1. TTC outsourced almost all of its Project Management on this to outside firms from the beginning...Hatch MottMacDonald/MMM Group/Delcan (Project/Program Management), Morrison Herschfield (Construction Management) and Stantec (Project Controls). The "TTC ongoing costs" are the costs for these existing consultants.
2. The articles last week suggested $400M over. This $150-$185M is ONLY for project management to finish the project. We've still got probably at least a couple of hundred $M in claims to come. The report itself noted that the claims issue has yet to be dealt with.

All in this will crest $3B when the dust settles.

1. TTC outsourced almost all of its Project Management on this to outside firms from the beginning...Hatch MottMacDonald/MMM Group/Delcan (Project/Program Management), Morrison Herschfield (Construction Management) and Stantec (Project Controls). The "TTC ongoing costs" are the costs for these existing consultants.
2. The articles last week suggested $400M over. This $150-$185M is ONLY for project management to finish the project. We've still got probably at least a couple of hundred $M in claims to come. The report itself noted that the claims issue has yet to be dealt with.

All in this will crest $3B when the dust settles.
What are these claims for? And if TTC did outsource most of the project management to outside firms, then is it still the TTC's fault? What is another sole source contract for project management going to accomplish?

Claims are likely for a whole bunch of things from the construction contractors...overhead from delays caused by the TTC (or things that are the responsibility of the TTC), scope changes TTC doesn't claim are scope changes, etc.

It's the TTC's fault depending on how the contracts were set up. If there weren't any incentives/disincentives related to cost/scope/schedule, then there's no fault on the consultants. Probably the reason this report says the new PM will have incentives.

Last edited:
I thought a couple of weeks ago reports were the project was going to cost $400 or $450 million or more but now the TTC is saying approx $180M depending on which option they take?

What figures are we to believe? How did it go from $400-450M to $180M approx?
There was no report that said $400 to $450 million. That was a media report which also got other numbers very wrong - such as the claim that the entire 8+ km extension to Vaughan had originally ballooned from $1.5 billion. (in fact, the $1.5 billion was only for the extension to Steeles, making the 5th estate's ballooning being nothing but the inflation that was predicted from day 1!

I do not believe any of these figures or estimates.
Why not? They make more sense than those the media made up.

This is disaster.
In what way is a $150 million cost-overrun on a 9-year old estimate a disaster? That's less than 6%.

All I keep thinking about is $1B figure, like everything else in this province from the gas plant cancellation, ehealth, ornge, etc
What $1 billion figure are you talking about?

Last edited:
The 150 is just the cost of sole sourcing it to a third party group. There are other claims which have yet to be determined which will most likely shoot up the final tally.

There was no report that said $400 to $450 million. That was a media report which also got other numbers very wrong - such as the claim that the entire 8+ km extension to Vaughan had originally ballooned from $1.5 billion. (in fact, the $1.5 billion was only for the extension to Steeles, making the 5th estate's ballooning being nothing but the inflation that was predicted from day 1!

In what way is a $150 million cost-overrun on a 9-year old estimate a disaster? That's less than 6%.

It was a metaphor - the waste of money in this province that always see the word billion follow the $

The 150 is just the cost of sole sourcing it to a third party group. There are other claims which have yet to be determined which will most likely shoot up the final tally.
The sole sourcing is $80 million according to the report, not $150 million.

But yes, claims are not yet known, and won't be for another year or so. Could go up ... could go down (though probably not ...).

The sole sourcing is $80 million according to the report, not $150 million.

But yes, claims are not yet known, and won't be for another year or so. Could go up ... could go down (though probably not ...).
I meant 150M overall for the particular option

All I keep thinking about is $1B figure, like everything else in this province from the gas plant cancellation, ehealth, ornge, etc

Exactly Palma and Adjei. Nfitz read between the lines for once. The 150 million is just the tip of the iceberg. And for an extension that won't make any money north of Finch. Ridiculous.

Exactly Palma and Adjei. Nfitz read between the lines for once. The 150 million is just the tip of the iceberg. And for an extension that won't make any money north of Finch. Ridiculous.
It's ridiculous to be tossing a $1 billion number around.

It's also ridiculous that once again, the province aren't picking up their share of this.

And ridiculous to think that any subway line is making money!

It's ridiculous to be tossing a $1 billion number around.

It's also ridiculous that once again, the province aren't picking up their share of this.

And ridiculous to think that any subway line is making money!

And why should they? The city could have said no to provincial funding and built something much shorter. The mismanagement is on the city. And rightfully so. GenerationW has it right to criticize the city in these instances. This situation is just indicative of why we can't get anything done.

It isn't just public projects that go overbudget or miss deadlines. I've seen it with housing or condo developments, many times.
I find it hard to remember the last construction project that I've worked on that didn't struggle with both. Doesn't matter if it's public or private.

The fact that the tender was delayed by 18 months, and the final completion date never changed, is exactly why every project is "behind schedule". This happens all the bloody time, and for other reasons too. Look at York University station, construction was halted there for months. I guarantee that the schedule was never adjusted for that, and people are expected to "make it up". Well sure, easy to say, but "make it up" costs money. On a project of this scale, a delay of 18-months is a huge, huge cost overrun because of inflation.

And this doesn't only happen on public projects. I recently worked on a private commercial site, which endured a 2-month shutdown, and the scheduled completion date never changed at all.

Last edited:

Back