The supplier isn't changing anything at this point. The lead time on fabrication is huge, especially for Trump considering the frames are coming in from China. I'd imagine the entire building has already been fabricated and is either in transit or is sitting down at the yard (the yard is somewhere in the port lands, off of Cherry, I think)

It's not like it's a huge deal to change those two windows, either. It'll get fixed sooner or later. As far as fuckups go that one is so minor that it wouldn't even account for a blip in installation. Even if they realized the glass was wrong on the frame they would've still had to install it because of the way everything interlocks. It's not like they would just shut down the job and send everyone home for two weeks while they wait for the replacement glass.

Of course not. But we've had a several week blip in installation. Any theory as to why?

From AndrewJM3D at SSC:

It's starting to grow on me now.

5245537616_99ac2b6e41_b.jpg

5245534844_a9c9efe83b_b.jpg

^^^ the roof height will be quite a bit shorter than the scotia tower, trumps height is supposed to be 256 meters and the scotia plaza height is 274 (according to skyscraperpage)

The half-onion dome will be below the roof-line of SP with only the spire (mast) extending beyond Scotia's roof-line. I think the original design was much taller, but they stumped the Trump.

Glad to see it's hiding the view of B/A from the south.

Going off-topic here. That is indeed the expression in English, but as usual it was mixed up in the translation from the French. The original French saying was on the lines of "Eating your cake, and then still having it (uneaten) too", meaning that you get to have two positive benefits (eating a cake, and possessing the same uneaten cake to eat later) where in real life one benefit eliminates the other. The usual English version is just expressing a commonplace situation -- having a cake and then eating it.

Off-topic digression over.

Well explained. I have always wondered about that. Not to further digress, well actually yes to further digress, it reminds me of an interesting point I heard a few weeks ago. We often hear that cancer kills X out of every 10 people and heart disease kills Y out of every 10 people, therefore it's imperative that we cure them because they are so deadly. What we don't talk about is that it's all a zero sum game anyway. When cancer deaths go down, heart disease deaths go up. People have to die somehow. Not sure how this really relates to the cake thing, but anyway...

I will get back on topic now. I work in Scotia Plaza and a lot of people around here are talking about how disappointing the Trump tower is, particularly from a materials standpoint. I think it's too early to make that call, and was actually quite surprised that people were thinking that way. My concern is that it might look a bit dated when it's finished because of how long it's been from design to completion.

Dreary Day @ 320 Bay Street

I guess we can only just hope that the crown finishes this tower off nicely.

Back