable. Yes, updating the maps won't be as easy as removing a piece of paper. But just like every other sign on the TTC I'm sure that there is some way for it to be updated.

We might as well be complaining that all of the navigational signs on the TTC are't easily removable stickers.

NYCT Line Maps...and Metrocards replacing the NYC Transit Token...

The same reason we stuck with tokens while they've been using Metrocards since the early 1990s?

What's the last "cutting edge" or "best practice" or "innovative" thing TTC has done? I know and empathize with their financial situation etc. but there was a time other systems borrowed our ideas. I hadn't even really thought about how dumb the new signs are (they do look cool!) when it comes to effectively being non-upgradeable. Those subway cars are brand new. Surely having LED signs, like the New York ones, could have been done.

TJ: I agree with you here - the recent years NYC Transit electronic line maps are a good feature in the newer Subway car fleet...
These were first introduced in the car group assigned to the #7 Flushing Line and the drawback was they would only be used
on a "captive" car fleet assigned to one route...In recent years this technology is much improved and multiple lines can be set
up and programmed on the routes that these cars serve as needed...

As for the Metrocard - The Metrocard began to be used in 1994 in a group of around 125 equipped stations and at first sales
were slow - and as the MTA added incentive options - the first of those being a 25 cent weekend discount ($1 - regular fare at
that time $1.25) and over the next four to five years the NYCT System became fully equipped for Metrocard use...

The biggest Metrocard improvements took place in 1997 and 1998 respectively: First-the option of free transfers between buses
and subways...NYCT's fare policy up to that point was if you used both buses and subways a separate fare would be charged for
each mode...Paper transfers were offered for bus-to-bus riders and one entrance fare could get you to any Subway destination...

Second-the offering of unlimited use 30 day,7 day and a unlimited Day Pass (discontinued mid 2000s) for the first time boosted
Metrocard use...The NYCT Token was still sold but with no incentive options sales dropped dramatically and finally in mid 2003
when the NYCT fare was raised from $1.50 to $2 token sales ended and for the rest of that year NYCT tokens were only valid
as cash fares on buses with a 50 cent coin drop to equal $2. NYC Transit sold/used tokens for exactly 50 years 1953-2003 and
it took 9 years total for the Metrocard to replace the token...I will add that the Roosevelt Island Tram was the last NYCT token
holdout and token use on this service was replaced by Metrocards in the spring of 2004...

I feel that many TTC riders use the token option because they are basically good until they are used and for the TTC they can be
resold and used again and again indefinitely but with the troubles in recent years with token counterfeiting I fully understood the
change to a new "security token" but what surprised me was keeping the small almost dime size as the older tokens...

In closing it takes time to gradually change a transit system's fare collection methods - in that way change can be good (no pun
intended) and incentives for regular transit riders really do work...

LI MIKE

The complaints about the TR's maps are getting a little ridiculous. They're not updatable in the same way that practically every other sign on the TTC is non-updatable. Yes, updating the maps won't be as easy as removing a piece of paper. But just like every other sign on the TTC I'm sure that there is some way for it to be updated.

We might as well be complaining that all of the navigational signs on the TTC are't easily removable stickers.

I don't think it's a huge deal. Heck, maybe those signs are only like $100 to replace for all I know. But given that a new line was already in the works and several others in the planning stages when the new cars were designed you'd think they'd have gone for something more flexible and looked at other technology (like the LED signs). So, not a huge deal but another small example of the TTC not really getting out in front of things, IMHO.

I don't think it's a huge deal. Heck, maybe those signs are only like $100 to replace for all I know. But given that a new line was already in the works and several others in the planning stages when the new cars were designed you'd think they'd have gone for something more flexible and looked at other technology (like the LED signs). So, not a huge deal but another small example of the TTC not really getting out in front of things, IMHO.

They don't really need to move any of the lightbulbs. It looks like the map is ready to support the Vaughan extension. Look at the holes to the north of Downsview. They holes (and likely the circuitry) are already there, they just need to install the bulbs and update the paper map.

8662394716_2fb310c00d_c.jpg

Attachments

• 8662394716_2fb310c00d_c.jpg
    8662394716_2fb310c00d_c.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 750
They don't really need to move any of the lightbulbs. It looks like the map is ready to support the Vaughan extension. Look at the holes to the north of Downsview. They holes (and likely the circuitry) are already there, they just need to install the bulbs and update the paper map.

View attachment 32406

perhaps the bulbs are already in place?

Yeah, these maps will only really be out of date once the Richmond Hill extension is done, and that's a long way out.

Eglinton will be drawn on in 2021, but it doesn't really need the LEDs.
Similarly, the DRL could be drawn on, without LEDs.
It's only a minor cosmetic issue, unless this train is actually running on the line with the LEDs.

Also the T1's maps will have to be changed. Maybe they'll produce another poster like what they have now, or put in one of these LED versions instead.

Are LCD screens that expensive? Panels with lights seem so dated.
It's not the part
It's the Labour
They've gone 1 direction.
To take another would cost them big time because they need to pay union workers to install and going by the track record it's not going to be cheap...

Sadly the naming convention doesn't seem to work that way: at Bloor-Yonge and Sheppard-Yonge, the east-west name seems to come before the north-south.

Not Always
Yonge-Dundas (Square)
Yonge-Eglinton (Centre)

Eglinton Crosstown shows the station at Yonge and Eglinton as still called Eglinton, but I'm doubting that will stay once the Crosstown is fully built.

Not Always
Yonge-Dundas (Square)
Yonge-Eglinton (Centre)

Eglinton Crosstown shows the station at Yonge and Eglinton as still called Eglinton, but I'm doubting that will stay once the Crosstown is fully built.

I think MrsNesbitt is referring to subway stations and not structures

Back