I can’t wait until the construction crews no longer occupy the curb lane and sidewalk on Jarvis between King and Front Streets. It’s been a pain for everyone for the last four years.
Yes, if this had been a private development I bet the City would have insisted on the covered passageway being maintained!

From this morning (July 6)

20230706_093729.jpg

Now that they have blown 'earth' onto the roof do they have to add some irrigation (which they MAY be doing today, it's hard to tell what they are doing) and do plants get grown from seed (already in the earth?) or are they all planted by hand?

I am now tempted to request they leave a small heard of sheep up there for the green roof grass trimming when all is said and done...

(Fun fact: My dad did this as an alternative to lawn mowing our acre plus lawn back in the day. Though it was short lived...as the town we where living in complained unsurprisingly when said ungulates unintentionally got out periodically. Goodness those where the days... 🙀)

I am now tempted to request they leave a small heard of sheep up there for the green roof grass trimming when all is said and done...

(Fun fact: My dad did this as an alternative to lawn mowing our acre plus lawn back in the day. Though it was short lived...as the town we where living in complained unsurprisingly when said ungulates unintentionally got out periodically. Goodness those where the days... 🙀)
That's one of my highly-unlikely dream jobs: urban shepherd.

Now that they have blown 'earth' onto the roof do they have to add some irrigation (which they MAY be doing today, it's hard to tell what they are doing) and do plants get grown from seed (already in the earth?) or are they all planted by hand?

Heating it like Lambeau Field or watering as DSC suggested. I guess you wouldn’t heat a green roof……unless you wanted it green all year. :)

E7539310-B0C5-42CC-B4C0-F380B4B91EEA.jpeg

D39E6A6E-1B53-4B9D-8AC3-8571B7681436.jpeg

Maybe a silly question but how are they preventing all that soil from blowing away before the plants take root?

Maybe a silly question but how are they preventing all that soil from blowing away before the plants take root?
I’m assuming probably just plenty of water. There seems to be more than sufficient amount of irrigation there. And presumably it won’t be bare for too long.

I agree with @zang that water may be the answer to the 'blowing soil' question BUT, I still wonder if the plants will be planted individually or if the seeds are already in the blown soil and with water added we will have natural germination in front of our eyes.

I’m wondering how they will keep the soil from washing away on a sloped roof. While I’d love to see more greenery downtown (eg, Love Park) it seems like an awful lot of work and expense to get this implemented especially when it will barely be visible from street level. What will be visible though are the ugly mechanical contraptions.

I’m wondering how they will keep the soil from washing away on a sloped roof. While I’d love to see more greenery downtown (eg, Love Park) it seems like an awful lot of work and expense to get this implemented especially when it will barely be visible from street level. What will be visible though are the ugly mechanical contraptions.
The green roof is NOT there to look nice (though it will, if you can see it.) Green roof are installed to act as insulation and to soak up heavy rain and avoid over-loading the drains. That new fangled internet thingy says:

The benefits of green roofs
  • Improve the drainage system. Sustainable drainage is an important component of any building, as a way to counter flooding in the event of excess rainfall. ...
  • Increase the lifespan of the roof. ...
  • Boosting thermal performance. ...
  • Helping out the environment. ...
  • Supporting wildlife habitats. ...
  • Aiding air quality.

I agree with @zang that water may be the answer to the 'blowing soil' question BUT, I still wonder if the plants will be planted individually or if the seeds are already in the blown soil and with water added we will have natural germination in front of our eyes.

Planting individually would be a pain in the arse, given that not every seedling will take and will require a lot of maintenance in the beginning.

I’m assuming whatever it will be will probably be on some kind of support layer given it’s not a flat surface and there’s a chance of slippage.

So, I’m gonna put my money on sod-like rolls of a simple and sturdy ground cover like creeping thyme. Easy to put up, low maintenance, serves the purpose.

Ideally, I’d love to see a patterned mix of colourful flowering ground covers. Make it look good, not just eco-friendly.

The green roof is NOT there to look nice (though it will, if you can see it.) Green roof are installed to act as insulation and to soak up heavy rain and avoid over-loading the drains. That new fangled internet thingy says:

The benefits of green roofs
  • Improve the drainage system. Sustainable drainage is an important component of any building, as a way to counter flooding in the event of excess rainfall. ...
  • Increase the lifespan of the roof. ...
  • Boosting thermal performance. ...
  • Helping out the environment. ...
  • Supporting wildlife habitats. ...
  • Aiding air quality.
Lawn bowling optional? 😼

I suspect this (poorly described) crane hoist may be to bring greenery to the roof.

Jarvis St from market St to Front St E​

Closure Type:Hazard

Time Frame:Daily
Until:July 9, 2023
Hours:7:00 am to 7:00 pm

Severity Impact:MajorRoad

Class:Major Arterial

District:Toronto and East York

Contractor:Modern Crane

Description:Toronto-TMC:

Occupying all direction due to crane hoisting material to rooftop

Back