you know what would be cool? a subway station designed to look like a cave.

they can use shotcrete:

Shotcrete-Robot.png

probably wouldn't cost much either.

Like this?

11026217oa2.jpg

Last edited:
But why don't we look to Montreal? They have great subway architecture there, which makes it actually a joy to spend a bit of time in most of their subway stations.

One good thing about the Montreal Metro is that all the station designs are done by local architects, and art is provided by local artists. The TTC could do likewise to nurture a generation of Toronto architects who will gain experience in designing transit-friendly projects.

We can always give a few thousand dollars to a budding local artist to decorate the station if we really care about aesthetics.

Yes, because we all know how capable some locals are when it comes to designing subway stations. Museum for example..... oh wait, maybe we're not.

It's nice to see the TTC step up and want these new stations to be a little more special than average. Lets just hope the TTC and the contractors complete the stations as designed.

We do have a lot of talented local firms, and Jack Diamond can come up with more than Museum station.

Heck, a Toronto firm designed Downsview.

I just hope they choose a better colour palette than the Sheppard line because I would love to know what they were thinking with Don Mills station. I think my worry about using local shops is that the ttc would probably be more inclined to push them around to get some ttc design choices worked through. With these larger firms, they might be able to push back on many bad design directions, which i'm sure the ttc would come up with.

Last edited:
I expect one of the big international architectural firms to walk away from the project after dealing with the TTC citing "irreconcilable differences". From what Chuck has told us, dealing with the meddlesome antics of the TTC is about as much fun as traveling with your backseat driving mother-in-law across the Rockies in a snowstorm.

Each of those firms is the lead architect but each of them is working with a Toronto firm as well. Presumably they'll be the ones who have to put with the TTC's insanity.

The TTC's insanity affects everyone working on the project, as it typically manifests itself in the form of project specifications and contractual requirements. Everyone from the general contractor and lead designer right down to the very last subtrade is exposed.

Find it funny how not one of the world leading streetcar manufacturers could demonstrate that their product meets TTC requirements?

Cut the extension in half to Steeles ala Sheppard mike harris style.

Economic downturn my friends. Deficits are coming.

The TTC's insanity affects everyone working on the project, as it typically manifests itself in the form of project specifications and contractual requirements. Everyone from the general contractor and lead designer right down to the very last subtrade is exposed.

Find it funny how not one of the world leading streetcar manufacturers could demonstrate that their product meets TTC requirements?

Alstom was prepared to send a prototype in 2007 that met most of TTC requirements back in 2005 even before knowing TTC spec and using an off the shelf model.

Back