If there's any doubt about the viability of the Downsview Park Station, here's what will surround it within the next 10 years:

renwilliambakernorth.jpeg

Downsview Park is one of the last large parcels of land Toronto has left that can be developed upon. Definitely worthy of a stop.

What about the other airfields around Toronto?

Airfields-1.png

aerodromemap1918.jpg

220px-Long_branch_Aerodrome_1916.jpg
Long Branch Aerodrome.

See link.

BTW. Here's how Malton Airport (now Pearson International Airport) used to look like, with all that empty space surrounding it . (And there's people complaining about the noise after they move in?)
malton-airport-11.jpg

If there's any doubt about the viability of the Downsview Park Station, here's what will surround it within the next 10 years:
Downsview Park is one of the last large parcels of land Toronto has left that can be developed upon. Definitely worthy of a stop.

Is that picture from 1985? :)
Not that I doubt Downsview's potential but it's amazing how long they've been talking about it and producing pictures like that. It used to be a "race" between that and the waterfront but with the East Bayfront and Canary District, it's Downsview that really seems to be lagging.

The first midrise condos in the area seem to be moving forward, and there are a lot of towns and stacked towns under construction right now in the further south portion.

What wasn't the justification for Downsview Park Station? There's nothing there other than Downsview Park, no major connecting routes, and it's only about a 5 minute ride to Sheppard West Station. Seems like a huge waste of $200 Million.
sheppard west should have been at keele st. At least then its perhaps a 10 min ride

As impressive as it is, all those details make it kind of ugly not as portable as other large systems. The map is HUGE in person. You have to unfold it at least 3-4 times before opening the rest up accordion style to see the full system. It's literally the size of a poster when fully open. When I visit I rip off everything except mid-town and lower Manhattan with part of Brooklyn. Even after that, it still has to be folded a few times to fit in my pocket. This is also due to the size they decided to print it

The London Underground map on the other hand is incredibly small for the size of the system but still very easy to read in person. As far as I know, NYC is the only map that is poster size when unfolded. All of the other large subway system maps that I've seen are generally 8.5"x11"ish or smaller.

Comparing the size of the NYC (422 stations) to London on the left (270) and Paris above (302) maps.

View attachment 85269

Thanks for this comparison. I'm also not a big fan of NYC's subway map, and wouldn't be surprised if they went with a retooling that made it more schematic-like and less geographically accurate. I recall seeing one amateur presentation that used DC's style and thought it looked pretty good.

The first midrise condos in the area seem to be moving forward, and there are a lot of towns and stacked towns under construction right now in the further south portion.

The area that comprises the Downsview lands is literally all over the map with several neighbourhoods/precincts, but on top of the southern edge I believe there's also an aviation campus (U of T?) being built at the former museum. Or at least was supposed to be. I recall awhile back the feds kicking in money to jumpstart an aerospace job hub there.

They've begun to carve the station names onto the walls. From Twitter:
upload_2016-9-20_7-59-48.png

It's nice that they're not just hanging up signs like on Sheppard, but I'm annoyed that they're going with bare concrete again.

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-20_7-59-48.png
    upload_2016-9-20_7-59-48.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 673
Last edited:
I kind of like it, especially with the station name carved into it. Austere and noble.

(Though that effect likely won't remain once all the other station fittings are in place, and it'll wind up just looking slapdash.)

Last edited:
Yep, unfortunately. They should just paint it black and have backlit ads behind it instead.

AoD

Not according to the approved finishes renderings, if they're anything to go by.

PplFVpo.png

I believe painting the name on the concrete base wall is consistent with practice at other stations. You could see yellow painted letters at Wellesley when they cut the walls open for ad boards.

Not according to the approved finishes renderings, if they're anything to go by.

I believe painting the name on the concrete base wall is consistent with practice at other stations. You could see yellow painted letters at Wellesley when they cut the walls open for ad boards.

Oh I know it isn't going to happen - I am just saying maybe that's what they should be doing.

AoD

I kind of like it, especially with the station name carved into it. Austere and noble.

(Th0ugh that effect likely won't remain once all the other station fittings are in place, and it'll wind up just looking slapdash.)

It will age badly - and unlike tiles, good luck cleaning concrete well (wait till the water stains and fuzz starts showing). I don't really get their rationale - considering the amount of money they spent on architecture

AoD

Last edited:
It will age badly - and unlike tiles, good luck cleaning concrete well (wait till the water stains and fuzz starts showing). I don't really get their rationale - considering the amount of money they spent on architecture

AoD
Agreed, considering they spent hundreds of millions per station, at least spend a few more dollars on actual quality fittings and signage. This looks like an "oops we forgot" or "damn we ran out of money" type of hack job.

Back