Why nitpick over stuff like a pocket track when there's something like 48 bus bays in those station designs to criticize...they are obsolete designs, of course, but that 48 doesn't even include the Vaughan Corporate MegaCentre Superstation, which will surely have a sea of bus bays to the horizon, too.

The last design I remember seeing for the Vaughan station had no bus bays, but the 407 station did.

Why nitpick over stuff like a pocket track when there's something like 48 bus bays in those station designs to criticize...they are obsolete designs, of course, but that 48 doesn't even include the Vaughan Corporate MegaCentre Superstation, which will surely have a sea of bus bays to the horizon, too.

VCC station will not have any bus bays. All bus to subway transfers will be made on street.

The transfer at Dufferin is on-street, and you have to show a transfer, so that's annoying, but it's more cost-effective I guess. I don't mind bus bays as long as it's not hugely overbuilt

Correction to what Woodbridge Heights said: The bus transfers will only be on-street at the start.

They've been having trouble coming up with a VCC design - they spent a lot of time trying to figure out whether/how to do bus bays above or below ground.

I believe they decided on ABOVE ground with the bays located on Millway (just to the north, I think). They're still trying to figure out how close they can make it to the station box etc.

From last month's rapid transit board report:
"The YRT bus facility at VMC station will be developed using a phased approach. YRRTC and City of Vaughan staff developed a preferred strategy to protect of [sic] the ultimate YRT terminal, which is not affordable under the current project budget.
Phase 1 of the strategy will employ an on-street approach for YRT buses as was envisioned in the Environmental Assessment."

Then there's more about making sure the subway/YRT facilities are connected and they may need more money.

Oh - and don't forget, it's VMC now!

Correction to what Woodbridge Heights said: The bus transfers will only be on-street at the start.

They've been having trouble coming up with a VCC design - they spent a lot of time trying to figure out whether/how to do bus bays above or below ground.

I believe they decided on ABOVE ground with the bays located on Millway (just to the north, I think). They're still trying to figure out how close they can make it to the station box etc.

"The YRT bus facility at VMC station will be developed using a phased approach. YRRTC and City of Vaughan staff developed a preferred strategy to protect of [sic] the ultimate YRT terminal, which is not affordable under the current project budget.
Phase 1 of the strategy will employ an on-street approach for YRT buses as was envisioned in the Environmental Assessment."

Then there's more about making sure the subway/YRT facilities are connected and they may need more money.

Here's hoping they won't make those bus bays too big. They should also be ready to come down for some sort of on-street transfer when VMC gets built up. The big terminal could be at 407 transitway station instead, with busses passing by VMC station instead of terminating there. That'd free up a lot of space that a terminal would use, instead to be used for more buildings?

Last edited:
Vaughan Metropolitan Centre

Thats the last thing I would have through of.

Anyway, its reasonable to have routes that would otherwise terminate at VMC to continue to 407 station and terminate at the bus bays there.

There won't be a fare-paid zone anyway, so it won't be a huge loss to have an on street 'transit mall' or whatever with quick access down to the concourse.

There won't be a fare-paid zone anyway, so it won't be a huge loss to have an on street 'transit mall' or whatever with quick access down to the concourse.

Exactly. I'm surprised nobody had mentioned this earlier... at least barring some kind of dramatic change in terms of fare integration region-wide, people exiting the subway at V-*cough*-MC will need to pay a fresh fare to hop aboard a YRT/Viva bus and vice versa. A huge rationale for a bus terminal inside the fare line thereby evaporates.

Really, I hadn't heard that...

It seemed in the initial planning documents that the majority of the future bus routes would terminate at 407 or Steeles west station thus eliminating the need for a bus terminal to serve as a (redundantly :D) terminal for a number of bus routes. Even if a bus terminal is planned I would hope that it could be incorporated into a future building as an underground station, similar to the situation at York mills or St. Clair West.

+1 as well to Platform 27's remark about the lack of need for a fare paid zone and it's impact in lessening the need for a bus terminal.

bus bay size

Yeah, overbuilt bus areas suck. Then again, look at Kipling. The Rockets leave from the garbage area...

Might having a twenty-five year plan for your transport network help reduce the number of misjudged transit hubs? Depends on the faith we have in transit planners and politicians to stick to a plan. That's why the Big Move is such an anomaly for the GTA...

Back