diglett.gif

:)

Spadina Extension Beyond Hwy 7?

In this current election season, at least one Vaughan politician--Local and Regional Councillor Joyce Frustaglio--is pushing the idea of extending the subway line north from Highway 7 (sorry, Avenue Seven) to Major Mackenzie. A route continuing due north from the Vaughan Centre terminus would hit Vaughan Mills, Canada's Wonderland and the site of the new Vaughan Hospital. Anyone think this one has legs?

Sorry, no opinion on the tunneling machines...

A route continuing due north from the Vaughan Centre terminus would hit Vaughan Mills, Canada's Wonderland and the site of the new Vaughan Hospital. Anyone think this one has legs?

Yes, with the same timeframe as it took for York U to go from initial proposal being talked about to implementation.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a subway to the current grounds of Canada's Wonderland in 2060.

In this current election season, at least one Vaughan politician--Local and Regional Councillor Joyce Frustaglio--is pushing the idea of extending the subway line north from Highway 7 (sorry, Avenue Seven) to Major Mackenzie. A route continuing due north from the Vaughan Centre terminus would hit Vaughan Mills, Canada's Wonderland and the site of the new Vaughan Hospital. Anyone think this one has legs?

Subway? No. LRT? Yes. In the new York Region Official Plan Jane Street has been identified as a Regional Rapid Transit Corridor. York Region has looked at having (presumably) Transit City style LRT on Jane Street as an extension of the TC Jane Street Line, or a new line extending from the subway terminus. The draft Vaughan Official Plan from April 2010 showed the subway to Major Mackenzie (as Councilor Frustaglio suggests) but the Region had the City remove it from their Plan.

In other news, there has been a lot of earth moving and digging around the area of the future Transitway station (just south of the 407). I am not sure if it is related to the TYSSE, but after getting a closer view driving by yesterday, I think it might be related to the extension.

From http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Pr...ced_Contracts/Notice_5_407_Enabling_Works.jsp :

"Work includes building a new six (6) lane clear span bridge, access roads, traffic signals, stormwater management pond, watermains, the relocation of utilities, and the realignment of a portion of Black Creek. The construction site is located south of Highway 407 and west of Jane Street. Construction of the enabling works for the future Highway 407 Subway Station is expected to be completed in July 2011."

EDIT:
From http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Pr...tracts/Highway_407_Advance_Enabling_Works.jsp :

"Construction began in July on the advanced construction of enabling works for Highway 407 Subway Station. The construction progress to date includes:

•Sanitary sewer relocation 90% complete
•Watermain 50% complete
•North entrance and Jane Street widening 60% complete -Stormwater management pond 40% complete
•East abutment of bridge over Black Creek started"

Last edited:

Sorry, no opinion on the tunneling machines...

I reported this a few weeks ago. I think that the subway extension to Major Mackenzie if at all possible will be long in the future

Back