That is a classic!

The hotel part of all of this, meanwhile, remains high on Tripadvisor's list of best hotels in Toronto, #5 now, no longer #1. We have not been invited to America, but when we have been in the hotel portion, like the food served at America, we've seen that the rooms are wonderful, but the douchebaggy service in the restaurant does not cross over into the hotel. The hotel seems to be run very professionally with courteous, efficient service, nothing obsequious. As it's the one thing Trump seems to do well, I wonder if the sale of the building will result in a turnover of the contract to manage the hotel to another company, or if it might remain with Trump.

The current owners want the Trump name off the building, and recent articles have suggested that prospective purchasers want the same. I'm not sure one can have the Trump hotel management, but not the Trump branding, although one never knows what kind of settlement could emerge out of the current mess of litigation and insolvency proceedings. Obviously, if Trump (the company, not the candidate) is successful in its legal battle, both the branding and management will remain. If they are not, then I suspect both will be gone.

It's telling that the restaurant and hotel are managed by separate entities. Kind of surprised that O&B would be involved in a restaurant as tacky as the one Chris Nuttall-Smith visited in 2014. Does anyone know if they upped their game, or is it the same douchebag hangout?

That is a classic!

The hotel part of all of this, meanwhile, remains high on Tripadvisor's list of best hotels in Toronto, #5 now, no longer #1. We have not been invited to America, but when we have been in the hotel portion, like the food served at America, we've seen that the rooms are wonderful, but the douchebaggy service in the restaurant does not cross over into the hotel. The hotel seems to be run very professionally with courteous, efficient service, nothing obsequious. As it's the one thing Trump seems to do well, I wonder if the sale of the building will result in a turnover of the contract to manage the hotel to another company, or if it might remain with Trump.

Sadly, the stench from its namesake is going to take all the Kiehl toiletries to wash off, and then some.

AoD

It's not like Trump was not already know to be a vulgarian nor that his business history was without controversy when he was initially attached to this project. No, no one could have foreseen the particulars of what Trump would do in the years to come, but what has happened since is not out of character from what was known before. I don't therefore have a lot of sympathy for those involved in business dealings with Trump who are now facing the consequences of getting in bed with him.

I have a feeling that even amongst the rich, Trump isn't well liked. He acts nouveau riche, despite being the opposite. He thinks you get what you want and prove your worth by announcing you're rich. That's in addition to lavish (garish) displays of wealth. He's the epitome of 1980s junk bond culture who never got the memo.

Yeah, the overt racism is a new(ish) revelation, but certainly not expected.

He attracts people who want to be him, rather than people who truly want his expertise. That goes from Joe Scmhoe who maxes out his credit to pay for Trump U courses to the developer who thinks he can make a super-lux hotel/condo property. You got burned? Some of that lies in your own ignorance.

Yeah, the overt racism is a new(ish) revelation, but certainly not expected.

Kind of getting OT, but my hunch is that he is an opportunist par excellence - who might not believe in anything per se but will act like he does in order to sell - and the latter includes his mother and first-born. It's a special form of moral decrepitude, just not necessary the kind taken from face value.

AoD

Sadly, the stench from its namesake is going to take all the Kiehl toiletries to wash off, and then some.

AoD

Enough with all the political crap. If you're a Moderator you should know better. I come here to discuss building development and construction in order to get away from the 24/7 "news" cycle bombardment. Create a thread for this garbage in the real estate section or somewhere else.

Enough with all the political crap. If you're a Moderator you should know better. I come here to discuss building development and construction in order to get away from the 24/7 "news" cycle bombardment. Create a thread for this garbage in the real estate section or somewhere else.

This is a completed project - there is no project /development news to speak of - all that's left is the current kerfuffle over the finances of the project, name and the slumping occupancy rate, and politics is at the core of that.

And the public art piece..

AoD

Last edited:

Back