Why can't the province use the 1.4 billion it is contributing and get started.

That is exactly what is currently quietly happening behind the scenes right now. Some initial construction started this week, but no official announcements will be made until the fed funding is released.

Has the plans for the Spadina Subway extension been changed to have a seamless transfer with the Finch West LRT?

I hope that it is not an off-road transfer. I would prefer a center road platform similar to the old Bloor streetcar transfer platform. However, since the LRT's will have doors on both sides, a shared center platform could be used to allow for use of shared escalators, elevators, and stairs. The old Bloor streetcar transfer did not have escalators, just stairs.

fo1567%5Cser648%5Cs0648_fl0077_id0002.jpg

fo1567%5Cser648%5Cs0648_fl0077_id0003.jpg

fo1567%5Cser648%5Cs0648_fl0077_id0004.jpg
ser381%5Cs0381_fl0291_id11718-1.jpg
ser381%5Cs0381_fl0291_id11718-2.jpg
ser381%5Cs0381_fl0321_id13171-15.jpg
ser381%5Cs0381_fl0321_id13171-16.jpg
ser381%5Cs0381_fl0321_id13171-17.jpg
ser381%5Cs0381_fl0321_id13171-18.jpg

I think this type of transfer between the two rapid transit lines is preferrable to the off-road transfer, and save time as well.

There might be a few routes using the bus terminal at Keele and Finch, depending on what service is run.

I would expect a route to continue to serve the LePage/St. Regis area because the 107 already runs through there, except with the subway extension, I doubt the 107 would run to Downsview, and perhaps taken over by YRT. Then there's the 41. Would it terminate at Finch, or would it be one of 2-3 routes that are supposed to continue to run into York U itself?

Depending on the revised routing, you might be forcing a difficult transfer from bus to LRT, even if buses only serve the street outside the fare paid area, like at Dufferin or Lansdowne, with a set up like at Bloor and Yonge. Remember, there were almost no bus services there (only an infrequent Rosedale-Wellesley or Downtown bus) during that era for transfers.

The Finch West EAs should be starting soon. I guess we will see then.

I've been lurking for a while, so i thought i should indulge. How about the following option for the Spadina Extension. Making it an extension of the Sheppard Subway instead of the YUS line. This would prevent the line from getting too long, making it more manageable, it might lower cost since the stations can be built smaller (4 cars), and it could lead to a future YUS line loop.

Attachments

• SheppardSubway.jpg
    SheppardSubway.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 238
It's definitely an idea with some merit, but one of the many benefits of the Spadina extension is the equalization of traffic on the two branches of the YUS line. If people had to transfer to the Spadina line, many would opt to continue east to Yonge, which is already pretty crowded.

I'm definitely all for those old Bloor-Yonge style transfer platforms. I wish they'd try them at some of the other streetcar/subway interchanges downtown. Somebody on here must know... why was Bloor the only one built?

Those are good pictures, W.K. Lis, thanks for posting them. I had never realized how that intersection had changed when the streetcar platforms were built. It's interesting how much it has changed since, not always for the better (Hudson Bay Centre). Perhaps not many intersections are so "unrecognizable" now from what they were as recently as the 60s.

I've been lurking for a while, so i thought i should indulge. How about the following option for the Spadina Extension. Making it an extension of the Sheppard Subway instead of the YUS line. This would prevent the line from getting too long, making it more manageable, it might lower cost since the stations can be built smaller (4 cars), and it could lead to a future YUS line loop.

I think both the Spadina line and Sheppard line should share that extension of the subway, running half the number of cars up it from each line of course.

It would prompt many people to board the Sheppard Subway, to travel eastward across the top of the city, and make the line more used.

Besides the TTC doesn't plan on having all trains on the Spadina line go up to VCC anyway.

Those are good pictures, W.K. Lis, thanks for posting them. I had never realized how that intersection had changed when the streetcar platforms were built. It's interesting how much it has changed since, not always for the better (Hudson Bay Centre). Perhaps not many intersections are so "unrecognizable" now from what they were as recently as the 60s.

The construction in the photos were pre-1954.

I find it interesting that for the price of one apartment at One Bloor East, you could have bought the whole south-east block at Bloor and Yonge in 1950! I wonder what some of the property around Finch and Keele are going for now? There would be some who wouldn't want the noise and crowds that the construction would bring, and who don't look long term. Just like the SOS people on St. Clair, especially with the price of oil doubling.

Wouldn't those old-style transfer stations only work if the tunnel was pretty near the surface? No one likes transfers that involve a hundred stairs.

It's an option that hasn't been talked about much on this forum. It's a decent option, but I agree with unimaginative2 that it may not shift as many people to the Spadina line...I think the Spadina corridor naturally wants to be extended north of Downsview. If extended that far, the Sheppard would definitely need 6-car trains, so it wouldn't be any cheaper (4-car platforms only have marginal cost savings, anyway).

I think that the YUS loop only makes sense in the context of some plans...where would you loop it? If Sheppard ran over to York, the only other place for the Spadina line to go is up Bathurst (and there's a half dozen possible ways to get over to Yonge from Bathurst), and the Yonge line wouldn't be able to reach Richmond Hill (not that it *must* go that far, but loops prevent all possibility of extensions).

I don't know if this has already been broughten up, but what the hell is with the names on this extension? The ones in North York make sense (although I'm getting tired of the whole "x West" thing), but once you cross over into Vaughan it just gets ridiculous.

"407 Transitway" - what does that even mean? There's something about it that doesn't sound right to me. I think just "Transitway" sounds better. It doesn't advertize a privatized road I guess - let the people who run the highway build the station and then they can get it named after them. Or call it "Beechwood-Transitway" - it sounds nicer and includes the name of the most interesting thing that area has going for it.

Similarly "Vaughan Corporate Centre" sounds awful. If the City of Vaughan wants to make this a "real downtown", they're going to have to try harder. No one wants to live in a place called a "Corporate Centre", and if you're not going to get people living there it won't be a real downtown. Just call it "Vaughan Centre" or "Vaughan City Centre." I'm hoping it'll look more like the plans for Downtown Markham, but I'm not holding my breath.

Back