I anticipate seeing what Jonathan Speirs and Michael Snow come up with in terms of lighting.

Also, Trump's proportions should make it much more elegant than the BNI City Tower, which was designed by the same firm, with a quarter-onion on top:

That was a really great article. I'm so very tired, but managed to read the entire thing, without losing my attention. Very well written.

You thought so? I thought it was a bit ridiculous that she was complaining that Toronto's Trump tower is less garish and gaudy than his other buildings. I see that as a good thing. I also thought is was funny that the only thing she likes about the tower is the onion-shaped hat on top, which I think is the worst feature of the design.

You thought so? I thought it was a bit ridiculous that she was complaining that Toronto's Trump tower is less garish and gaudy than his other buildings. I see that as a good thing. I also thought is was funny that the only thing she likes about the tower is the onion-shaped hat on top, which I think is the worst feature of the design.

Oh I don't necessarily agree with the article, I just think it was well written.

it sure was a great article... I think she makes a good point about the fact of such a small floorplate having to dedicate so much of its ground level to delivery and vehicle access when ideally that functionality should be out of sight of visitors and passersby.

again, this all feeds my confusion about why this particular small site was chosen and density guidelines were tossed out to accomodate the project. I still think Trump would have been much more at home in Yorkville.

anyways it will still be fun to watch this start rising and the density will be crazy to see in reality...

I agree with that, buildings are built tall and in tight spaces in NY more often than we're used to in Toronto. If this were in Manhattan, it wouldn't seem too radically different to build 900 feet on such a small site. As for location, Trump strikes me as being far more inline with the Bay Street business crowd than Yorkville. I can see the hotel being very popular and convenient for wealthy business travelers.

Sometimes, I suppose, what's worse than the tasteless is when the tasteless tries to be "tasteful". Maybe that's the operating logic here.

once again lisa rochon doesn't have a clue what she's talking about...at least as far as i am concerned.
trump new york is not that vulgar or even interesting. it looks like scotiabank only shorter...and inside it's a tight fit.
the showiest thing is a starbucks and a less than impressive waterfall.
trump toronto looks far more distinctive and slender and frankly interesting.
rochon's conclusions are faulty because her premises are faulty.
she clearly is making it up as she goes along...like that freaky ramble she did on green tinted glass that had no conclusion at all.

According to Zeidler Partnership, this puppy should rise at the rate of 'a floor every 4 days'- that is once the construction documents and plans are completed - read, approved and signed etc.
p5

That's fast. So Trump Tower should top within a year.

once again lisa rochon doesn't have a clue what she's talking about...at least as far as i am concerned.
trump new york is not that vulgar or even interesting. it looks like scotiabank only shorter...and inside it's a tight fit.
the showiest thing is a starbucks and a less than impressive waterfall.
trump toronto looks far more distinctive and slender and frankly interesting.
rochon's conclusions are faulty because her premises are faulty.
she clearly is making it up as she goes along...like that freaky ramble she did on green tinted glass that had no conclusion at all.

When an article requires a debate about what she is trying to say versus a debate on whether we agree with her point, maybe it was not a well written article afterall as others have stated.

Being from New York, maybe they didn't think much of it, this was just normal to them, working and building in very tight spaces.

Trump Toronto is just a regurgitation of a plan spearheaded by mostly local investors.

When an article requires a debate about what she is trying to say versus a debate on whether we agree with her point, maybe it was not a well written article afterall as others have stated.

I'll change my wording and say it was an entertaining read, well written in that she used higher than average mastery of the English language and several interesting metaphors and references. As to whether it stands up to scrutiny, its essentially an editorial opinion piece and so therefore it can neither be right or wrong but only disagree with the opinions of others. I am not sure why she chose to compare TTT to Trump Tower, NYC other than the name... they are two very different buildings to begin with. I do like the entrance and ground level treatment to his building in NYC, though I didnt venture inside the lobby when I was there... the comparison to Scotia Plaza is also one I tend to make.

I will stand by my earlier point about so much of the ground floor in TTT being taken up for delivery and vehicle access - since the building only has access for traffic on the same two sides that are the ones that face out to the street, this will quite likely detract from its overall "refined" appearance. I dont recall noticing a delivery ramp planted right next to the main entrance to Trump NYC.

I enjoyed this article. I find Trump Tower in New York to be very vulgar, above all at street level where it screams out in faux-gold-plated luxury-wannabee. Her observations about Trump Tower Toronto, which I found surprisingly restrained, gave me reason to re-think the building, to consider it in a new way. I'm not even sure she is making arguments, when I returned to the article I found it full of facts, with a few references that invite you to compare this building with others that have some of the same companies involved in the building of them.

I'll change my wording and say it was an entertaining read, well written in that she used higher than average mastery of the English language and several interesting metaphors and references.

Unfortunately the average level of English mastery is pretty low nowadays.

Back